X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Guard Officer/Law Enforcement

I'm a double dipping Correctional Officer, and there are plenty of us at my institution. I'm not quite sure what the Feds make, but I grossed $61K this year with a bit of OT. A lot of guys volunteer for deployment because the benefits are so good, sick days pile up, and it's a break from the job.

Comment

A lot of guys volunteer for deployment because the benefits are so good, sick days pile up, and it's a break from the job.
      Another excellent example of serving in the reserve component. You have your career and a second career. Uncle Sugar is good to his peeps.

Comment

**** it that was what i wanted to do. be a cop while in the guard, and then eventually get into the CIA. i'm a 31B enlisted in december, shipping out for BCT/AIT in july.

Comment

Originally posted by PVT_Zemel
          **** it that was what i wanted to do. be a cop while in the guard, and then eventually get into the CIA. i'm a 31B enlisted in december, shipping out for BCT/AIT in july.
          Just focus on IET first. Are you off to Ft. Leonard Wood?

Comment

Originally posted by Trooper TJ View Post
            I've never heard of any part-time CAT 1 officers. There are reserve positions available that pay but all that I have met were retired cops. The time and effort spent on most LE initially is too costly to utilize in an "on the side" basis. I personally spent a year in the academy and FTO before being put on the road full time. I have many "cop" buddies who are Guard/Res- many of whom are not in LE (including myself).

Anything specific feel free to ask.
            I want to be a local or state LE Officer.I'm planning on attending college to get a bachelor's in CJ and to do ROTC to earn my commission in the Guard.What's it like being both a LEO and a Guardsman? Do they interfere with each other alot?

Comment

Well, any advice? anyone?

Comment

JC, a good number of guys in my unit manage it. Being a police/correctional officer, etc. usually entails varying/weird shifts and long hours, so that's what you should be worried about getting used to. It's probably not going to be a regular, set 9-5 schedule, and it's definitely just a little more stressful than say office work.

Comment

Originally posted by 7011USMC View Post
                  If you want to get into federal LE especially FBI; Well they like people with accounting w/CPA or law degree JD. Usually people with LE background (not frowned upon)but have bad habits which are hard too break.

Your chances will improve if you live closer to DC. I'm no SME however I have attended many job fairs in the 80's, 90's, and 00's and nothing has changed much. They seek bright and intelligent people under the age of 35 w/ bachelors degree.

Most successful applicants are accountants and lawyers. If you can track cash you can track anything! It's like finding a needle in a haystack.

Don't limit your scope in federal special agent just to the FBI: AFOSI, NCIS, ATF, DEA, SS, US Marshals, Border patrol, and ICE.

There are a plethora of federal uniform LE to numerous to mention.
                  Actually, what they REALLY like are those with computer/networking backgrounds. It's evident in their latest drive to bring in Special Agents.

http://www.fbijobs.gov/CyberCareers/

https://www.fbijobs.gov/032.asp

Comment

Thank you all for the replies! I'm looking at a college here in Florida (UCF) that has a Law Enforcement Officer Training Corps program that has you intern with the local Sheriff's Department for your senior year and looks pretty interesting.Also has an Army ROTC program.Planning on attending after I'm done here at the community college.

Comment

Working...
                    X