Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Career in the military

Originally posted by Polo08816 View Post
    I'm confused... and...

You can be a Ranger in the infantry in the Guard, you just ant be in the Ranger Regiment. That will usually ensue the "why makes someone a ranger argument"

Comment

Originally posted by ParalegalNCO1 View Post
      I love ya polo, but I have to flick you on this one.

Do you think OP has even the slightest clue what that means?! Lol
      I was hoping this potential future officer would be able to conduct a simple Google search. If he did, he's ahead of the game for a 17 year old.

Originally posted by ParalegalNCO1 View Post
      Accounting wasn't mentioned, an that is usually guaranteed employment around 40-60K
      +1. Accounting has one of the lowest unemployment rates. It also happens (usually CPA) to be an in-demand skill for federal law enforcement (1811 series) as well. I did forget to mention it but that list was not exclusive by all means. The good thing about accounting is one does not need to go to a brand name private school and rack up huge amounts of debt. State universities generally offer decent and well respected accounting programs.

Comment

Originally posted by Polo08816 View Post
        I was hoping this potential future officer would be able to conduct a simple Google search. If he did, he's ahead of the game for a 17 year old.

+1. Accounting has one of the lowest unemployment rates. It also happens (usually CPA) to be an in-demand skill for federal law enforcement (1811 series) as well. I did forget to mention it but that list was not exclusive by all means. The good thing about accounting is one does not need to go to a brand name private school and rack up huge amounts of debt. State universities generally offer decent and well respected accounting programs.
        True...with AACSB accreditation

Comment

Yup thats why I changed my major from education to Accounting. It set me back about 3 years but hey I did what I had to do and hopefully I will be graduating next Spring.

Comment

Originally posted by show_stopper999 View Post
            I honestly think that my situation is one of the few times that a Liberal Studies degree is an okay decision. I have a LS degree that is composed of computer programming, a class in engineering, sociology, and computer networking classes all mashed together into the only degree they form. I opt'ed for the LS degree because it lessened the amount of time until i could get a degree and I already have a career and in my line any accredited degree will do, whether nuclear physics or a BS in napping.

I wanted the degree quicker so I could check the "i have a degree" box for my civilian and military positions, and it will help with the civilian promotion potential.

Unless you are in a situation similar to mine....get a BS in a STEM area. As a side note, my masters degree is at least an MS.
            That is the same I did when I attended the BGS program at UCONN. An excellent adult education program.

I focused on the IT track.

http://cetl.uconn.edu/bgs/

Wow, I cannot believe its been more than 11 years ago that I left this place. That my degree has afforded me experience in three combat tours lol. Amazing, how life turns out at times.

http://www.stamford.uconn.edu/admissionscontact.html
            Last edited by Chief Kemosabe; October 6th, 2012, 11:46 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X