Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about airborne school

My first question may be kind of dumb but I want to know,
    Can any MOS go to airborne school or it just the 11 series?

For anyone who has been what was your experience and would ohh recommend it?

Re: Question about airborne school

Originally posted by iTwitchE View Post

Airborne School Prerequisites:
    Officer, Warrant Officer, enlisted personnel, and cadet volunteers less than 36 years of age on the date of application. General Officers, Field Grade Officers, Warrant Officers in grade W-3, W-4, and W-5 and enlisted personnel in pay grade of E-5 and above may be considered for a waiver of age when the examining medical officer recommends to the unit commander that such a waiver be granted. (In short: Any MOS can attend)

Must meet the physical qualification for parachute duty established in AR 40-501.

Male/Female must pass the Army Physical Fitness Test (APFT) with a score of 180 points (60 points in each event using the 17-21 year age group scale) and meet the height and weight standard IAW AR 600-9. APFT will be administered to the students on the first day of the airborne course.

Course Scope:

Ground week-Don and adjust the main and reserve parachutes, identify components inside a C130/C17 aircraft and respond to actions inside the aircraft using the "mock door", exit the 34-foot tower, execute parachute landing falls, execute parachute landing falls off the lateral drift apparatus, perform methods of recovery.

Tower week-Respond to jump commands (C130/C17) and execute individual and mass exits using the mock door, demonstrate proficiency in fixed-wing aircraft exits from the 34-foot tower wearing combat equipment, demonstrate techniques for deploying the reserve/MIRPS/SLCP, control the risers from the suspended harness, execute parachute landing falls correctly from the swing landing trainer, execute a drop from the 250-foot free tower.

Jump week-correctly don and adjust the parachute, MIRPS/SLCP and combat equipment, respond to jump commands inside an aircraft, control body position after jumping from an aircraft until parachute opening shock, control the parachute during descent, execute a parachute landing fall, controls the parachute upon landing while making five parachute jumps from an Air Force aircraft.
    Last edited by SF Hunter; January 3rd, 2013, 11:40 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SF Hunter View Post
      Airborne School Prerequisites:
      Officer, Warrant Officer, enlisted personnel, and cadet volunteers less than 36 years of age on the date of application. General Officers, Field Grade Officers, Warrant Officers in grade W-3, W-4, and W-5 and enlisted personnel in pay grade of E-5 and above may be considered for a waiver of age when the examining medical officer recommends to the unit commander that such a waiver be granted. (In short: Any MOS can attend)

Must meet the physical qualification for parachute duty established in AR 40-501.

Male/Female must pass the Army Physical Fitness Test (APFT) with a score of 180 points (60 points in each event using the 17-21 year age group scale) and meet the height and weight standard IAW AR 600-9. APFT will be administered to the students on the first day of the airborne course.

Course Scope:

Ground week-Don and adjust the main and reserve parachutes, identify components inside a C130/C17 aircraft and respond to actions inside the aircraft using the "mock door", exit the 34-foot tower, execute parachute landing falls, execute parachute landing falls off the lateral drift apparatus, perform methods of recovery.

Tower week-Respond to jump commands (C130/C17) and execute individual and mass exits using the mock door, demonstrate proficiency in fixed-wing aircraft exits from the 34-foot tower wearing combat equipment, demonstrate techniques for deploying the reserve/MIRPS/SLCP, control the risers from the suspended harness, execute parachute landing falls correctly from the swing landing trainer, execute a drop from the 250-foot free tower.

Jump week-correctly don and adjust the parachute, MIRPS/SLCP and combat equipment, respond to jump commands inside an aircraft, control body position after jumping from an aircraft until parachute opening shock, control the parachute during descent, execute a parachute landing fall, controls the parachute upon landing while making five parachute jumps from an Air Force aircraft.
      So pretty much you can be an airborne cook? That's legit.

I have another question as well. Does being airborne affect unit placement?

Comment

How does one go about making their unit aware they they are interested in attending Airborne school. I imagine that since the unit would be paying for it they would want someone who will certainty pass the course with flying colors.

so, What the chain of command for starting the process?

thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Nodoz View Post
          How does one go about making their unit aware they they are interested in attending Airborne school. I imagine that since the unit would be paying for it they would want someone who will certainty pass the course with flying colors.

so, What the chain of command for starting the process?

thanks
          Request it via your Training NCO. However, I believe TX ARNG is looking to do away with their ABN INF BN. I can't imagine too many units that would just be "paying for [Airborne School]" these days.

Comment

Originally posted by iTwitchE View Post

As it has been covered many times, being "able" to go, and getting to go are two very distant things. The chances of getting airborne school funded for someone that doesn't absolutly need it (which in the guard is few and far between) just isn't very high, although possible.

Comment

Originally posted by Polo08816 View Post
              Request it via your Training NCO. However, I believe TX ARNG is looking to do away with their ABN INF BN. I can't imagine too many units that would just be "paying for [Airborne School]" these days.
              This is a accurate statement. One of the biggest Airborne units in the Guard and they are doing away with it and taking them off Airborne Status. A lot of unhappy paratroopers in TX.

Comment

Working...
              X