X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cook Question/Situation

Hello all!! I have a quick question that on face may sound silly, but nonetheless important to me. I am planning on enlisting into the national guard soon. I have a masters degree, and was going to try the officer route last year, but was unable because I was in the middle of the forclosure process on my townhouse (housing market is terrible as many know). I decided that enlisting would be a good idea, especially since the SLRP is a possibility, and I have 40K in loans from my Masters degree. I want to enlist as a cook and my recruiter told me that there was two positions in my state. One was in a Transportation unit and the other was in a Cav unit. Which unit do you think would be better for a cook? I know the Cav unit goes to the field a lot on their weekends so I figure that I would have a lot of time to actually cook for the soldiers. Another question would be do the cooks in combat units have similar responsibilites to the soldiers responsible for fighting. Both units have very good reputations, but I believe Cav unit a little better. There are some other jobs, many of which are mechanic jobs which I have no interest in and a few others I may consider, but I always considered being a cook/chef in high school and I do enjoy to cook. I am currently in law enforcement and think cooking would be fun on my drills. Thoughts???

Also, people, and I mean recruiters, keep telling me that in a few years I should be eligible for a secret clearance. Do you think this is possible? Are people in these situations able to get clearances down the road. I would still love to commission one day, and am perfectly fine enlisting. The only reason I cannot get the clearance now is because of the forclosure.

Re: Cook Question/Situation

I will ask the recruiter to take you to both units. Personally, I will pick transportation because those truckers have fun.

Comment

Originally posted by jimlv View Post
      Hello all!! I have a quick question that on face may sound silly, but nonetheless important to me. I am planning on enlisting into the national guard soon. I have a masters degree, and was going to try the officer route last year, but was unable because I was in the middle of the forclosure process on my townhouse (housing market is terrible as many know). I decided that enlisting would be a good idea, especially since the SLRP is a possibility, and I have 40K in loans from my Masters degree. I want to enlist as a cook and my recruiter told me that there was two positions in my state. One was in a Transportation unit and the other was in a Cav unit. Which unit do you think would be better for a cook? I know the Cav unit goes to the field a lot on their weekends so I figure that I would have a lot of time to actually cook for the soldiers. Another question would be do the cooks in combat units have similar responsibilites to the soldiers responsible for fighting. Both units have very good reputations, but I believe Cav unit a little better. There are some other jobs, many of which are mechanic jobs which I have no interest in and a few others I may consider, but I always considered being a cook/chef in high school and I do enjoy to cook. I am currently in law enforcement and think cooking would be fun on my drills. Thoughts???

Also, people, and I mean recruiters, keep telling me that in a few years I should be eligible for a secret clearance. Do you think this is possible? Are people in these situations able to get clearances down the road. I would still love to commission one day, and am perfectly fine enlisting. The only reason I cannot get the clearance now is because of the forclosure.
      If you are really interested in cooking, I would visit any unit that you can and find out who is actually cooking. Many Army cooks unfortunatly don't get to cook much, because a lot of it is contracted out, however in the Guard units I have been in it is usually the units cooks preparing the meals for drill weekends.....not all of them do that though, so you may want to choose a unit that actually cooks.

Comment

Originally posted by ParalegalNCO1 View Post
        If you are really interested in cooking, I would visit any unit that you can and find out who is actually cooking. Many Army cooks unfortunatly don't get to cook much, because a lot of it is contracted out, however in the Guard units I have been in it is usually the units cooks preparing the meals for drill weekends.....not all of them do that though, so you may want to choose a unit that actually cooks.
        +1. Good luck finding them. My limited experiemce with cooks in the Guard like 10 years ago...they didnt cook, just prepped and served it. Otherwise, it is largely contracted out.

Comment

Agreed. My unit (Div HQ) has a platoon of cooks that cook for each Det in Armories. When we are in the field we get a DFAC and our cooks prepare and serve the food as well.

Some units use their cooks, most dont. IMO, go Cav. Tho, those truckers DO love to eat.

Comment

Here is a thread I can contribute to as this is exactly up my alley.
            I am a cook in the National Guard with an MP unit in New Hampshire. I am also in law enforcement so jimlv I felt like you I was reading about myself. At my unit when we go to the field for drill we cook. Yes some meals are catered but for instance when I go to AT in October we will be cooking 12 of the 14 days in the field breakfast and dinner on the mobile kitchen. Since I am in a unit that actually uses cooks my Commander and First Seargent are extremely supportive. For instance last drill my platoon seargent and company Commander told us to just cook and only worry about cooking. There are 3 cooks in my section including me and we are damn good too. Every AAR we get excellents across the board so absolutely no one messes with us. I have found being a cook in the Army to be a great break from law enforcement. However if you think becoming a cook in the National Guard will make you a chef then you are mistaken. Your education is no more then any short order cook in a cafeteria but I love it. Also you can get promoted quickly as a cook. If you have the time in grade and can fill a spot in another unit you can get your stripes. As of right now I am an E-4 but will be an E-5 soon enough because the slot is there and I will be MOS qued in October. This is mainly because nobody wants to fill those slots because most soldiers do not want to be cooks.
            I hope this helped and I also want to apologize for the other members here I have aggrivated with my annoying post count.

Comment

Working...
            X