X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Schools Guard/Reserve

Well it seems that things are quickly falling apart for my transition from USMC AD to ARNG. That being said I was thinking back to a post

http://www.nationalguard.com/forums/...ight=free+fall

about MFF and the fact that no NG member outside of SFG would get a spot. I was wondering if this was similar to the Army Reserves. I am attracted to the Guard because of the state mission but it looks like I may need the flexibility of the Reserves (ability to move without HOPING for a IST). Just wondering if someone could give me some unbiased updated thoughts. Most of the Reserve v. Guard threads that exist are not very constructive and have turned into "My dad is better than your dad." I already have a degree so education benefits are not that vital to me.

Re: Schools Guard/Reserve

Military schools exist to prepare Soldiers for their assignments. If you don't have an assignment that requires the school, then why would the military send you? They aren't designed to serve as rewards or incentives, although they have been used that way at times. As a taxpayer, I would hope that the Army only sends a Soldier to such an expensive course as MFF if he has a demonstrable need for the skill to perform his military function, and not for any other reason.

Comment

Given that much of the "HOOAH" schools are geared toward infantry, I would think it makes more sense to join the Guard as the Reserves have little to no combat units.

I will also agree with what LTC Ritchie said about usefulness of schools and tax dollars. This also applies towards some out there who think they can just change their MOS at will or specialize in multiple MOS just because. It costs a lot of money to train each soldier for every week they are at training.

Comment

For both the NG and USAR, hoohah school funding and quotas are going to be really driven off of the type of unit. NG SF units get a lot of money/schools, USAR CA/PYSOPS get a lot of money/schools. There's more to it but those are easy examples. In the end, it's as much as a peronsal choice vs any real pros/cons that NG or USAR offer.

Comment

Originally posted by matthew.ritchie View Post
          Military schools exist to prepare Soldiers for their assignments. If you don't have an assignment that requires the school, then why would the military send you? They aren't designed to serve as rewards or incentives, although they have been used that way at times. As a taxpayer, I would hope that the Army only sends a Soldier to such an expensive course as MFF if he has a demonstrable need for the skill to perform his military function, and not for any other reason.
          Agreed! Using MFF as an example and referring back to the thread I was wondering about Parachute Rigger etc. Once again this is only an example...I have heard references to other schools that may not be required by T&R (USMC only term?) but authorized and good to have (ie sniper for non scout sniper platoons that rate the school).

As with any plan, mine is quickly falling apart and I am trying to stay flexible and adjust accordingly and I am finding that my lack of knowledge of how things work on the other side is severely limiting.

Comment

Working...
          X