X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air assault training

I am enlisting into the guard as an 11B and was interested in doing air assault training. Is this something to talk to my recruiter about or an issue to be handled when I get to basic and AIT? Any info/help would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Air assault training

Some states might still have the Air Assault incentive program that will secure a slot to AAS for enlisting or re-enlisting. My state had it for a minute, got a bunch of people to enlist under it and then pulled the funding so that nobody actually got the chance to go.

Talk to your recruiter about the possibility. For 11B's one of the best chances you have to attend airborne and air assault is right after AIT because both courses are offered at Ft Benning. If you do extrememly well on your final PT test and are offered airborne school I suggest you take it.

Some states use their funding better than others so it could be possible that your unit could send you to either or both later on, however you should take advantage of every opportunity you can while you are there.

Comment

Originally posted by SGT Juggernaut View Post
      Some states might still have the Air Assault incentive program that will secure a slot to AAS for enlisting or re-enlisting. My state had it for a minute, got a bunch of people to enlist under it and then pulled the funding so that nobody actually got the chance to go.

Talk to your recruiter about the possibility. For 11B's one of the best chances you have to attend airborne and air assault is right after AIT because both courses are offered at Ft Benning. If you do extrememly well on your final PT test and are offered airborne school I suggest you take it.

Some states use their funding better than others so it could be possible that your unit could send you to either or both later on, however you should take advantage of every opportunity you can while you are there.
      So how exactly does it work if it's in someone's contract and they pull funding so that no-one can actually go?

Also, I've heard of NGB picking up the tab for schools after AIT if a soldier does extremely well (high APFT scores) at basic. We had an E-2 go to Fort Benning's Combatives Level 1 and Airborne school all on the NGB's dime.

Comment

Only guarantee that happened to me is that I went from Guard to AD; and luckily had my first assignment with the 101st Airborne Division (Air Assault). Abundance of slots! But still a long OML.

Comment

It reminds me of when I was at the RTI and they held boards to determine who will go to AOCS. Candidates had to dress in Class As and do the entire dog and pony show. At the end of it, they were told that there's no funding for AOCS. Basically, they went through that entire process just for sh*ts and giggles.

Comment

Originally posted by Polo08816 View Post
            So how exactly does it work if it's in someone's contract and they pull funding so that no-one can actually go?

Also, I've heard of NGB picking up the tab for schools after AIT if a soldier does extremely well (high APFT scores) at basic. We had an E-2 go to Fort Benning's Combatives Level 1 and Airborne school all on the NGB's dime.
            Thats the best part, because its not a monetary incentive like a bonus or SLRP, its not something that is written into the contract you sign to re-up. I'm sure there is fine print with an asterisk somewhere that states "subject to available funding." My states recruiting command is under serious scrutiny right now even in the state paper and news because of massive scandals involving fraud. I wouldn't be surprised if some of the recruiters gave out the AAS slots to some of their buddies instead of to the people that enlisted for it.

Comment

Originally posted by SGT Juggernaut View Post
              Thats the best part, because its not a monetary incentive like a bonus or SLRP, its not something that is written into the contract you sign to re-up. I'm sure there is fine print with an asterisk somewhere that states "subject to available funding." My states recruiting command is under serious scrutiny right now even in the state paper and news because of massive scandals involving fraud. I wouldn't be surprised if some of the recruiters gave out the AAS slots to some of their buddies instead of to the people that enlisted for it.
              Are you with the CA ARNG? I heard they have a few AGR openings.

Comment

Originally posted by Polo08816 View Post
                Are you with the CA ARNG? I heard they have a few AGR openings.
                Nope, AZNG.

Comment

Working...
                X