X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guard Officer/Law Enforcement

I had a plan to go through ROTC and commission as an officer and then go active duty and do whatever the Army needs me to. But lately, I've been thinking that it might be better for me to just stay with the Guard even as an Officer. It would give me an opportunity to go for a second career and be able to do a lot more things with my life.

If an Army ROTC Cadet goes Active Duty, they have to put in a list of branches within the Army that they want to go into for a MOS and based on their overall performance in their unit, they get their first or last choice or anything in between. Is that the same with ROTC Cadets planning on going into the National Guard? Also, is the SMP program required for Cadets planning on commissioning in the Guard?

If I were to stay Guard as an Officer, I'd want to be a cop or some type of Federal Law Enforcement on the side. Is that possible? If so, what are some suggestions as to what particular field I go into? I'm willing to bet that someone out there has done this with their career(s) and I'd like to hear from them. Thanks!

Re: Guard Officer/Law Enforcement

If you want to get into federal LE especially FBI; Well they like people with accounting w/CPA or law degree JD. Usually people with LE background (not frowned upon)but have bad habits which are hard too break.

Your chances will improve if you live closer to DC. I'm no SME however I have attended many job fairs in the 80's, 90's, and 00's and nothing has changed much. They seek bright and intelligent people under the age of 35 w/ bachelors degree.

Most successful applicants are accountants and lawyers. If you can track cash you can track anything! It's like finding a needle in a haystack.

Don't limit your scope in federal special agent just to the FBI: AFOSI, NCIS, ATF, DEA, SS, US Marshals, Border patrol, and ICE.

There are a plethora of federal uniform LE to numerous to mention.

Comment

Originally posted by 7011USMC

Don't limit your scope in federal special agent just to the FBI: AFOSI, NCIS, ATF, DEA, SS, US Marshals, Border patrol, and ICE.

There are a plethora of federal uniform LE to numerous to mention.
      I wouldn't mind working alongside Gibbs. That man is a machine when it comes to solving murders and Abby has that whole hot goth chick thing going on

Comment

I like Ziva. Nothing hotter than a chic who is an expert in Krav maga and marksmanship.

Comment

Your chances will improve if you live closer to DC.

Article in the Washington Post recently stated that the agencies in the DC/MD/VA area are the few institutions that are still really hiring. CIA especially.

But like 7011 said, you may have to relocate if you think it's truly you're path.

Comment

I like Ziva. Nothing hotter than a chic who is an expert in Krav maga and marksmanship.
            must...keep...quiet...

Comment

Originally posted by LoneStarSoldier

If an Army ROTC Cadet goes Active Duty, they have to put in a list of branches within the Army that they want to go into for a MOS and based on their overall performance in their unit, they get their first or last choice or anything in between. Is that the same with ROTC Cadets planning on going into the National Guard? Also, is the SMP program required for Cadets planning on commissioning in the Guard?
              Each state does their commissioning different. You may be at the mercy of the needs of the Texas National Guard.

If I were to stay Guard as an Officer, I'd want to be a cop or some type of Federal Law Enforcement on the side. Is that possible?
              I like how you think, but for the most part, you'll be a LEO, and be a Guard officer on the side.

If so, what are some suggestions as to what particular field I go into? I'm willing to bet that someone out there has done this with their career(s) and I'd like to hear from them. Thanks!
              You aren't allowed to be in the FBI (as an agent) and be in the Guard simultaneously. I believe that the other federal investigative agencies that 7011 listed are fine. And don't forget that each U.S. cabinet has their own investigative arm: USDA, USDOT, DCIS, USPS. You can also be a civilian agent in Army CID.

From FBI
              "MILITARY PERSONNEL: Candidates must be within twelve months of completing obligated service to the military and can only be affiliated with a STANDBY RESERVE COMPONENT, if hired as a Special Agent. If employed by the FBI, it is the Agent's responsibility to be sure that he or she does NOT affiliate, even unintentionally, with the Ready Reserve. This includes all National Guard billets (including inactive National Guard billets) and all Individual Mobilization Augmentee (IMA) billets, as they are Ready Reserve positions."

Comment

Originally posted by LoneStarSoldier
                Also, is the SMP program required for Cadets planning on commissioning in the Guard?
                No 87654321

Comment

If I were to stay Guard as an Officer, I'd want to be a cop or some type of Federal Law Enforcement on the side. Is that possible?
                  I've never heard of any part-time CAT 1 officers. There are reserve positions available that pay but all that I have met were retired cops. The time and effort spent on most LE initially is too costly to utilize in an "on the side" basis. I personally spent a year in the academy and FTO before being put on the road full time. I have many "cop" buddies who are Guard/Res- many of whom are not in LE (including myself).

