Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: what is INFANTRY drill like in NY ?

Originally posted by LRSU_Dog View Post
    Paintball systems are great for close-quater combat training... you know where you shot and what on you may have also... when you think of "paintball" do not think of a bunch of yahoo's acting out soldier fantasies - every aspect of training whether in the field or in the classroom is to help you develop the "muscle-memory" of how to do things - so when you are in the real situation of needing to do something it is second nature.

Think of this, did you know that doing a "police call" of an area is also real training for those who are in recon and sniping? How can picking up various sized trash during clean-up help me with these skills, you ask... Think attention to detail, situation awareness, etc. If you can locate a staple on the ground amidst grass and rocks and pavement, how would this translate to spoting an enemy sniper or spotter? If you were an Imagery Analyst, would this help spoting something obscure in a photo? What about the IT guy looking for something in a line of programming code, or a router config?

Training is what you make of it, and can seem simple and even stupid - but when you think about it, the lessons you can take away from anything you do, whether Infantry or another MOS; training is what you make of it, and what you take away from it. Even when you have to be very creative to see the "big picture" or just as creative to create training with a real world learning objective.
    makes sense thanks

Comment

I like your Motivation

Comment

Originally posted by huntingtonzfines View Post
        im deciding on 11b or 11c (most likely picking 11c) but im just wondering how the drill is every month

the recruiter said they do paintballing and laser tag like WTF ??
        if thats how it really is i dont wanna join.

can anyone give me real info on how the drill is, please & thank you
        Our 11C are OPCON to HHC for most of our training year.

Originally posted by Mongoose772 View Post
        I'm fairly certain you don't want to use live rounds while performing battle drills, so that statement is not particularly logical. The Infantryman is uniquely tasked with closing with the enemy by means of fire and maneuver in order to destroy or capture him or to repel his assault by fire, close combat, and counterattack.

The quintessential 'Tip of the combat arms spear', the infantry soldier, arguably more than any other MOS in the Army is tasked with fighting America's wars and winning those wars.

I'm sure you will obtain a variety of real world answers on your post regarding the specifics surrounding a typical drill weekend, and personally I haven't been a member of an infantry company since 1992, so I can't give you reliable feedback. However, "Playing paintball and lazer tag" using the tactics, techniques and proceedures of an infantry rifle platoon is much more complex than you think.
        Technically, most LFXs incorporate some type of battle drill. We do use live rounds on up to platoons size LFXs, but only after we've built up to that level and we're comfortable with it. But yes, you are correct, in that we use live rounds for a small % of our iterations when using the "crawl, walk, run" approach.

Originally posted by iambrian90 View Post
        Here in VA, we generally don't even pull the rifles out. There is no need. Occasionally we will roll around in the humvees and practice cordoning off areas, setting road blocks, and doing riot control (we are on state duty). laser tag and paintball sounds more like RSP type stuff though. Dont be surprised if you do join though and you don't do a whole lot of training at drill.. there is just no funding to make it happen, so commanders save all their high speed training for AT, and that is where you go through thousands of rounds, and battle drills, room clearing and the like. As an 11C I can promise you that you wont be out shooting mortars every drill. Those things are incredibly expensive. You might practice setting them up, aiming, and keeping proficient with them though.. But again, everything is Unit dependent.
        Wow.

Originally posted by Hunter View Post
        Ever cleaned an M16 for 14 hours? That's why you won't use blanks very often. You will have plenty of opportunities to move with ducks though.
        Yes, but only for COMET inspections. Over-cleaning rifles actually damages them more than using them. We don't do white-glove level cleanings unless its absolutely necessary.

Originally posted by LRSU_Dog View Post
        Paintball systems are great for close-quater combat training... you know where you shot and what on you may have also... when you think of "paintball" do not think of a bunch of yahoo's acting out soldier fantasies - every aspect of training whether in the field or in the classroom is to help you develop the "muscle-memory" of how to do things - so when you are in the real situation of needing to do something it is second nature.

Think of this, did you know that doing a "police call" of an area is also real training for those who are in recon and sniping? How can picking up various sized trash during clean-up help me with these skills, you ask... Think attention to detail, situation awareness, etc. If you can locate a staple on the ground amidst grass and rocks and pavement, how would this translate to spoting an enemy sniper or spotter? If you were an Imagery Analyst, would this help spoting something obscure in a photo? What about the IT guy looking for something in a line of programming code, or a router config?

Training is what you make of it, and can seem simple and even stupid - but when you think about it, the lessons you can take away from anything you do, whether Infantry or another MOS; training is what you make of it, and what you take away from it. Even when you have to be very creative to see the "big picture" or just as creative to create training with a real world learning objective.

Quoted for the truth.

Comment

Working...
        X