X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Light Leader's Course

I've recently attended the Light Leaders Course (LLC) hosted by the NJ RTI. Successful completion of the course awards a soldier the Additional Skill Identifier of "B2".

It is a 2 week course designed to enhance an 11B skills as a fireteam leader and squad leader. It was designed for CPL, SGT, and SSG but we had E-3 to O-2 attending the course. It is not supposed to be a gentlemen's course - therefore, ACUs will be sterile. In my opinion, this is a good thing so that everyone may learn from each other as equals.

Graded events:

8 mile Ruck March

Standard: 8 miles with 35+lbs rucksack in under 2 hours and 0 minutes

In order to pass this, you will need to be able to ruck 8 miles at the EIB pace. This is not hard if you show up to the course in shape. We did a 4 mile and 6 mile ruck before doing the 8 miler for record. Nearly everyone passed this event, even if they did not make pace on the 4 and 6 miler. Obviously the terrain makes a big difference; the flatter the course, the easier it is to make time. Our fastest guys accomplished this in about 1 hour 27 minutes.

Land Navigation

Standard: 3 of 5 points (I don't remember the time standard exactly. It might have been 3 hours.)

We were tested on land navigation at Fort Dix. This course is not hard. The distances between points are no more than 700m. I used terrain association and never used the protractor or compass. On a personal note, I dislike using a protractor; it's imprecise. If you know the start and finish grid coordinates and basic geometry, the co-tangent of your horizontal and vertical vectors is far more precise to base your azimuth. We had more failures on this than the 8 mile ruck.

*Note: I've posted a link to USGS maps for land navigation in case you would like to practice on your own.*

Final exam (written)

Standard: 70%

A multiple choice exam covering all the power points during the course.

Failing graded events
    You will be given an opportunity to re-test. If you fail again, you will earn a Marginal AER on your DA-1059.

Class Ranking/AER

There will be a Honor Grad. The top 20% of the class will earn an "Exceeds course standards" AER on their DA-1059. Based my experience, if you hit 5 out of 5 points on the land navigation and ace the final exam, you will be within the top 10% of the class as long as you pass the 8 mile ruck.

Other events:

AT4, Claymores, Hand Grenades
    What can I say? It's fun to shoot real AT4s, throw hand grenades, and set off claymore mines.

Checkpoint Operations
    This event could have been improved. Maybe the spacing was due to instructional purposes, but it would have been a good class on how to get everyone blown up by a single VBIED.

Urban Operations
    We had a company mission at a MOUT site to clear a village and to establish a combat outpost for follow on full spectrum operations. Other tasks included setting up an ECP and conducting ambushes after the combat outpost was established. It was an awesome lane and everyone learned a lot. This day of training was worth coming to LLC for 2 weeks. In my opinion, your training experience is really dependent on your instructors; if a course correctly utilizes very experienced NCOs, soldiers will benefit immensely.

Convoy operations
    We were provided 10 Humvees for the duration of the FTX which is something that you'll probably never see if you belong to a light infantry company. A lot of practical training was focused on IED detection, avoidance, and handling. We did incorporate key leader engagements as well as CASEVAC/MEDAVAC scenarios during the convoy operation lane. Easily the 2nd most useful lane for LLC.

Reflexive Fire
    As I've said before, the military should really contract out small arms training to providers that specialize in it. I've written a review on this before. The private sector has taken the standard instruction taught by the military and has adapted and improved it to the point where they are far more efficient and effective in the application of small arms (excluding crew served weapons) fire.

Other improvements:

Communications
    SINCGARS are a thing of the past. HARRIS handhelds and two-ways are the way to go for this course. This suggestion is more for cadre/course managers.

Pictures:

Planning a mission (PLT OPORD):

My platoon:

Last edited by Polo08816; October 18th, 2012, 09:10 PM.

Re: Light Leader's Course

Claymores:

AT4:

Graduation:

After spending about 2 weeks doing beach runs every morning but not being able to get in the water...

Comment

Thanks for the course description and photos! How did you get a slot/find out about it?

