X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ts/sci

Ok, so I haven't been on in a few months. For those of you that have followed my posts I have been trying to figure out an MOS that would fit me and have hit roadblocks left and right (mostly dealing with civilian conflicts). Well it is looking like I may be stuck in NC for a few years so I am back to square one. I have contacted my local recruiter and will be sitting down with him next week or so but I wanted to do independent research before that time. I was hoping that someone could point me in the direction of a list of MOS's that rate/require a TS/SCI. I am interested in EOD but I am unsure that I want to take on an MOS with a year old AIT right now (despite knowing that all TS/SCI MOS's will be long). This will allow me to look into the options and have a plan of attack for my meeting with the recruiter neither of us is wasting our time. I did a google search and one on these forums but was flooded with information that was a little off the mark.

Thanks

Re: Ts/sci

Originally posted by ajdeployed12 View Post
    Ok, so I haven't been on in a few months. For those of you that have followed my posts I have been trying to figure out an MOS that would fit me and have hit roadblocks left and right (mostly dealing with civilian conflicts). Well it is looking like I may be stuck in NC for a few years so I am back to square one. I have contacted my local recruiter and will be sitting down with him next week or so but I wanted to do independent research before that time. I was hoping that someone could point me in the direction of a list of MOS's that rate/require a TS/SCI. I am interested in EOD but I am unsure that I want to take on an MOS with a year old AIT right now (despite knowing that all TS/SCI MOS's will be long). This will allow me to look into the options and have a plan of attack for my meeting with the recruiter neither of us is wasting our time. I did a google search and one on these forums but was flooded with information that was a little off the mark.

Thanks
    What is your motivation for wanting that clearance?

Comment

Well I did Infantry for 8 years and I want to to something new. This time I am trying to do something I find interesting but still gives me good transferable skills. I may be reapplying to the FBI (I screwed up Phase II interview) or other jobs on the civilian side in which I will be more competitive. It is just a starting point to see if any of them appeal to me, not the deciding factor. I am also looking at jobs that have the potential to be sent to SRT and Sniper School (probably not going to happen because of not wanting to be in the infantry anymore)

Comment

Well I did Infantry for 8 years and I want to to something new. This time I am trying to do something I find interesting but still gives me good transferable skills. I may be reapplying to the FBI (I screwed up Phase II interview) or other jobs on the civilian side in which I will be more competitive. It is just a starting point to see if any of them appeal to me, not the deciding factor. I am also looking at jobs that have the potential to be sent to SRT and Sniper School (probably not going to happen because of not wanting to be in the infantry anymore)
        The FBI and other popular alphabet agencies (mainly those in LE) will give two diddlys whether or not you have a TS/SCI clearance in the military. They are going to conduct their own independant investigation anyways.

Comment

Originally posted by ParalegalNCO1 View Post
          The FBI and other popular alphabet agencies (mainly those in LE) will give two diddlys whether or not you have a TS/SCI clearance in the military. They are going to conduct their own independant investigation anyways.
          Thank you for your opinion but I happen to know that it is a major component when evaluating individuals for Phase II interviews.

Comment

Thank you for your opinion but I happen to know that it is a major component when evaluating individuals for Phase II interviews.
            Yeah, but no. The biggest hurdle is their background investigation, that comes along with its very own polygraph. The DOD clearance is not given the weight that people think it is. Now, if you were denied the clearance, you're doomed from the word go. If you were granted the clearance, all it does it put you on a level playing field.

Comment

+1. That is the major assumption from servicemembers thinking that if they have a TS; that it will be transferable to a civilian job or federal LE and that is not the case. What it does tell employers is that since you have or received one; it shows that another organization granted you that clearance and it should expedite their process. That is all. 25B only requires a secret and IT jobs are of an abundance out in the civilian sector.

Comment

Don't bother responding, he'll just argue anyways.

Most of your MI MOSs require a TS. I wouldn't count on it for a huge edge over other applicants. EOD, would be a give you a better edge then the clearance.

Comment

Originally posted by RedLeg View Post
                  Don't bother responding, he'll just argue anyways.

Most of your MI MOSs require a TS. I wouldn't count on it for a huge edge over other applicants. EOD, would be a give you a better edge then the clearance.
                  His clarification was more accurate, I am talking about phase of the hiring process, him another. I understand that a majority of the time unless working for the DOD a TS will not transfer.

Comment

OPM conducts all backgrounds for the military and civilian-government jobs. However, as stated above, any special agent or federal law enforcement positon will conduct their own background investigation with poly. While it is an incentive, it won't be the reason you get hired.

FBI isn't a very military-friendly orginization, either. In fact, I've read in some place that the FBI does not permit current special agents to be in any reserve military. Look towards ATF, USMS, DEA, also. People get so hung up on FBI. While the nature of the work will be somewhat different, the job-series is the same and you will be doing a lot of the same things. Often times, you will work alongside agents from multiple agencies on cases, anyways.

Comment

Originally posted by ga12 View Post
                      OPM conducts all backgrounds for the military and civilian-government jobs. However, as stated above, any special agent or federal law enforcement positon will conduct their own background investigation with poly. While it is an incentive, it won't be the reason you get hired.

FBI isn't a very military-friendly orginization, either. In fact, I've read in some place that the FBI does not permit current special agents to be in any reserve military. Look towards ATF, USMS, DEA, also. People get so hung up on FBI. While the nature of the work will be somewhat different, the job-series is the same and you will be doing a lot of the same things. Often times, you will work alongside agents from multiple agencies on cases, anyways.
                      Not all agencies give a polygraph, such as the US Marshal Service, and ICE agents. There are others. Actually, there are more that don't poly than there are that do poly. It's just the popular ones everyone thinks of that do, FBI, ATF, USSS, DEA, DSS and USPIS all poly. Almost all the others do not.

DOD Directive 1200.7 designates FBI Agents and some other agencies as "Key" positions that allow them to discriminate and not allow you in the reserves. Although, there are some that still are able to do it. It isn't a rule that forbids it, it is a rule that allows them to say no if they want to.

Comment

+1. My understanding is that they HAVE to redo the investigation because the TS/SCI for the DoD does not carry over to the DoJ.

Comment

Actually......

We do give 2 diddlys about having a TS/SCI, especially for certain technical skills and support staff. It is much easier to bring on a GS or get approval for a contract (BAE, CSC, etc) if the applicant already has a TS/SCI.

Comment

Originally posted by Polo08816 View Post
                            +1. My understanding is that they HAVE to redo the investigation because the TS/SCI for the DoD does not carry over to the DoJ.
                            I think more recent guidance allows clearances to transfer more than in the past. But, just like in the military, just because someone is granted a TS/SCI..doesn't neccessarily mean they are qualified for a particular MOS based off Army standards. Sensitive LE postiions such as FBI agent is going to put more weight on certain events than a clearance adjudicator will which is why they will ALWAYS have an independant investigation, even if your clearance transfered.

Comment

Originally posted by jmclaughlin1701 View Post
                              Actually......

We do give 2 diddlys about having a TS/SCI, especially for certain technical skills and support staff. It is much easier to bring on a GS or get approval for a contract (BAE, CSC, etc) if the applicant already has a TS/SCI.
                              Are you talking about the Federal LE community when you say "we"....see the post I made above. There is still going to be a full background investigation and clearance for Law Enforcement sensitive postiions, such as a Secret Service UD Officer, and so fourth. There are many people out there with full active TS/SCI that were disqualified from numerous federal LE jobs both as sworn and unsworn positions.

Comment

Working...
                              X