I'm willing to bet that someone out there has done this with their career(s) and I'd like to hear from them.
                  Anything specific feel free to ask.

Comment

As stated, can't have an active contract and be a Special Agent in the FBI. NCIS hasn't hired in nearly two years, but it looks like they're opening up soon (I have a buddy who's NCIS and a Reserve Officer in the Marines, stationed in Japan so I guess they allow both).

Keep in mind that these types of positions will interfere with your Guard committment: the schools are long and you won't be let off on the weekends for Guard committments. Also, most agencies won't hire you without prior work experience, usually at least 4 years after college. Additionally, most federal law enforcement jobs require you to relocate at their discretion, which will also interfere with your guard committments. The only time I saw any success with dual guard/fed law enforcement was in California. Most of my unit in Culver City were also boarder patrol agents full time. You're better off doing the active thing then pursuing a federal law enforcement job after you're done.

Also, it takes years to get through the application process for most federal law enforcement jobs. I started my FBI package two years ago and finally got an offer this month (which due to family reasons I turned down...still kicking myself but that's life, now looking at ARNG OCS). I've done a lot of research on these jobs, had numerous interviews with FBI (job offer), and CIA (no offer) and you don't want to be in the Guard and in one of these positions even if it's authorized.

Comment

As a current ARNG NCO and civilian police officer / deputy sheriff, I'll give you my thoughts...

First, if you're Army why would you even try to go NCIS instead of CID? Although both NCIS and CID have civilian agents as well as non-civilian special agents (typically warrant officers), I don't know why you would do this if you were already in the Army. On another note, CID does have reserve special agents (one of the deputies I work with is reserve CID and recently got deployed).

FBI won't bring you in while serving in the guard.

Local enforcement has been really rewarding for me, and many local departments can actually pay a lot more than the feds do. I toyed with idea of trying to get into a federal agency once my enlistment was up as I do have a Bachelors degree, but there is something you should know... When you are federal, it's similar to the military as in you can be sent anywhere, anytime.

Case in point: A buddy of mine was a 10 year veteran of the Secret Service on the presidential detail in D.C. He met a girl and got married while he was temporarily in California on assignment. He put in requests for almost 2 years for a transfer to one of the Southern California offices as his family was in Riverside, CA. Finally the Secret Service offered him a position in Sacramento (nowhere near Riverside). So, after almost 12 years, he left secret service, and joined my department as a Deputy Sheriff. He has never been happier.

Comment

First, if you're Army why would you even try to go NCIS instead of CID?
                        Why not Ziva and Abby are hotties they get three shwangs up. JK were fans of NCIS can't you tell.

Giving the OP info on "other federal law enforcement" opportunites.

Comment

Originally posted by braden.stockham

How common are ADSW or AGR CID slots?

Comment

CID is typically a full time gig which also happens to have reserve agents. I am not so sure they have traditional AGR or ADSW positions.

Requirements for joining (both civilian and military) can be found here:

http://www.cid.army.mil/join_CID.html

Comment

Originally posted by braden.stockham
                              Why? Why anything in life? I guess because I was a soldier and a squid and I tend to look at all options in life. Also, CID requires at least a year of MP work or 2 years civilian police work experience. Most other agencies don't.

I was really trying to highlight the fact that these types of jobs aren't easy to come by and the application processes is rediculous (CID may be different as they seem to be hiring quite a bit). The FBI has had a record number of applicants in the past 18 months but didn't meet their new agent quotas for last year because the processes takes too d@mn long! Many qualified new applicants, who are applying for the right reasons, not just because they're unemployed, don't waste their time as they eventually become jaded by the whole process. The horror stories my "application coordinator" told me, as well as what I saw during the process from other applicants, was comical, but also bordered on insane. (applicants arrested on drug charges 2 weeks before heading out to the academy?!?). I was just trying to use my experience with the FBI and CIA to educate anyone interested on the fact that if you go this route, be prepared for long delays: but then again, most readers are/were in the Guard and already know a thing or two about "Hurry up and Wait!"

On another note, I agree that local police departments are often a better gig. When we were deployed to Iraq for "Shock and Awe" in 2003, we had a Reserve Navy CT (Arabic Translator) who was also a Detroit, MI city officer. He was double dipping as, at the time, the Detroit PD continued to pay his full wages and benefits while he was deployed. As an E-7 w/ 16yrs he was making a ton on deployement (hazard duty, separation pay, etc.) and banked his entire Navy pay while deployed. He said he had been heavily recruited by the Fed's but felt more at home in Detroit, which has the largest Iraqi population in the U.S., so they needed translators like him. Great job, pay, etc. without the "Big Institution" politics and back stabbing (his words not mine).

Anyway, my 2 cents.......

Comment

Working...
                              X