X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Medical and dental

I recently enlisted in the NG and will be going to BCT in November. I am married and was wondering if my wife would also obtain health and dental insurance through the NG due to my enlistment? If so, will I have to pay for it?

You're looking for Tricare Reserve Select. This is an optional heath insurance for National Guard Soldiers, and additionally optional for their families. You will pay for coverage, although it is apparently a good value for those without employer-sponsored health insurance.

Comment

• castille899
      castille899 commented
      Editing a comment
      How much is it?

• castille899
      castille899 commented
      Editing a comment
      How much do you pay a month?

While you are gone at BCT and AIT, you will be on active duty orders. Since your active duty orders will be for a period of 30 days or longer, you and your family will be covered under Tricare health insurance (health and vision). Make sure that before you leave for BCT, you get you wife a dependent ID card. This can be done at a DEERS office. If you don't know where one is, then call your recruiter. He will know where one is. I'm sure that your recruiter answers this question quite often.

As a side note, any time that you go on active duty orders for a time period of 30 days or more, you will be covered under Tricare. Know this though, as soon as you get done with AIT and return home, you (and your family) will lose your health insurance. It is at this time that you will be able to purchase the Tricare Reserve Select insurance. I currently use Tricare Reserve Select for my family. It will cost you right around $205.00 per month for your family. It has great coverage and a super low deductible.

I hope this helps. You should definitely check out the Tricare Reserve Select link that LTC Ritchie posted too.

Comment

Thank you all for responding. I have called and will be paying $195 for my wife and I. I will look into the plan and see if it's convenient for us since our employers provide us with partial health insurance.

Comment

I don't agree about the "Super low deductible". Tricare has significant co-pays, so it's not THAT good. But it's definitely better than many insurance options offered at various places.

Comment

Working...
        X