X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sapper school after basic?

I enlisted as a 12b and my unit is a Sapper unit. My recruiter said I will go to Sapper school after basic. Is this true? With me being assigned to a sapper unit, I would think this would be a requirement. So what do you guys think?

Re: Sapper school after basic?

Did you mean he said you will NOT go?

Schools still cost a lot of money. Money that is drying up for everyone in one way or another. They could be prioritizing soldiers to send.

Comment

It is not even in the realm of possibilty since the Sapper Leader Course requires a waiver even for E-4s to attend (endorsement by your company and battalion commder, to the first 0-6 in your command). I will bet that at least 90% of your company is not Sapper qualified and if they cared about sending guys to that course, there would be an order of merit list. I would give a higher percentage but sapper companies are pretty small.

Comment

Originally posted by ZAK606 View Post
        I enlisted as a 12b and my unit is a Sapper unit. My recruiter said I will go to Sapper school after basic. Is this true? With me being assigned to a sapper unit, I would think this would be a requirement. So what do you guys think?
        In Texas there is an Airborne unit that sends everybody in a leadership position (NCOs/Officers) to Ranger school. If you fail, you get re-assigned to a regular infantry battalion. Maybe your unit does the same? Call the unit and ask!

Comment

Not even in the realm of possibity. I'm in a Sapper company and in 4 years we have only sent one person to Sapper Leader Course. I've been waiting to go for 4 years, sitting at #1 on the battalion OML for 3 years. Be prepared to get to your company and wait in line. One of the biggest reasons is SLC doesn't produce an ASI or SQI so funding is tricky when it comes to writing the school as a requirement on the unit MTOE and UMR. That is until just recently. Now it produces an ASI of S4 but it can't be written into MTOE/UMR till October 13. Maybe I'll get a chance to go in a year lol!

Comment

Working...
          X