X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sniper School

So I am exiting the Marine Corps (8 years infantry, E-5) in a within the next 90 days, looking to continue my service in the Guard. I was leaning primarily toward a Flight Medic job but USMC Sniper School is my one loose thread (failed stalking). So I was rethinking my decision and thought about going MP (don't feel like destroying my body in Infantry or Calvary Scout) just wondering if someone with more expertise on the Army and NG could give me some insight. For example, yes MP’s CAN go to sniper school but they never do, etc.

Also correct me if I am wrong but it is my impression that the only MOS's that qualify is Infantry, Cav Scout and MP.
    Last edited by ajdeployed12; August 12th, 2012, 01:55 PM.

Re: Sniper School

I dont think you cant break your body as an MP but you sure can. Take it from me who was one. Also, with the Guard, you mostly likely will be an MP in an MRAP than working the road doing garrison patrols and we have just the same firepower as light infantry.

Those schools are real selective and since I am active duty Army (former active duty Marine), you have to be in units that can get those slots. I am in an Infantry Division so many of the Infantry BNs have them listed for their soldiers who want to attend. But they are few and far between.

Why not go Army active if you looking for that type of training? Chances will be better.

Comment

Looking to get out of the active duty side of the house, I guess that I might as well stick with Flight Medic.

Comment

I believe lately there is more emphasis on Squad Designated Marksmen as opposed to actual snipers, since there are so few of them. It is a 2 week course and gives the soldier some training in primarily engaging a little further out, whereas snipers shoot even further and obviously do a lot more than that. I also believe a SDM just uses a modified/tricked out assault rifle.

Still a course that needs to be paid for....so good luck with that.
        Last edited by SteveLord; August 12th, 2012, 10:41 PM.

Comment

Sniper School as a MP in the NG? Never going to happen. Ok, maybe never was the wrong word. More like 1 in 100000000000000000000000000 chance that will ever happen. So basically never. To go to sniper school in the NG you will have to be infantry and you will all most certainly have to belong to a scout/sniper platoon in an infantry battalion's HHC. In that section the B4 ASI for sniper school is assigned to certain slots and money is supposed to be allocated to funding those schools. In the NG its not just about funding for schools, its also about justification for schools. Think about it this way, if a MP company has money for cool schools why would they send someone to get an ASI of B4 in a platoon where it isn't even assigned if there are K9 ASI's assigned with no one qualified? The priority is to get those K9 ASI's filled and any other relevent ASI's for that platoon and company first. And even that can be like pulling teeth!

Comment

Originally posted by SGT Juggernaut View Post
            Sniper School as a MP in the NG? Never going to happen. Ok, maybe never was the wrong word. More like 1 in 100000000000000000000000000 chance that will ever happen. So basically never. To go to sniper school in the NG you will have to be infantry and you will all most certainly have to belong to a scout/sniper platoon in an infantry battalion's HHC. In that section the B4 ASI for sniper school is assigned to certain slots and money is supposed to be allocated to funding those schools. In the NG its not just about funding for schools, its also about justification for schools. Think about it this way, if a MP company has money for cool schools why would they send someone to get an ASI of B4 in a platoon where it isn't even assigned if there are K9 ASI's assigned with no one qualified? The priority is to get those K9 ASI's filled and any other relevent ASI's for that platoon and company first. And even that can be like pulling teeth!
            It makes sense, I am just unfamiliar with the way you army dogs do business. Like I said above, I will probably pursue Flight Medic then.

Comment

Working...
            X