Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

National Guard members NOT ELIGIBLE for TRICARE at all???

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• National Guard members NOT ELIGIBLE for TRICARE at all???

Hi all,

Me and my wife are both members of MA National Guard, currently drilling with our unit. Previously we had Commonwealth Care insurance, but we have recently received a notification that it's about to end as we have access to other health plans - i.e. Tricare. We are both unemployed, so it's a problem for us to pay for insurance. But the main problem is that I have visited the tricare.gov site and used the Plan Finder, and basing on my status and location it says tham I AM NOT ELIGIBLE FOR ANY PLANS. Could you please confirm this? If it's so, I must immediately send an appeal to MassHealth saying that they're wrong and I have NO ACCESS to other insurance (I repeat, we're both still unemployed, so we cannot pay commercial / non-sponsored premiums). Or this Plan Finder is functioning incorrectly? Please help! There are LOTS of plans and I am absolutely confused. Thank you!

Re: National Guard members NOT ELIGIBLE for TRICARE at all???

Drilling members are eligble for tricare reserve select. There are premiums associated with that coverage, but it is available.

Comment

You and your family should be eligible for TRICARE Reserve Select. http://www.tricare.mil/Welcome/Plans/TRS.aspx

But, you must make sure that you and your dependents are fully enrolled in DEERS.

TRICARE Reserve Select premium rates are established annually on a calendar-year basis. You are required to pay the monthly premiums if you decide to enroll in TRICARE Reserve Select.

Comment

Originally posted by SF Hunter View Post
        You and your family should be eligible for TRICARE Reserve Select. http://www.tricare.mil/Welcome/Plans/TRS.aspx

But, you must make sure that you and your dependents are fully enrolled in DEERS.

TRICARE Reserve Select premium rates are established annually on a calendar-year basis. You are required to pay the monthly premiums if you decide to enroll in TRICARE Reserve Select.
        Thank you, I was confused about the Selected Reserve, I thought it only inluded Active Duty Guard or something like this, but not drilling members. I wil certainly explore this option. I looked at some plans and Tricare (especially when compared to my former Commonwealth Care plan) seems to be very expensive, there are significant copays (20% and more) for every occasion. So we'll see.

Comment

Originally posted by RKasp View Post
          Thank you, I was confused about the Selected Reserve, I thought it only inluded Active Duty Guard or something like this, but not drilling members. I wil certainly explore this option. I looked at some plans and Tricare (especially when compared to my former Commonwealth Care plan) seems to be very expensive, there are significant copays (20% and more) for every occasion. So we'll see.
          Not too many two day a month jobs offer insurance. Sounds like a steal to me.

Comment

Originally posted by realitycheck View Post
            Not too many two day a month jobs offer insurance. Sounds like a steal to me.
            Yes, but all my income on this "job" will be spent on the insurance, so it surely doesn't sound like a steal to me. They even do not take into account if you're employed or not. So I'll avoid Tricare for now, it's very expensive to pay more than $50/person per month just to be considered insured, and have to pay for medical services in addition to this. Not that I visit health care centers often (I have never visited them at all myself, I very rarely get sick), but I don't like the idea - to pay such amount of money just for nothing, and have to pay even more when you actually need help. I don't understand why it's called insurance at all, what if something happens and you simply cannot pay these co-pays, or they will ruin you, you will be just left to die or suffer even when you are "insured"? It's good to talk about "cheap insurance" when you have a job which pays thousands of $$$ per month, then an extra $50 or even $100 is not a sum to be noticed at all, but there are different situations in life, and sometimes even this is too expensive.

P.S. Anyway, I have noticed that in their notification they say we still can get free help through MA Health Safety Net, so I'll get more information on this first. I hope that I will be able to find employment soon, then things will change. But I wouldn't call Tricare "affordable" at all.

