X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Specialty schools

My recruiter keeps promising me that I'll eventually get to go to Airborne school even though there is no Airborne group in the state and all I keep hearing about are cutbacks. I'm starting to think joining the Reserves might have been a better chance of actually getting one of these slots.

Comment

Originally posted by Solrider View Post
      My recruiter keeps promising me that I'll eventually get to go to Airborne school even though there is no Airborne group in the state and all I keep hearing about are cutbacks. I'm starting to think joining the Reserves might have been a better chance of actually getting one of these slots.
      I'm not so sure about this, but joining the USAR certainly will get you promoted faster.

Comment

Originally posted by Polo08816 View Post
        joining the USAR certainly will get you promoted faster.
        Why is that?

Comment

I too have ran into the same problem with my Ranger slot. Now I am leaving for Afghanistan in a few days, and my unit just started announcing Mountain warfare, AA and Ranger slots. I am trying to transfer to a LRS unit when I get back.

Comment

Well, those were some varied responses ... I didn't mean to hit such a touchy subject!!!

And being a female, I'm not trying to get into Ranger school, etc. I personally think that those schools are just fine the way they are
            But I would like the opportunity to get to do some other cool stuff, if given the chance. I'll just keep kickin' it at PT and ask my unit when my training is done!

Comment

Originally posted by NY ARNG Woodard View Post
              Why is that?
              From what I understand, it's how they cross-level their soldiers. Also, you can fill vacant slots in a larger geographical area compared to a NG soldier who has to compete for a slot within their state unless they IST to another state.

Comment

From what I understand, it's how they cross-level their soldiers. Also, you can fill vacant slots in a larger geographical area compared to a NG soldier who has to compete for a slot within their state unless they IST to another state.
                That makes sense about NG soldiers being restricted to their state. What does it mean to "cross-level" soldiers? I'm a noob...

Comment

The state has retention issues because they play HILARIOUS games. I was told that if I managed to get a Ranger Physical done, they would fund Ranger School. However, they will not cut you orders/get you a Ranger Physical. Then when you get to IBOLC, they tell you they are more than happy to get you a Ranger Physical as long as you could show that you were reserved on ATTRS for Ranger School. Why doesn't the state just say, "Hey, not only am I d*cked up, I'm also broke." and stop playing the Catch 22 games? The RNCO, TNCO, and I just laughed, and I didn't spend any more time on the subject.
                  No ******* joke. I've been playing a similar game with Sapper Leader Course. I've even been submitted and reserved a slot in ATTRS only to have it cancelled at the state training level due to "lack of funding." Funny how that same year our state sent back hundreds of thousands of dollars in unused training funds. It seems that getting a slot is more a political game then it is being a highspeed soldier who earns the slot. I've been #1 on the battlion OML list for 2 years, even promised by my BC that he would get me to SLC slot. Well, very close to 3 years later still have not made it to SLC. We deploy at the end of the year and I'm hearing again that they have the money now and will get me into the school before we deploy. Naturally I have my serious doubts. Its because of this reason and these kinds of games and empty promises that when I get back from my deployment I'm saying goodby. I will most likely IST but I'm considering leaving the NG all together.

Originally posted by Solrider View Post
                  Your from AZ? You wont get an airborne slot.

Getting back to topic women can attend most of the highspeed schools in the military, however their chances of getting slots are even more slim than it is for men. Mostly because those kinds of schools are given to combat arms units more often than combat support.

Comment

Originally posted by SGT Juggernaut View Post
                    No ******* joke. I've been playing a similar game with Sapper Leader Course. I've even been submitted and reserved a slot in ATTRS only to have it cancelled at the state training level due to "lack of funding." Funny how that same year our state sent back hundreds of thousands of dollars in unused training funds. It seems that getting a slot is more a political game then it is being a highspeed soldier who earns the slot. I've been #1 on the battlion OML list for 2 years, even promised by my BC that he would get me to SLC slot. Well, very close to 3 years later still have not made it to SLC. We deploy at the end of the year and I'm hearing again that they have the money now and will get me into the school before we deploy. Naturally I have my serious doubts. Its because of this reason and these kinds of games and empty promises that when I get back from my deployment I'm saying goodby. I will most likely IST but I'm considering leaving the NG all together.

Your from AZ? You wont get an airborne slot.

Getting back to topic women can attend most of the highspeed schools in the military, however their chances of getting slots are even more slim than it is for men. Mostly because those kinds of schools are given to combat arms units more often than combat support.
                    After using State Tuition Waiver for a BS Computer Science, (possibly) MS Computer Science and (possibly) a JD - part time, NJ will have outlived its usefulness. Hopefully I can devote some time to brush up on my Chinese (Mandarin) and test out on the DLPT.

I should be a senior CPT at that point if all goes well. Couple this with no funding for schools in the future, the belief that I would fare better in a more centralized promotion system like the USAR, and the typical faster promotion in the USAR makes the USAR the only viable option or just get out altogether. The only thing that would entice me to stay in the ARNG is minimum time in grade promotions.

Comment

The USAR also has a force structure one third smaller than the Guard's, and fewer types of units. Also, if you got offered a promotion in a unit 1000 miles for home, would you consider that helpful?

You never miss an opportunity to tell the forum how the USAR promotes people fast than the Guard, although I have yet to see your evidence for that assertion.

Comment

Originally posted by matthew.ritchie View Post
                        The USAR also has a force structure one third smaller than the Guard's, and fewer types of units. Also, if you got offered a promotion in a unit 1000 miles for home, would you consider that helpful?

