Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Civilian Jobs for Fresh Outta Training 68W?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Civilian Jobs for Fresh Outta Training 68W?

Hi, I was going to join Active Duty Army as a 68W, but there has been complications with being able to enlist after I get my GED. So, I've decided it'd be best for my career and relationship to join The Guard. I plan on enlisting under the GED Plus Program.

My question is: What are some entry level medical field jobs for 68W Guardsmen to do while, say, going to school to get EMT-P certified?

Thank you all in advance!

Re: Civilian Jobs for Fresh Outta Training 68W?

it really depends on what you want to do on the civilian side. You could probably hook up with a local ambulance or fire department as a medic or EMT, but only after you have finished that training. Here in Virginia where I live, a lot of Fire Departments also want you to be ALS (Advanced Life Support) certified (not sure about 68W training or what certs you get) but you can make really good money doing that kind of thing.

Comment

After 68W school you will have the NREMT-B certification which is a national certification on the Basic level. You can get a job as an EMT-B for an ambulance company. Fire Departments usually want you to have Paramedic certification. However, the Whiskey side of training gives you a lot more advanced training than civilian EMT-B does. You learn Advanced Airway techniques including IV Therapy and trauma injuries. IMO, we should come out with the EMT-Intermediate certification. I've heard they are looking to restructure it so we will.

My husband works for Rural Metro which is a huge ambulance company with branches in almost every state. They will send you to Paramedic school AND pay for it too! Have you taken your ASVAB yet? Study up for it because you need a decent score to qualify for the job and slots are limited so make sure you check with the recruiter!

Comment

The VA has some specific opportunities for veteran medic applicants in select cities at VA hospitals in the emergency departments.

Comment

You can also apply at just about any hospital as a Patient Care Technician. Most work in the ER, some work in other departments. I had a friend who did that for a bit and all she did was watch people sleep. Another worked in the ER for many years and enjoyed it.

Comment

Originally posted by Austin Blackman View Post
            Hi, I was going to join Active Duty Army as a 68W, but there has been complications with being able to enlist after I get my GED. So, I've decided it'd be best for my career and relationship to join The Guard. I plan on enlisting under the GED Plus Program.

My question is: What are some entry level medical field jobs for 68W Guardsmen to do while, say, going to school to get EMT-P certified?

Thank you all in advance!
            Why not enroll at a college or university and use the combination of your state education benefits and your GI Bill to earn a full fledged degree?

Comment

Originally posted by jwarren View Post
              Why not enroll at a college or university and use the combination of your state education benefits and your GI Bill to earn a full fledged degree?

Agreed. You will get much farther this way.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr_Loki View Post
                Agreed. You will get much farther this way.
                This is why I don't pay much attention to recent veterans complaining about finding jobs. A lot of these guys have multiple tours in Iraq and Afghanistan and think that society owes them a job now. Not so. We are given the GI Bill benefits specifically because it's understood that military experience does not often translate to civilian qualifications. I have scarcely any sympathy for veterans who have not bothered to go get a degree in a marketable field but want to complain about being unable to find work. Maybe that's unsympathetic, but it just seems so obvious that in the CIVILIAN world, you want CIVILIAN qualifications.

Comment

I am typically one of the most ardent naysayers regarding inflated 68W claims of success and delusions of gradure on the forums (and elsewhere). However, I can't completely fault the OP for considering obtaining a Paramedic license a reasonably direct, and fullfilling way to eek out an entry level career. Particularly, if he may not have the scholastic aptitude to take on a 4 year degree. A "full fledged" undergraduate degree in psychology might manage to land you a $10 an hour job, but a Paramedic license in large portion of the metropolitan United States can earn over twice that; particularly after gaining a bit of experience. The 68W MOS is financially useless as Basic EMT's can barely command a salary 20% above minimum wage, but Paramedics can earn a professional wage in a variety of systems and markets.

For the "Gold Standard" in Paramedic wages, I've linked the 2011 JEMS EMS Salary Survey.

http://www.jems.com/sites/default/fi...y%20Survey.pdf

You can see the national average is JUST shy of $50K, with the western US boasting well into the low to mid $60ks on average.
                  Last edited by Mongoose772; September 14th, 2012, 11:31 PM.

Comment

vetjobs.co have thousands of job openings all the time

Comment

Working...
                    X