X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which MOS Would You Pick?

I wish the jobs were explained a little better, but I'm thinking about 13B, 11B, or 11C. So do all 13B go to Sill, and 11B and 11C to Benning? I assume Infantry training is a lot harder than cannon crew member but which is simpler? Which is most likely to be deployed?

Re: Which MOS Would You Pick?

11B and 11C are almost identical, minus about 2 weeks if I remember. The 11Bs will go off and do more patrol/urban/weapons training. The 11Cs will learn the mortar system and train/pass the gunner's exam. Then they come back together for the week long field training exercise. You can add the Expert mortar badge to your portfolio.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveLord View Post
      11B and 11C are almost identical, minus about 2 weeks if I remember. The 11Bs will go off and do more patrol/urban/weapons training. The 11Cs will learn the mortar system and train/pass the gunner's exam. Then they come back together for the week long field training exercise. You can add the Expert mortar badge to your portfolio.
      The training for 11B and 11C is similar, however their daily duties can be very different. All 11C are also 11B qualified. The 11C training adds a little bit of time to the training.

11C is a good job, it can be versatile. You can slot a 11C as a 11B, but not vice versa. 13 series can be a great MOS as well, but generically speaking there are more opportunities in the Army for Infantryman, because that is what the Army is built around.

Comment

Artillery is hard work, but also fun. I always liked it because we would drive everywhere we went instead of walking like the infantry.

Comment

Originally posted by HR NCO View Post
          Artillery is hard work, but also fun. I always liked it because we would drive everywhere we went instead of walking like the infantry.
          shoot, I went from a heavy weapons company to a stryker company.. what is walking? Also, if you have the choice and def want the 11 series, I got put into an 11C OSUT even though I am an 11B, and let me tell you, those 2 weeks of mortars were an absolute blast. ALMOST makes me wish I was an 11C.. of course what I really wish is that I was in MI and not the 11 series at the moment, but that is a whole other story

Comment

From my deployment standpoint, you'll probably do a lot more in the 11 series than 13. The 13s in our unit were stuck on base and never did anything but respond to incoming fire. The 11Bs went out all the time, and did a variety of different jobs. The 11Cs...some would go out occasionally, but a small group were treated like the 13s...stuck and just respond to incoming fire. I'm a Commo guy (25 series) and went outside the wire more than some of the 11Cs!
            It really comes down to what you want to do with your military career. Don't let my deployment influence your decision, as every deployment is different. But just know what can possibly happen. I've known a few 13s that were convoy security in Iraq and got into firefights daily. So there's that kind of deployment too.

Comment

I'm not afraid of deployment but I will be going to college while I am in the Guard which could make things a little complicated. When I think of the National Guard, I think of natural disasters and fighting wildfires, does every MOS do this?

Comment

Originally posted by ParalegalNCO1 View Post
                The training for 11B and 11C is similar, however their daily duties can be very different. All 11C are also 11B qualified. The 11C training adds a little bit of time to the training.

11C is a good job, it can be versatile. You can slot a 11C as a 11B, but not vice versa. 13 series can be a great MOS as well, but generically speaking there are more opportunities in the Army for Infantryman, because that is what the Army is built around.
                Agree. However, if the OP could, you should try to get as many MOSQ courses as possible. It may speed up his promotion timeline.

Comment

Originally posted by MOBowyer View Post
                  I'm not afraid of deployment but I will be going to college while I am in the Guard which could make things a little complicated. When I think of the National Guard, I think of natural disasters and fighting wildfires, does every MOS do this?
                  The best way to look at it is, ultimately, the mission will dictate what MOS will be utilized. For example, when referring to wildfires and natural disasters, any MOS can be used for general tasks (sand bagging), but those with specialties will likely do their specialty when needed (i.e. Transportation specialties will drive the vehicles). Does this make sense? As 11B/C, you would likely do a lot of the ground work and assistance.

As to your question about the difference between 11B and 11C, the general answer is that 11B is defined as an Infantryman with a training of 4 weeks, 3 days at Fort Benning, GA. Conversely, 11C is called Indirect Fire Infantryman and training is 8 weeks at Fort Benning, GA. I'm sure you can get some great details from members who have gone through the training directly!

Comment

Working...
                  X