X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Civilian job?

I'm currently looking for a civilian job (preferably security as it is my degree major and career track), and due to the economy lacking it seems to be pretty hard for obvious reasons.

I tried applying to AlliedBarton which is a known military-friendly employer. I also tried applying to various places such as Macy's, Bloomingdales, etc. through Indeed.com and Snagajob.com. Does anyone know of anywhere else they happen to have luck with? I'm also going through a deployment early next fall, so I don't believe it would be a permanent job to be honest, but rather a temporary part-time (at the moment, I have no need to tell my employer of this).

Also, on a completely different unrelated note, does anyone happen to know how one would earn a armed security guard license? According to Google, I would need to petition my district clerk? On the other hand, my friend said I would need to take an Act 235 class? Kind of confused about this.

Thank you for your time and responses.

Re: Civilian job?

No one can give you the correct information regarding armed security guard licensing, because it varies state to state, county to county.

In WA, you have to have a CCW Permit, be 21, and outside of that, the company will provide their own training.

If you're talking a Government Security job, then you're SOL because that's completely dependant on the Gov Agency.

Also, if you're looking for temp work, contact a one stop career center. (Terra Staffing, Manpower, etc) they have all sorts of temporary jobs, etc.

If you're an Engineer, Infantry, Artillery, Armor Crewman/Cavalry Scout, etc. The Department of the Navy goes gaga over Army Combat Arms types for their Security Guards. (They take them over Master at Arms currently in service... No kidding, guys I know from my religious organization are full-time, $25 an hour w/ Full Benefits guarding the perimeter and gates of a nearby Navel Base... Armed with M4s and M14s...) But if you just want a temp job, don't go for Gov Jobs. They want permanent, career orientated guys.

Also, check with local Army Bases, too. Another man from my orgenization is a DA Police Officer... $55k Annual Salary, Full time. He's an FO Guard side, they take Guard Combat Arms types in over their AD MPs.... He also has several friends of his working as Forensic Technicians in place of CID. (Military Police and CID don't have much of a mission on US Soil, MPs especially....) Almost all Cops at the Army Base he serves, are either Air Force Security Forces, or National Guard Combat Arms Soldiers, or they are prior service Combat Arms. Almost everyone Army side in his Police Department, are either Engineers, Infantry, Armor, or Artillery MOSs. And then a few guys from Army Reserve MI.
    Last edited by FutureEngineer; March 29th, 2012, 12:52 PM.

Comment

Have you tried looking for work on Craigslist?

Comment

I was wondering, I've always wanted to be a Game Warden/Wildlife Officer, if I were to join the National Guard, would I be able to go to School for that?

Comment

Originally posted by CLisenby View Post
          I was wondering, I've always wanted to be a Game Warden/Wildlife Officer, if I were to join the National Guard, would I be able to go to School for that?
          No, no schools for that. Those are very competitive jobs, good luck with your goals.

Comment

Originally posted by FutureEngineer View Post
            No one can give you the correct information regarding armed security guard licensing, because it varies state to state, county to county.

In WA, you have to have a CCW Permit, be 21, and outside of that, the company will provide their own training.

If you're talking a Government Security job, then you're SOL because that's completely dependant on the Gov Agency.

Also, if you're looking for temp work, contact a one stop career center. (Terra Staffing, Manpower, etc) they have all sorts of temporary jobs, etc.

If you're an Engineer, Infantry, Artillery, Armor Crewman/Cavalry Scout, etc. The Department of the Navy goes gaga over Army Combat Arms types for their Security Guards. (They take them over Master at Arms currently in service... No kidding, guys I know from my religious organization are full-time (hmmmm), $25 an hour w/ Full Benefits guarding the perimeter and gates of a nearby Navel Base... Armed with M4s and M14s...) But if you just want a temp job, don't go for Gov Jobs. They want permanent, career orientated guys.

Also, check with local Army Bases, too. Another man from my orgenization is a DA Police Officer... $55k Annual Salary, Full time. He's an FO Guard side, they take Guard Combat Arms types in over their AD MPs.... He also has several friends of his working as Forensic Technicians in place of CID. (Military Police and CID don't have much of a mission on US Soil, MPs especially....) Almost all Cops at the Army Base he serves, are either Air Force Security Forces, or National Guard Combat Arms Soldiers, or they are prior service Combat Arms. Almost everyone Army side in his Police Department, are either Engineers, Infantry, Armor, or Artillery MOSs. And then a few guys from Army Reserve MI.

Comment

Revival!!! lol

Comment

Yeah this is a bit of a revival, but in any case, anyone who reads this and reads the part where the resident troll (or village fool) states that CID has little to no mission on US soil, just know that it's false. Army CID (and sister agencies such as AFOSI) regularly hire civilians and have an internship program dedicated to hire them. The civilian CID agents handle fraud investigations for the Army. I see them pretty regularly around Army Contracting Command when they look in on things. There's a small army of them.

The positions are highly competitive so good luck with that

Comment

Originally posted by show_stopper999 View Post
                  Yeah this is a bit of a revival, but in any case, anyone who reads this and reads the part where the resident troll (or village fool) states that CID has little to no mission on US soil, just know that it's false. Army CID (and sister agencies such as AFOSI) regularly hire civilians and have an internship program dedicated to hire them. The civilian CID agents handle fraud investigations for the Army. I see them pretty regularly around Army Contracting Command when they look in on things. There's a small army of them.

Well you know I heard a few positions in the Secret Service have opened and are looking to hire now! Lol

Comment

Originally posted by CLisenby View Post
                    If you are referring to getting your Bachelors in Environmental Science, Criminology, or Biology to assist you in reaching your goals, then the answer would be yes. The caveat is that you will need to attend a state accredited university to be able to qualify for tuition assistance. Here's some general information on TA and the GI Bill: http://www.nationalguard.com/life/ed...ion-assistance.

Let me know if you have any more questions!

Comment

Originally posted by o13starsnstripes View Post
                      Well you know I heard a few positions in the Secret Service have opened and are looking to hire now! Lol
                      Meanwhile, those service members that were involved in that debacle will still have "some" job in the Army.

If the National Guard actually started firing and getting rid of non-performers and half-wit ****** commissioned officers, we'd see more qualified people being promoted to the right spots!

Also, the DEA is looking to hire as well after those guys had an epic fail with regards to that man they, unknowingly, had in custody.

Comment

Originally posted by show_stopper999 View Post

Resident Troll/Village Fool is too funny LT.

I bolded what made me chuckle on my last post but these too had me laughing. I guess CID has no part in the investigation of the Fort Hood shooting or any felony that happens on post.

"The Department of the Navy goes gaga over Army Combat Arms types for their Security Guards". (They take them over Master at Arms currently in service... No kidding, Armed with M4s and M14s...)

"they take Guard Combat Arms types in over their AD MPs.... He also has several friends of his working as Forensic Technicians in place of CID. (Military Police and CID don't have much of a mission on US Soil, MPs especially"....) Almost all Cops at the Army Base he serves, are either Air Force Security Forces, or National Guard Combat Arms Soldiers, or they are prior service Combat Arms.

Hey, what do you do?

I am a National Guard Combat Arms soldier!!!
                        Last edited by Chief Kemosabe; May 14th, 2012, 02:12 PM.

Comment

I work as a Corrections Officer in the civillian sector. There is always need for those.

Comment

I think I am going to take 25B so I get the IT training I need to go along with my degree program so I can get a good paying civilian job (and try for WOCS/OCS)

Comment

Working...
                            X