X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Infantry BOLC Pay Question

My husband will be leaving for Infantry BOLC at Ft. Benning, GA in less than two months. We are currently trying to decide if we should make this move as a family or if my son and I should stay home until his training is complete. My biggest concern is our finances. What kind of military pay/benefits would my husband receive while at BOLC? Any financial advice would be greatly appreciated. Here is our current situation.
    Husband (Army National Guard for 4 years, recently graduated from ROTC)
    Wife (Teacher)
    Son (1 year old)
    Housing: We do not currently have a lease in place because we are staying on family property.
    Utilities: Some utilities are in our name, while others we left in family’s name but we pay the bills.

My husband will be leaving for Infantry BOLC at Ft. Benning, GA in less than two months. We are currently trying to decide if we should make this move as a family or if my son and I should stay home until his training is complete. My biggest concern is our finances. What kind of military pay/benefits would my husband receive while at BOLC? Any financial advice would be greatly appreciated. Here is our current situation.
    Husband (Army National Guard for 4 years, recently graduated from ROTC)
    Wife (Teacher)
    Son (1 year old)
    Housing: We do not currently have a lease in place because we are staying on family property.
    Utilities: Some utilities are in our name, while others we left in family’s name but we pay the bills.

I would not recommend a move because your husband is returning to your home of record. I am active duty and have PCSed twice within a ten-month period and doing it again by going to Georgia real soon. Here are the pay tables and allowances for your information.

http://www.navycs.com/charts/2014-mi...icer-pay-chart <--pay

http://www.valoans.com/bah-rates-mha...RGIA&mha=GA075 <--housing allowance

http://www.military.com/benefits/mil...bsistence.html <--242.60 for food subsistence. About 5288 a month before taxes. Depending on what he claims, look at about 700 a month being paid in taxes.
    Last edited by Chief Kemosabe; November 21st, 2013, 10:04 PM.

Comment

I agree emphatically with the Chief. Except for some rare exceptions, with infantry basic branch not being one of them, BOLC is not a PCS move. BOLC is not geared towards a new officer's ability to spend "free" time with family. I think the majority of officers on here will agree, particularly with IBOLC, that there is not an inordinate amount of free time and it would not be a good experience for your husband, you or the Army.

Comment

A friend of mine recently returned from IBOLC and he said the schedule was pretty demanding, especially early in the class. You spend one week in classes learning with evenings studying and the the next week in the field practicing what you learn. It was that way week after week. I would recommend that your husband get to IBOLC and wait a few weeks (or a month) to see how the schedule is and what kind of free time he has. Then if it all works out you can visit him or maybe stay few an extended period, but by then you know what your getting into. I wouldn't move there though, like the chief said, you will be turning around and moving back within a few months anyways.

Comment

He should be getting family separation pay as well. Snowstorm here today and we are packing for our PCS. Not fun but happy we moving lol.

Comment

nice posts

Comment

Working...
            X