X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To be married or not married

My girlfriend and I have been dating a long time. We just haven't tied the knot. If both of us were to be deployed it seems we would each be paid more for remaining "single". How much money does a married couple lose if they are both deployed?

Re: To be married or not married

Originally posted by inafghanistan View Post
    My girlfriend and I have been dating a long time. We just haven't tied the knot. If both of us were to be deployed it seems we would each be paid more for remaining "single". How much money does a married couple lose if they are both deployed?
    What?

You don't get paid more for being single. You get extra entitlements if you have dependants.

Comment

I hope he truly is not "in Afghanistan". Oh the countless, tax free dollars that will elude his wallet.

But then of course that begs the question, can a Chaplain marry you overseas? Do they serve such purposes? Lol.

Comment

BAH difference is anywhere between $200-$500 a month depending on location/rank for each of you.

Comment

Plus separation pay. An entitlement I always thought was ridiculous.

Comment

Another young military SM that always puts money before love. "Hey, let's get married so we can make some more money!!!" Childish. Sounds like those Hollywood liberals.

Comment

Originally posted by inafghanistan View Post
              Ah, the old get-married-for-more-money question. I don't know of any successful lives that started this way.

PLEASE do not let BAH or any financial benefit play a role in your decision to get married. Whatever extra entitlement you get now, you'll spend more than that on the divorce lawyer later. Get pre-marital counseling, and if you decide to get married do it for the right reasons at the right time. If you happen to get more or less BAH at some point, don't worry about it.

Comment

Lol Chief, I don't put money over love. But I do consider myself a moderate who swings his bat to the left

Comment

Working...
                X