X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adding the Guard to your Resume

I just enlisted last month, and while I'm happy to have a job, there are reasons that I want to look for a new one. I was going to wait till I got back from Basic at the end of the year, but I just received an email informing me that there is a military job fair in Houston in a couple weeks that I wanted to go to. I want to update my resume before I go. Does anyone have any tips or resources for adding military experience to a resume? is it presumptuous of me to add it before I've gone through basic? I plan on being up front with anyone I talk to and let them know how green I am, but I do want to take advantage of this opportunity.

Re: Adding the Guard to your Resume

This is a tough one. I have done this before myself and it filling in the job description was very difficult (primarily being that I was infantry). What is your rank, MOS and position if it applies?

Comment

I'm a HUGE advocate of putting your military experience on your resume... That being said, I wouldn't do it in this situation. It's just very hard for you to put anything in the infomational section about what you do and have done... It would be fictitious. You could add in somewhere that you are a member of the guard, but don't elaborate much. If they ask, be up front. Remember, all an interview is is selling yourself. You can do it, just let them know that the Guard will help you in the future become an even better employee

Comment

Originally posted by SteveLord View Post
        This is a tough one. I have done this before myself and it filling in the job description was very difficult (primarily being that I was infantry). What is your rank, MOS and position if it applies?
        PFC, 11B, idk what you're asking for with the last question. as in position in the civilian world?

Seeing as it is a military career fair, i would like it on my resume somewhere, but I of course will be up front with the potential employers. I'll probably lead with "now i just joined and won't go through basic till the fall, but i was hoping to put my foot in the door now...." or something like that.

Comment

Originally posted by TexasGuard View Post
          PFC, 11B, idk what you're asking for with the last question. as in position in the civilian world?

Seeing as it is a military career fair, i would like it on my resume somewhere, but I of course will be up front with the potential employers. I'll probably lead with "now i just joined and won't go through basic till the fall, but i was hoping to put my foot in the door now...." or something like that.

Good choice on what you should do and say.
          Position= he means like what is your job within the unit. You may be infantry, but a driver. Etc.

Comment

Oh, still new to this. Will that be assigned to me when i report to my unit after basic?

Comment

yes. Just sometimes people get specialty positions before hand. Nothing to worry about now. Concentrate on training and soak it all in. Any knowledge is important.

Comment

Thank you for the advice, sir.

Comment

No problem, good luck! Do us a favor also... After you return from the job fair, come back and post about your experience. i'm sure some people here haven't been to one and would like to get some background knowledge.

Comment

Indeed. "Position" was specifically geared toward mostly higher ranking individuals that may hold leadership or fulltime positions with specific responsibilities.

Comment

Ensure that you describe your military service in a manner relevant to your employer. Don't just list "Laser Death Ray Mechanic (Second Class)." Describe what you did in a way that your future employer will care about.

"Responsible for maintenance and upkeep of a $1.2M piece of equipment, with less than 2% downtime."
                      "Maintained accountability for three new personnel; integrated them into the team; taught them team procedures and standards."
                      "Dealt with members of foreign nations on a weekly basis, negotiated mutually beneficial schedules and performance standards."

Don't lie, don't embellish, but do think about what you've done and what that means. Stress that you can work with different kinds of people, that you keep cool under pressure, that you sacrifice your personal short-term comfort for the team's long-term success, and you are basically trustworthy. The employers that don't care about those things are the employers that you don't want to work for anyway.

Comment

For reference here's what I have in my resume for my time in the Marines (as a general guideline). Although the LtCol's advice is sound, you should have probably add what your specific job entails. I haven't because being a gun rock is pretty self explanatory, and I like to have the interviewer asking about the service so I can describe it more personally.

Originally posted by My Resume
                        MILITARY SERVICE:

United States Marine Corps- August 2004-August 2008

MOS- 0811 Field Artillery Cannon Crewman

Type of Discharge- Honorable

Rank at Discharge- Corporal (E4)

Military Awards:
                        Combat Action Ribbon
                        Marine Corps Good Conduct Medal
                        National Defense Service Medal
                        Iraq Campaign Medal (3rd Award)
                        Sea Service Deployment Ribbon (2nd Award)
                        Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
                        This is formatted with bullets, indents etc. but it doesn't transfer onto these forums very well....

Comment

You can mention your military background in your objective on your resume or like I did; listed its own section under "work experience". Like the LTC wrote, place it if its relevant to the position that you are applying; not something that can be referred to on your DD214. (e.g. awards)

I applied for a civilian IT position and my time in the Guard and the Marine Corps, I worked in that MOS or related to that MOS in the IT field. Those time frames added to the years of experience that I was applying for. Just dont add it to impress anyone. It will come up during an interview. Maybe.
                          Last edited by Chief Kemosabe; June 2nd, 2012, 12:45 AM.

Comment

Just curious about something if you had anything less than an Honorable discharge would you still list your service? Say you had a General discharge?

Comment

Why not? It is still honorable service and it is still experience. Experience in getting fired. lol
                              Last edited by Chief Kemosabe; June 4th, 2012, 07:09 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X