Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Intel Jobs - Better to go Active or Guard?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Jobs - Better to go Active or Guard?

I'm considering enlisting in the military in an intel related MOS in order to eventually pursue a career in the intel field on the civilian side. I'd like to know if anyone can share any insight as to how feasible full-time employment is in the intel field (civilian or military) once AIT training is received in the Guard. Is it possible/likely that that a newly trained Guard soldier with a security clearance can find full-time employment? Or do these positions typically prefer greater military experience (such as active duty)?

I will have a four-year unrelated degree soon, but no other qualifications that would make me stand out to intel employers. I would prefer going through the Guard and being able to work full-time in intel, but I am concerned that AIT training alone wouldn't qualify me for these positions as I lack experience and therefore going active duty would be the better option.

Thanks for your time.

Re: Intel Jobs - Better to go Active or Guard?

The job market right now isn't great (no secret) most intel jobs are with the government and they usually require a lot of pre-requisite education and experience. Is your degree a Bachelors? If so, why don't you just go the officer route, it's better pay and it'll give you some time to strengthen your resume.

Comment

My degree is a Bachelors. I was a non-select applicant to be an Air Force intelligence officer. Intel is what I want to do, the Army and Marines cannot guarantee that I'll be branched intel and the Navy isn't my thing. Select chances for the non-rated board in the Air Force is very low (sometimes below 10-15%) and I cannot apply again to the Air Force until late next year. I'd rather go enlisted and hit the ground running once I graduate than wait around for a year on a chance of being selected. In general I'm trying to figure out that if I went into the Guard, is there much hope getting full-time intel work out of AIT.

Comment

Go active if you can.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaplain4me View Post
          Go active if you can.
          Do you have experience or know anyone to find employment in intel going through the Guard?

Comment

nope but after active duty, though I know several different types of federal agents also in the guard. i would go active duty because its a guaranteed job. Then after you can be in the guard and pursue federal employment.

i do know a LT that became a chaplain candidate after being a MI officer at a unit, said the MI drills were really boring.
            Last edited by Chaplain4me; October 20th, 2012, 08:29 PM.

Comment

My brother was an Intel Officer on the active side after graduation from West Point. Soon as his obligation was over he got out and was hired by DIA. He is a smarty pants though and impressed many along the way. He now is the head counter intel for a foreign country, he still deploys and does almost the exact same thing he did when he was in the Army. There are options out there for you but its so different now than it was ten years ago for employment.

Comment

Working...
              X