Comment

Originally posted by USAForever View Post
        Thanks for the course description and photos! How did you get a slot/find out about it?
        My pleasure!

We found out about it through our BN. Basically, NJ had to spend what was left of their budget before the new fiscal year. The Light Leaders Course was put together last second. We didn't know about it until 7-14 days before it was to start.

It's not likely to happen again. The end of the fiscal year is a very strange time - unpredictable.

Comment

Originally posted by Polo08816 View Post
          Claymores:

AT4:

Graduation:

After spending about 2 weeks doing beach runs every morning but not being able to get in the water...

Hey LT Kuo, I was in class 001, with LT Murphy in 1st PLT. How did you get a hold of the class pics??? I couldn't find the NCO's who had the disks after the graduation. Can PLEASE send them to me via EMail or send me a POC of where to get a copy? Thanks. If you can email me a copy of the disk I would GREATLY apreciate it!
          Last edited by RyCass; October 16th, 2012, 08:48 AM. Reason: Personal email posted

Comment

Originally posted by n2bracing View Post
            Hey LT XXX, I was in class 001, with LT XXX in 1st PLT. How did you get a hold of the class pics??? I couldn't find the NCO's who had the disks after the graduation. Can PLEASE send them to me via EMail or send me a POC of where to get a copy? Thanks. If you can email me a copy of the disk I would GREATLY apreciate it!
            Hey bud. We're using Google Drive. I'll shoot DeLima an email to have him add you as a shared member.
            Last edited by Polo08816; October 18th, 2012, 12:17 PM. Reason: Personal email posted

Comment

USGS Maps for Land Navigation

This may be useful for those who would like to practice land navigation.

jwarren and I stumbled upon this site. You can download USGS topographic maps for free in the event that soldiers may want to practice land navigation on their own.

http://www.usgs.gov/pubprod/ Maps-> Download free topo maps.

You place a marker around the area of interest. Click on the marker and it'll list the different types of maps you can download (PDF) format for free. The "(city) US TOPO" maps are the ones that will have contour lines and standard MGRS grid lines.

I would recommend use some sort of trail oriented GPS device so you can always reference your current position for safety issues.

Comment

Originally posted by Polo08816 View Post
                I've recently attended the Light Leaders Course (LLC) hosted by the NJ RTI. Successful completion of the course awards a soldier the Additional Skill Identifier of "2B".
                You mean B2. 2B is the ASI for Air Assault School

https://pamxxi.armyg1.army.mil/Selec...MosUnclas.aspx

If you follow the link, click Agree, go to MOS charts, MOS structure, Enlisted, Charts, Get report, it will list all Army MOS' along with the ASI's and SQI's that are most commonly associated with that MOS. At the very bottom it has the most up to date ASI and SQI list. It even has the SQI for 1st SFOD-D. Just thought I would share the info with everyone.
                Last edited by Explosive Hazard; October 18th, 2012, 07:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SGT Juggernaut View Post
                  You mean B2. 2B is the ASI for Air Assault School

https://pamxxi.armyg1.army.mil/Selec...MosUnclas.aspx

If you follow the link, click Agree, go to MOS charts, MOS structure, Enlisted, Charts, Get report, it will list all Army MOS' along with the ASI's and SQI's that are most commonly associated with that MOS. At the very bottom it has the most up to date ASI and SQI list. It even has the SQI for 1st SFOD-D. Just thought I would share the info with everyone.
                  I stand corrected. Thanks for catching that.

Comment

Hello dude!!i want to join the light leaders course because i want to join the Army that why i choose this..if any online classes of this course have..i join this course as soon as possible..any body helpm me ???

Last edited by Mlko222; November 19th, 2013, 12:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mlko222 View Post
                      Hello dude!!i want to join the light leaders course because i want to join the Army that why i choose this..if any online classes of this course have..i join this course as soon as possible..any body helpm me ???
                      Uh. I'm pretty sure this course is not offered as Distance Learning.

Comment

Working...
                      X