Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VA Benefits

Hi everyone,

I'm a little confused about VA. Can someone please help me understand, how does a Guard member gets VA benefits?

Thank you.

VA - Veteran's Administration. Primarily for people who have served on active duty. If you are new to the military, your focus is just on NG benefits.

I googled this quick info for you.

http://www.benefits.va.gov/guardreserve/

http://benefits.va.gov/homeloans/pur...ligibility.asp

Comment

Thank you.

Comment

My boyriend has a DD214 problem. Not sure how to navigate this site so I am hoping my question gets answered. Jack enlisted in the National guard in 1981, lost his DD214 years ago. In 1983 Jack was deployed to Grenada he was in combat was shot, had to kill, has PTSD and he is suicidal. After waiting 5 months for the DD214, it is usless in helping him get medical care. The DD214 only states his activity to March 1983, his combat was October, 1983. The DD214 states he was honorably discharged in 1987. The DD214 is blank after March,1983 on this DD214 . I took him to the VA after receiving the DD214 he has and he was turned away, given a form to apply for the right paperwork which is in Kentucky. This is absured, how can we get this paperwork he needs as swiftly as possible? How does this Happen? Having this situation happen has added more stress to him since there is no record of him having served in Grenada. PLEASE HELP!

Comment

Originally posted by bliss1121 View Post
          My boyriend has a DD214 problem. Not sure how to navigate this site so I am hoping my question gets answered. Jack enlisted in the National guard in 1981, lost his DD214 years ago. In 1983 Jack was deployed to Grenada he was in combat was shot, had to kill, has PTSD and he is suicidal. After waiting 5 months for the DD214, it is usless in helping him get medical care. The DD214 only states his activity to March 1983, his combat was October, 1983. The DD214 states he was honorably discharged in 1987. The DD214 is blank after March,1983 on this DD214 . I took him to the VA after receiving the DD214 he has and he was turned away, given a form to apply for the right paperwork which is in Kentucky. This is absured, how can we get this paperwork he needs as swiftly as possible? How does this Happen? Having this situation happen has added more stress to him since there is no record of him having served in Grenada. PLEASE HELP!
          He needs to either request ALL of his military records from the national archives (http://www.archives.gov/) or the state in which his Army National Guard service was with and discharged from.

If he needs assistance he should locate a local Veterans Service Officer (VSO) through your County or State Veterans Affairs Department or through the American Legion, VFW, or DAV.
          Last edited by SF Hunter; November 5th, 2014, 01:31 PM.

Comment

Thank you for the speedy response, I appreciate it very much. He sent for the full records, they say it will take 4-6 weeks. Just wondering if there was a faster way. Will call Veterans service officer tomorrow. Thank you again!

Comment

You are welcome. Best of luck!

Comment

Working...
              X