X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wlc

Does anyone know what is like to attend WLC? I would appreciate any feedback from anyone who has attended recently...

I was wondering if you have to take a PT test while you are there for two weeks...

Thanks.

Re: Wlc

You used to have to, then it went away, now it is back again. I dont know when the effective date is but if you are not enrolled to attend yet, i'd assume by the time you get there you will have to take the test as it was brought back and there is a recent effective date.

Comment

Plan on taking one. As a leader you should be able to pass the PT test at any given time right?

Its been almost 5 years since I went to WLC so I'm sure some things have changed. We spend maybe 5 days in garrison getting killed with powerpoint and getting evaluated on leadership in a garrison environment. During this time you will conduct skill level 1 training classes with your peers(teaching the class), go over D and C, and lead a PT session. The rest of the course is spent in the field going over skill leve 1 battle drills like react to contact, hasty ambush etc. Easy stuff. During this time you are again graded on leadership while in a field environment. Those in the platoon SGT position and the platoon leader position are graded. About halfway through the course you get tested in land nav both written and practical exercise out in the field, although I have heard that the land nav has been taken out which in my opinion is a huge mistake.

Comment

Soldiers enrolled in Professional Military Education schools and courses will no longer continue institutional training or remain in the course if they cannot meet physical fitness and/or height and weight requirements. This policy change is effective for PME Courses starting on or after 1 NOV 12. " "

I read my S1NET! lol

Comment

Originally posted by WIBecky74 View Post
          Soldiers enrolled in Professional Military Education schools and courses will no longer continue institutional training or remain in the course if they cannot meet physical fitness and/or height and weight requirements. This policy change is effective for PME Courses starting on or after 1 NOV 12. " "

I read my S1NET! lol
          Thanks everyone for the feedback, I just read my S1NET and it looks like the new policy for APFT goes in effect Nov. 1, 2012.

Comment

One of my Soldier just got back from WLC a couple weeks ago. Things you'll be tested on include leading a PT session and D&C, so make sure you are up to speed on leading those 2 things.

Comment

I went in AUG this year. PT tests return for any class starting after this month. The course for the most part is easy. The hardest part is staying awake in class all day. It's 10 days of death by powerpoint. Then 2 day FTX (days only) and graduation.

Kepp your notes, handouts, and slide organized. Everything is the computer. Tests are "open book" and you can use anything on the computer... except the internet!

Comment

Originally posted by jaydez View Post
                It's 10 days of death by powerpoint. Then 2 day FTX (days only) and graduation.
                One change we were just notified of is that it has just changed to 17 days now. We had to inform everyone going that they'll be there a couple extra days.

Comment

Originally posted by jaydez View Post
                  I went in AUG this year. PT tests return for any class starting after this month. The course for the most part is easy. The hardest part is staying awake in class all day. It's 10 days of death by powerpoint. Then 2 day FTX (days only) and graduation.

Kepp your notes, handouts, and slide organized. Everything is the computer. Tests are "open book" and you can use anything on the computer... except the internet!
                  Wow only 2 days in the field? I suppose with the wars winding down the transition into garrison Army has started.

Comment

Thanks much for the information, but this might be a stupid question, but doesn't matter whether or not you know any cadences as I assume you will be tested when marching your squad.....thanks...

Comment

Not when I went through. The majority of people suck at calling cadence so its not something that should be graded. However, it would be in your best interest to refresh on some cadences and learn a few before you head over just so that its not too awkward when you lead formation. Walking 5-10 minutes to the chow hall seems a lot longer of a walk when there is no cadence.

Comment

Originally posted by MDJV212 View Post
                        Thanks much for the information, but this might be a stupid question, but doesn't matter whether or not you know any cadences as I assume you will be tested when marching your squad.....thanks...
                        For the testing you don't use cadence. You are just tested on the movements. Attention, Parade Rest, At ease, Rest, Left Face, Right Face, About Face, Forward March, Column Left/Right, Column Half Left/Right, Left/Right Flank, Rear March, Mark Time, Halt.

I think that is all the movements

Comment

And then you do it again in ALC.

Comment

Thanks....

Comment

I'm leaving for WLC soon at Camp Williams, UT and I heard the elevation there is 5000 feet. I was wondering if they do the record PT test in the beginning or end of WLC. I am not used to that kind of elevation and I assume it will effect my PT test and I want to do my best. I figure if they conduct the PT test at the end of WLC then I will have a couple of weeks to acclimate to the elevation.

Sorry if this is considered hijacking the thread. It is on the same subject(WLC) and most likely the other readers would want to know this too.

Comment

Working...
                              X