X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Squad Designated Marksman School

About how long after becoming an 11b would it take someone to get a slot to Sdm school if meeting all requirements? I know there is a required rank, but Roughly, how long would it take someone to reach that rank? What are someones chances at a slot at the school if all reqs are met? Thanks P.s. What is a SDM usually issued? And like during training do they set aside their 7.62 rifle for an m4?

Re: Squad Designated Marksman School

Originally posted by TreyAR View Post
    About how long after becoming an 11b would it take someone to get a slot to Sdm school if meeting all requirements? I know there is a required rank, but Roughly, how long would it take someone to reach that rank? What are someones chances at a slot at the school if all reqs are met? Thanks P.s. What is a SDM usually issued? And like during training do they set aside their 7.62 rifle for an m4?

Comes down to: .... (drum roll)... Funding.

Comment

Originally posted by Polo08816 View Post
      Comes down to: .... (drum roll)... Funding.
      Heres a dumb question... But could someone pay their own way if given the opportunity to go?

Comment

You want to pay all that money just to get an ACOG? Wait till you are up, make sure you do what you need to do for your unit to send you when they can send you.

Comment

But roughly how long does that oppurtunity take after becoming an 11b?

Comment

It all depends on your unit. There is no set time period. If you are in a high-speed unit and you prove to them you are ready, then shouldn't take you long. I think you have to be atleast E4, but too sure on that. So that's say atleast two years in your unit. Just keep asking them for more responsibilities and prove your worth to them.

Comment

Heres a dumb question... But could someone pay their own way if given the opportunity to go?
              The military is not that kind of business. It would open up way too many blackholes. Even if it were possible, it would be stupid expensive. The military spends a lot of money on just 1 soldier for 1 day of training. They can't even figure out how to give soldiers their money appropriately and on time....so let's not start giving them any.

Comment

I swear someone made the same type of thread, same topic, and asked the same question before. I remember reading this a while back.

And after a little research, it was you: http://www.nationalguard.com/forums/...ghlight=treyar

So basically after having asked the SAME DUMB question before, you decided to ask the SAME DUMB question again. That officially makes you not too bright.

Please do not join the Army.
                Last edited by Polo08816; June 8th, 2012, 04:32 PM.

Comment

Given that you have already asked this fundamentally unanswerable question numerous times in the past on these forums, I'm going to convey as explicitly as possible (and somewhat speculatively) why it is that your post has bothered some of the members here.

There is a reason why we say that we serve in the military rather than work for it. That reason is the fact that certain aspects of our careers, if they are to be called that, are chosen on the basis of their value to the Army and, ultimately, to the nation. This is in contrast to work in the private sector, in which pure ambition, rather than service, is the order of the day.

What I am getting at here is that you have implied by your continuous obsession with one specific job/MOS/role in the military and the tools that accompany said position (the weapons) that you are driven primarily by self-aggrandizement and personal ambition for the achievement of a title held by men whose motivation lies in another realm; namely, that of service. Simply being a rifleman is not enough for you; you won't be satisfied until you resemble as closely as possible the various exaggerated illustrations of super-tough soldiers that have infected our decadent pop culture.

That said, there is nothing wrong with having ambition and seeking out tough assignments -- as long as a component of that ambition is the desire to serve in a more demanding position and you have the confidence in your ability to bring some value to said position.

I suggest that you re-examine your reasons for seeking the position of SDM and try to identify why it is that you're not comfortable with just being a rifleman. Until you can clearly articulate that sentiment, I dare say you aren't prepared to serve in the military in any capacity.

Comment

Well hold on a second while it is very unlikely that a soldier could afford to go on his own dime, if they could or you found that token soldier who comes from a wealthy family, than honestly why not? Let them pay to go, the Army can make a profit, the Soldier gets what he wants and everyone is happy.

Comment

Originally posted by o13starsnstripes View Post
                      Well hold on a second while it is very unlikely that a soldier could afford to go on his own dime, if they could or you found that token soldier who comes from a wealthy family, than honestly why not? Let them pay to go, the Army can make a profit, the Soldier gets what he wants and everyone is happy.
                      You are not serious right? Once we start that then we become an Army of those who are not trained the best, but those who could afford to go. Thats the combat answer. The legal answer...it violates the joint ethics reg.

Comment

Originally posted by ParalegalNCO1 View Post
                        You are not serious right? Once we start that then we become an Army of those who are not trained the best, but those who could afford to go. Thats the combat answer. The legal answer...it violates the joint ethics reg.
                        Well I'm not saying that it should be limited to those who can pay for it because the vast majority can't but what I'm saying is that if a token soldier that comes from a very wealthy family has the money and wants to go I say why not? Look lets be honest in these budget cut times we are living in the Army should look for ways to raise revenue in anyway they can. Just think about how much more profitable it would be if it was run like a business?

BTW I am very serious

Comment

Ya'll do realize this kid is not even in high school or perhaps, just got there. He is asking questions about JROTC on another one of his posts....

Too much time playing Call of Duty, this one has been.....

Comment

Originally posted by Polo08816 View Post
                            I swear someone made the same type of thread, same topic, and asked the same question before. I remember reading this a while back.

And after a little research, it was you: http://www.nationalguard.com/forums/...ghlight=treyar

So basically after having asked the SAME DUMB question before, you decided to ask the SAME DUMB question again. That officially makes you not too bright.

Please do not join the Army.
                            I saw that other thread and you just gave me the LAUGH OUT LOUD thread pic of the day.

http://assets.yodawgpics.com/hashed_...d/knifegun.jpg

This poster is FutureEnginer square. I meant square as the opposite of power like 2 to the 3rd power .

Comment

Originally posted by jwarren View Post
                              Given that you have already asked this fundamentally unanswerable question numerous times in the past on these forums, I'm going to convey as explicitly as possible (and somewhat speculatively) why it is that your post has bothered some of the members here.

There is a reason why we say that we serve in the military rather than work for it. That reason is the fact that certain aspects of our careers, if they are to be called that, are chosen on the basis of their value to the Army and, ultimately, to the nation. This is in contrast to work in the private sector, in which pure ambition, rather than service, is the order of the day.

What I am getting at here is that you have implied by your continuous obsession with one specific job/MOS/role in the military and the tools that accompany said position (the weapons) that you are driven primarily by self-aggrandizement and personal ambition for the achievement of a title held by men whose motivation lies in another realm; namely, that of service. Simply being a rifleman is not enough for you; you won't be satisfied until you resemble as closely as possible the various exaggerated illustrations of super-tough soldiers that have infected our decadent pop culture.

That said, there is nothing wrong with having ambition and seeking out tough assignments -- as long as a component of that ambition is the desire to serve in a more demanding position and you have the confidence in your ability to bring some value to said position.

I suggest that you re-examine your reasons for seeking the position of SDM and try to identify why it is that you're not comfortable with just being a rifleman. Until you can clearly articulate that sentiment, I dare say you aren't prepared to serve in the military in any capacity.
                              And this post was simply awesome. Should make readers adam's apple gulp due to awe. I applaud you for your eloquent and innocuous response.

Comment

Working...
                              X