X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SLRP and MGIB-SR?

I was wondering how to go about using SLRP and MGIB-SR in the same enlistment period (6years). Im currently in the ARNG and im in a 3 years contract. I know that I get almost no educational benefits with a short contract which is why im reenlisting for a 6 year extension next April which is 1 year from my ETS date. My questions are if I begin school this Fall (2014) can I get SLRP in my reenlistment to pay off the loans I would need to take out for the school I want to attend? How to I go about getting SLRP for loans I acquired for school while in the guard? Also, is it possible to get the MGIB and SLRP at the same time or do I have to pick and choose?

Great questions OP

1. If I begin school this Fall (2014) can I get SLRP in my reenlistment to pay off the loans I would need to take out for the school I want to attend?

You can get SLRP in your reenlistment/extension contract. However, SLRP will only cover existing federal loans (not future loans) up to $50,000

2. How to I go about getting SLRP for loans I acquired for school while in the guard?

Get in touch with your Unit Career Counselor to get the ball rolling on reenlistment/extension. They need to get a pre-approval through the State SLRP Manager.

3. Is it possible to get the MGIB and SLRP at the same time or do I have to pick and choose?

You can indeed receive the MGIB and SLRP at the same time. HOWEVER, you cannot receive SLRP and a REB (Reenlistment bonus) at the same time.

Incoming Regs (paraphrased).

(10) A current ARNG member is eligible for the SLRP incentive only if he or she meets the following requirements:

a) Must meet all reenlistment or extension eligibility criteria in accordance with
    memorandum, NGB, NGB-ARH, 13 August 2009

(b) Extend within 365-91 days of his or her ETS for a minimum term of 6 years.

(c) Reenlist/extend in pay grade E-7 or below.

(g) Must have less than 13 years TIS at time of current ETS.

Comment

Thanks for the response!
      One more question however. You mentioned that SLRP only pays off existing loans so if I go to school this fall in 2014 and take out loans this fall, when I reenlist in April 2015 can I get SLRP for the loans I took out in the year before?

Comment

That's correct if they are Federal Loans. Now, say you take out a loan in May 2015 (after you reenlist) those loans will not be paid back by SLRP until you can reenlist again.

Comment

Working...
        X