You never miss an opportunity to tell the forum how the USAR promotes people fast than the Guard, although I have yet to see your evidence for that assertion.
                        Comparing the USAR region to strictly my state, it would seem as if the USAR is larger. You can't compare to the "entire" Guard. There are no surrounding states that are so understrength they would put a 1LT(P) right into a company command slot never mind the admin inconveniences and delays of an IST.

If you could be part of the NJ ARNG for just a month, you would have all the evidence you need. Ask EOrsini, showstopper_999, jwarren, etc. as they are all current members of the NJ ARNG. It has been a generally accepted consensus that USAR promotes faster than NJ ARNG. We all know marginally rated officers that went (1LT) NJ ARNG -> IRR -> USAR (CPT) faster than their superior peers. We also see the USAR units on Ft. Dix with 2LTs as XOs and 1LTs as company commanders.

Perhaps VA ARNG is just better than NJ ARNG all around?

Comment

Comparing the USAR region to strictly my state, it would seem as if the USAR is larger. You can't compare to the "entire" Guard. There are no surrounding states that are so understrength they would put a 1LT(P) right into a company command slot never mind the admin inconveniences and delays of an IST.
                          You tell me not to compare the entire Guard to the entire USAR, but that is exactly what you have done several times.

If you could be part of the NJ ARNG for just a month, you would have all the evidence you need. Ask EOrsini, showstopper_999, jwarren, etc. as they are all current members of the NJ ARNG. It has been a generally accepted consensus that USAR promotes faster than NJ ARNG. We all know marginally rated officers that went (1LT) NJ ARNG -> IRR -> USAR (CPT) faster than their superior peers. We also see the USAR units on Ft. Dix with 2LTs as XOs and 1LTs as company commanders.
                          "Data" is not the plural of "anecdote." You've made a serious claim several times on the basis of very little evidence.

Perhaps VA ARNG is just better than NJ ARNG all around?
                          I won't make that claim based on a single incident.

Have you considered that you've misinterpreted the data completely? If one restaurant is mobbed, and another restaurant next door has no one in it, which one do you think is the better restaurant? Perhaps the claim (uncorroborated at this point) that USAR has so many vacancies should be a warning and not an enticement.

The point is not that the NJ Guard or the USAR is a good or bad organization, but that you've made a bold claim based on very limited evidence. Readers of this forum may make career decisions in part based on what you have written, and they deserve better than this. Until you can substantiate this claim with something more than a feeling that you and your friends share, it would be irresponsible to broadcast it.

Comment

I'm late to the party(seems to happen sometimes, I'm fashionable though )... but OP- keep in mind that not every school has to give you a badge on the uniform to prove value. CLS, Anti-Terrorism, Combatives, SARP, etc can all give AMAZING training value and a wealth of knowledge. Though it was hard to stay awake sometimes, I learned a TON in both SARP(Sexual Assault Response and Prevention) and Anti-Terrorism. To be honest, I learned more in those classes that could help me down the line than I did in Air Assault and Airborne... But Air Assault was just WAYYYYYY cooler lol

Comment

I won't make that claim based on a single incident.

Have you considered that you've misinterpreted the data completely? If one restaurant is mobbed, and another restaurant next door has no one in it, which one do you think is the better restaurant? Perhaps the claim (uncorroborated at this point) that USAR has so many vacancies should be a warning and not an enticement.
                              Sure, the grass may not be greener on the other side, but by that time it doesn't matter. By the time I fulfill my obligation (6 years), I would have been able to get all that I needed out of the Guard. I'm not a careerist and I don't mind getting out if things aren't what I expected. The USAR is not perfect, and the NJ ARNG less so.

The point is not that the NJ Guard or the USAR is a good or bad organization, but that you've made a bold claim based on very limited evidence. Readers of this forum may make career decisions in part based on what you have written, and they deserve better than this. Until you can substantiate this claim with something more than a feeling that you and your friends share, it would be irresponsible to broadcast it.
                              Clearly, I disagree with you on whether what I have said is "substantiated" or a "feeling". I don't think that's going to change. I have seen what I have seen and base my decisions on what is actually happening here versus what someone thinks is happening in my state from 3 states away. It's a simply a personal experience. I believe what I have said has merit because it is a pattern based on what I have seen and I completely stand by it.

Comment

Sure, the grass may not be greener on the other side, but by that time it doesn't matter. By the time I fulfill my obligation (6 years), I would have been able to get all that I needed out of the Guard. I'm not a careerist and I don't mind getting out if things aren't what I expected. The USAR is not perfect, and the NJ ARNG less so.

Clearly, I disagree with you on whether what I have said is "substantiated" or a "feeling". I don't think that's going to change. I have seen what I have seen and base my decisions on what is actually happening here versus what someone thinks is happening in my state from 3 states away. It's a simply a personal experience. I believe what I have said has merit because it is a pattern based on what I have seen and I completely stand by it.
                                I am not agreeing or disagreeing with what you are saying... But I do think the grass is always greener. I thought about switch to the reserves, but when I spoke to a LTC in the reserves, he informed me that where I was and what I was doing was a better experience than switching. He was up front and basically ordered me to stay where I am. Even after saying they needed officers and could give me command time. Bottom line is don't always go looking for what you THINK is the best thing... You may be perfect where you are at.

NO organization anywhere in the world is perfect. As officers, we need to be the solution. I'm not drinking the kool-aid here, or blowing smoke up anyones *****... but I will say that if I feel something is jacked up, I'm speaking up to my Commander, or at the very least, ensuring that my platoon does it the right way. 40 Soldiers doing the right thing is still 40 Soldiers doing the right thing. When we get promoted to General, then we can change everything. Till then, change what you can, when you can
                                Last edited by EOrsini; May 24th, 2012, 04:44 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X