X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to become a recruiter

From first getting to your unit what is the best way to go about scoring a job as a recruiter. I believe you must be an E-4 to be one, but how hard is it to become one and what is the process? I have seen on my States' Website there are often ADOS -Active Duty Operational Specialties- that are temporary AD positions, and some of them seem to be Assistants for Recruiters and PFC's can hold the positions. To become a full time recruiter someday should you jump on these positions as much a you can until reaching E-4 to try and become a recruiter? I am young and am interested in a future as one, and just looking for information. Thank you.

Re: How to become a recruiter

Originally posted by TreyAR View Post
    From first getting to your unit what is the best way to go about scoring a job as a recruiter. I believe you must be an E-4 to be one, but how hard is it to become one and what is the process? I have seen on my States' Website there are often ADOS -Active Duty Operational Specialties- that are temporary AD positions, and some of them seem to be Assistants for Recruiters and PFC's can hold the positions. To become a full time recruiter someday should you jump on these positions as much a you can until reaching E-4 to try and become a recruiter? I am young and am interested in a future as one, and just looking for information. Thank you.
    Go meet the recruiting supervisor in your area and express your interest in any type of active orders should the chance become available to work in the R&R office. Recruiters are all AGR, so you would have to submit an AGR application should a vacancy exist and you qualify.

Comment

Originally posted by ParalegalNCO1 View Post
      Go meet the recruiting supervisor in your area and express your interest in any type of active orders should the chance become available to work in the R&R office. Recruiters are all AGR, so you would have to submit an AGR application should a vacancy exist and you qualify.
      Are AGR R&R highly saught after and difficult to obtain?

Comment

Why did you ask this question in the gear and equipment section?

Comment

Originally posted by Marine2Guard View Post
          Oh crap, sorry. I am on an iPod 2g, I thought I asked this in the General Questions section.

Comment

Originally posted by TreyAR View Post
            Are AGR R&R highly saught after and difficult to obtain?
            No not really, I would say that those positions are probably the easiest AGR positions to obtain. Of course, they also are one of the hardest to keep. Pretty much the only AGR's I've ever seen either quit or be fired have tended to be recruiters.

If you really want to be a recruiter you should start working with your local recruiters now. Volunteer to help at various events, learn from them them how to start selling the Guard and then bring them quality leads. If the NCOIC sees that you are already being productive and you aren't even on payroll, they'll probably see what they can do about getting you hired at least on ADOS orders.

Many states will have their recruiters on ADOS orders for a year first to see if they can cut it as a recruiter, then offer them AGR if they seem to be successful.

Comment

I can just see you ask this question with your black hat on.

Comment

Because...didnt you know sir, the "recruiter" is a valuable piece of equipement

Comment

Originally posted by HR NCO View Post
                  Because...didnt you know sir, the "recruiter" is a valuable piece of equipement
                  I've met some recruiters who were tools, which is a kind of equipment.

Seriously though, I was a recruiter for over three years, and I loved it. I was sad to leave, but that's the nature of the officer career progression. While I loved it, I understand why not everyone loves it. The ones who tend to do well and have a good experience are those who are self-starters, with an entrepreneurial spirit, focused on mission-accomplishment, take disappointment well, and have positive outlooks on life. Not everyone has the personality for it, so be realistic about it.

Comment

[QUOTE=matthew.ritchie;168706]I've met some recruiters who were tools, which is a kind of equipment.QUOTE]

If I said that I would be in trouble again

Comment

Originally posted by HR NCO View Post
                      No not really, I would say that those positions are probably the easiest AGR positions to obtain. Of course, they also are one of the hardest to keep. Pretty much the only AGR's I've ever seen either quit or be fired have tended to be recruiters.

If you really want to be a recruiter you should start working with your local recruiters now. Volunteer to help at various events, learn from them them how to start selling the Guard and then bring them quality leads. If the NCOIC sees that you are already being productive and you aren't even on payroll, they'll probably see what they can do about getting you hired at least on ADOS orders.

Many states will have their recruiters on ADOS orders for a year first to see if they can cut it as a recruiter, then offer them AGR if they seem to be successful.
                      Thank you very much.

Comment

Originally posted by matthew.ritchie View Post
                        I've met some recruiters who were tools, which is a kind of equipment.

Seriously though, I was a recruiter for over three years, and I loved it. I was sad to leave, but that's the nature of the officer career progression. While I loved it, I understand why not everyone loves it. The ones who tend to do well and have a good experience are those who are self-starters, with an entrepreneurial spirit, focused on mission-accomplishment, take disappointment well, and have positive outlooks on life. Not everyone has the personality for it, so be realistic about it.
                        Thank you. I know I meet those traits and it does interest me, even as a young highschooler. I appreciate your input.

Comment

I just came on AGR a month and a half ago. First, the job has to be posted. You then submit your packet. If you meet the requirements, you will go to the board. If you score higher than everyone else on the board, you will get selected. After getting selected, you go to the SQI4 (Basic Recruiting Course) course.

I would suggest if this is something you really want to do, study AR 601-210. Most questions of the board came from there.

So far, I enjoy recruiting. You have to be a self starter life mentioned above, but overall, there is a lot of flexibility of what you can do.

Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by 11BSoldier View Post
                            I just came on AGR a month and a half ago. First, the job has to be posted. You then submit your packet. If you meet the requirements, you will go to the board. If you score higher than everyone else on the board, you will get selected. After getting selected, you go to the SQI4 (Basic Recruiting Course) course.

I would suggest if this is something you really want to do, study AR 601-210. Most questions of the board came from there.

So far, I enjoy recruiting. You have to be a self starter life mentioned above, but overall, there is a lot of flexibility of what you can do.

Good luck.
                            Great advice! Here's AR 601-210 for reference.

Comment

Working...
                            X