X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Career Options/Suggestions

Leaving active duty (8 years USMC Infantry Assaultman, Sgt) but I want to continue to serve in the NG or ANG. Anyone have any MOS suggestions? Right now I am looking at Oregon for civilian employment and kinda leaning toward Flight Medic but I am open to suggestions and ideas because there are always those "hidden" MOS's that no one seems to know about. Thanks in advance!!

Re: Career Options/Suggestions

While you may get a variety of decent "ideas" here on the forums, speaking with a RRNCO from Oregon will give you a much better handle on what avaliblity in general that particular state currently has. Flight medic (68W20F) is not a specific MOS, but simply a 68W who is on flight status in an Air Ambulance unit, or in some rare cases works for the Flight Surgeon's detachment and is on flight status. Finding a vacancy, particularly with no background may be difficult, but you could be fortunate enough to find a position.

Comment

Originally posted by Mongoose772 View Post
      While you may get a variety of decent "ideas" here on the forums, speaking with a RRNCO from Oregon will give you a much better handle on what avaliblity in general that particular state currently has. Flight medic (68W20F) is not a specific MOS, but simply a 68W who is on flight status in an Air Ambulance unit, or in some rare cases works for the Flight Surgeon's detachment and is on flight status. Finding a vacancy, particularly with no background may be difficult, but you could be fortunate enough to find a position.
      I am an EMT-B so I have a little experience in the EMS field. I am also a Marine Corps Combat Lifesaver with Advanced Combat Trauma Training; I also understand the difference between the MOS and billet that you brought up...one of the benefits to the NG, I know where I am going. Currently I cannot seem to get a hold of an Oregon recruiter (3+ weeks) and based upon past experiences they will only talk to me about what vacancies are currently open not a comprehensive list of what is potentially available in the future so I can plan. Also Oregon is not currently a solid plan so I really am looking for ideas that may trigger an interest; specifically some of the MOS's that are relatively unknown...UAV pilot for example.

Comment

Here's a general list of the MOS' the National Guard offers: http://bit.ly/NV47ng

When you say you've been trying to connect to a recruiter, have you even talked to one yet? Or have you not been able to get that far? I would recommend checking out the Pre-Qualification form online. You should get connected to a recruiter within 10 business days: http://bit.ly/JMCld5

Comment

Well I have a background in medicine but it sounds like the Flight Medic gig is not going to work due to the unit not providing appropriate training and requiring you to get it on your own time/dime which is not an option for me.... while not a final answer yet it doesn't look good. Kinda interested in EOD but the school is so long (+ follow on training) I think would have a negative effect on my upcoming civilian career + my wife doesn't want me to do it. Back to square one it seems! :/
          Last edited by ajdeployed12; August 24th, 2012, 06:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ajdeployed12 View Post
            Well I have a background in medicine but it sounds like the Flight Medic gig is not going to work due to the unit not providing appropriate training and requiring you to get it on your own time/dime which is not an option for me.... while not a final answer yet it doesn't look good. Kinda interested in EOD but the school is so long (+ follow on training) I think would have a negative effect on my upcoming civilian career + my wife doesn't want me to do it. Back to square one it seems! :/
            I'm not sure what you mean by this. Can you be more specific? What training is the unit insisting you get and pay for yourself?

Comment

Originally posted by RyCass View Post
              I'm not sure what you mean by this. Can you be more specific? What training is the unit insisting you get and pay for yourself?
              While the big Army just changed the Flight Medic standard to Paramedic and has a course in TX to accomplish this. However, apparently this hasn't filtered down to the Guard level. Long story short they are looking for people to do medical full time and not weekend medical warriors. I am still waiting for a phone call from the "Gatekeeper" but I don't expect them to take a basic 68W with no additional training when they will not be providing any additional. I was told that they would send me to the paramedic course only if I was going to deploy.

I would attend the training myself, at least at the EMT-I level but the job I am trying to get has such a revolving schedule (3 days on, 3 days off 6-6; switching from nights to days every 3 months) that taking a course of that length would be impossible.

Comment

Originally posted by ajdeployed12 View Post
                While the big Army just changed the Flight Medic standard to Paramedic and has a course in TX to accomplish this. However, apparently this hasn't filtered down to the Guard level. Long story short they are looking for people to do medical full time and not weekend medical warriors. I am still waiting for a phone call from the "Gatekeeper" but I don't expect them to take a basic 68W with no additional training when they will not be providing any additional. I was told that they would send me to the paramedic course only if I was going to deploy.

I would attend the training myself, at least at the EMT-I level but the job I am trying to get has such a revolving schedule (3 days on, 3 days off 6-6; switching from nights to days every 3 months) that taking a course of that length would be impossible.
                So, this sounds more like an AGR job. Am I understanding you correctly? If that's the case, it makes more sense why you wouldn't be able to do both your civilian job AND train for a full time position. It sounds like you would need to choose one career over the other.

Comment

Originally posted by RyCass View Post
                  So, this sounds more like an AGR job. Am I understanding you correctly? If that's the case, it makes more sense why you wouldn't be able to do both your civilian job AND train for a full time position. It sounds like you would need to choose one career over the other.

No, not an AGR job. They just want people who do medical in the civilian world too (Paramedics, Nurses, etc.) who already have a higher level of training. They MAY take me with EMT-B and 68W but I doubt it if they are not going to provide additional higher level training.

Comment

Working...
                  X