X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flight Medic/En Route Critical Care Nurse/Combat MOS

Currently Im a 12B in the Guard. I plan to go to college to become a Nurse as well as get my Paramedic certification (I am already an EMT.) In the civilian world I want to work as a firefighter/paramedic and on my time off from that either as a flight nurse eventually or ER nurse. I'm not sure if I want to do ROTC for nursing though and become an officer in the Nurse Corps. This is because I want to be out in the field more and not in a hospital while deployed. If I was to become a nurse officer I would want to be a en route critical care nurse on a helicopter. The problem is I'm not sure if my state (Ohio) has MEDEVAC units or if they have nurses flying on those MEDEVAC helos? If I can't get on a MEDEVAC unit as a nurse I don't really want to do ROTC and become an officer. I would even be willing to go to a neighboring state to work on a MEDEVAC as a nurse but then I think I would have to pay Ohio back for my tuition. I'm not sure. If I cant be a nurse on a helo I'd want to reclass into 68W and become a flight medic. But once again if Ohio doesnt have MEDEVAC, thats not possible. If both those aren't possible, I would stay in an enlisted combat MOS or be a line medic because I want to be out in the field. I would still be going to school for nursing if thats the case but not do ROTC. But another reason I wanted to do ROTC is so theres no possibility of being deployed while I'm working through nursing school. Its hard enough by itself. Please any and all helpful advice is appreciated. Thank you very much.

(Also I've tried to find out if Ohio had any MEDEVAC units but I have not found anything)

Re: Flight Medic/En Route Critical Care Nurse/Combat MOS

Originally posted by fs3006 View Post
    Currently Im a 12B in the Guard. I plan to go to college to become a Nurse as well as get my Paramedic certification (I am already an EMT.) In the civilian world I want to work as a firefighter/paramedic and on my time off from that either as a flight nurse eventually or ER nurse. I'm not sure if I want to do ROTC for nursing though and become an officer in the Nurse Corps. This is because I want to be out in the field more and not in a hospital while deployed. If I was to become a nurse officer I would want to be a en route critical care nurse on a helicopter. The problem is I'm not sure if my state (Ohio) has MEDEVAC units or if they have nurses flying on those MEDEVAC helos? If I can't get on a MEDEVAC unit as a nurse I don't really want to do ROTC and become an officer. I would even be willing to go to a neighboring state to work on a MEDEVAC as a nurse but then I think I would have to pay Ohio back for my tuition. I'm not sure. If I cant be a nurse on a helo I'd want to reclass into 68W and become a flight medic. But once again if Ohio doesnt have MEDEVAC, thats not possible. If both those aren't possible, I would stay in an enlisted combat MOS or be a line medic because I want to be out in the field. I would still be going to school for nursing if thats the case but not do ROTC. But another reason I wanted to do ROTC is so theres no possibility of being deployed while I'm working through nursing school. Its hard enough by itself. Please any and all helpful advice is appreciated. Thank you very much.

(Also I've tried to find out if Ohio had any MEDEVAC units but I have not found anything)
    This sounds like a question to ask a recruiter. Have you talked to one yet?

Comment

I have not because I didnt think they would be able to help me. Its a complex situation/question. Not saying they couldnt point me in the right direction though.

Comment

This is an interesting career path. Why the heck would you want to juggle both Paramedic and RN lives? Especially considering the time and money you'd spend on just to become an RN. Flight nurse positions are also not easily obtained....as you may/hopefully know.

Comment

Working...
        X