Comment

Sorry to hear about your employment problems. Have you engaged your unit for some help looking? I was facing a possible layoff a while ago and I reached out, and my RNCO put me in touch with my state's Yellow Ribbon employment office. They were exremely helpful, sending me multiple leads a day. Talk to your unit and go to https://www.jointservicessupport.org...der/Topic.aspx

Also check out https://h2h.jobs/

Comment

Yes, but all my income on this "job" will be spent on the insurance, so it surely doesn't sound like a steal to me. They even do not take into account if you're employed or not. So I'll avoid Tricare for now, it's very expensive to pay more than $50/person per month just to be considered insured, and have to pay for medical services in addition to this. Not that I visit health care centers often (I have never visited them at all myself, I very rarely get sick), but I don't like the idea - to pay such amount of money just for nothing, and have to pay even more when you actually need help. I don't understand why it's called insurance at all, what if something happens and you simply cannot pay these co-pays, or they will ruin you, you will be just left to die or suffer even when you are "insured"? It's good to talk about "cheap insurance" when you have a job which pays thousands of $$$ per month, then an extra $50 or even $100 is not a sum to be noticed at all, but there are different situations in life, and sometimes even this is too expensive.

P.S. Anyway, I have noticed that in their notification they say we still can get free help through MA Health Safety Net, so I'll get more information on this first. I hope that I will be able to find employment soon, then things will change. But I wouldn't call Tricare "affordable" at all.

I feel your pain in a way. I lost my job two years ago and was healthy for the last 6 years so I figured it would be ok to not have insurance. I couldn't afford the ridiculous cost of keeping the insurance I had and I didn't qualify for assistance. Then I found out I needed to have heart surgery and I was 60 grand in the hole.

Trust me...pay for it now or you'll pay thousands and thousands of times over if something were to happen. I've always been healthy so I never in a million years would have assumed I'd need heart surgery at age 30. Stuff happens. But they allow monthly minimum payments based on your income/unemployment (or if you are that bad off, may have it written off as charity if you have absolutely no way to pay the medical bill). They will not refuse to treat you or leave you to die. You'll just have a pain in the butt payment for however long, if you don't have any insurance.

After getting this job I have now and the measly insurance they offered, I'm still happy because it's better than nothing. After my surgery, I would have gladly taken a 20% copay instead of being responsible for everything out of pocket.

Comment

Yeah...I guess the government should just take care of you for free, huh. More of my tax dollars at "work."

TRS is 51.68/month for an individual, and 195.81/month for an individual plus his/her dependents. An E2 makes 226.64 for four UTAs. In other words, even as a private, you can provide your family full medical coverage at the cost of one weekend per month.

And you're complaining about this.

Comment

Originally posted by Jersey Dirtbag View Post
                    +1. The Reserve components is not supposed to give benefits like a full-time job. They give awesome benefits for part-time work unlike any other part-time job in our country. Once you are on active orders, then things are different.

If you want free coverage, the come on title 10 active duty. When I was a contractor, I was paying over 700 bucks in COBRA coverage. Still that TRS is an awesome benefit. I do not recall if it was available in 2003.

Comment

Originally posted by Chief Kemosabe View Post
                      Still that TRS is an awesome benefit.
                      I use TRS and love the $51 a month co-pay. Coupled with commissary access, cheaper PX gas/beer, free gym access, and the other random perks I can get with my CAC, I save thousands of dollars a year. No complaints here.

Comment

Originally posted by enceladus View Post
                        I use TRS and love the $51 a month co-pay. Coupled with commissary access, cheaper PX gas/beer, free gym access, and the other random perks I can get with my CAC, I save thousands of dollars a year. No complaints here.
                        That's your premium. The copay is on a per-visit basis.

Comment

Err yeah, that's what I meant.

Comment

Something to keep in mind when when thinking about percentage copays with any insurance coverage -- if you are uninsured, you will likely be charged much more by medical providers because insurance companies negotiate prices. So yeah, you pay 20% of the bill, but the total bill is likely MUCH lower than it would be were you uninsured. More importantly, most coverage has an out-of-pocket cap, so if something truely catastrophic happens there is a cap on how much you or your family get stuck paying.

Comment

Originally posted by Jersey Dirtbag View Post
                              Yeah...I guess the government should just take care of you for free, huh. More of my tax dollars at "work."

TRS is 51.68/month for an individual, and 195.81/month for an individual plus his/her dependents. An E2 makes 226.64 for four UTAs. In other words, even as a private, you can provide your family full medical coverage at the cost of one weekend per month.

They'll complain until they are like one of the guys in my unit that suffered a spinal injury from a pool accident... and he did not have health insurance.

Not having health insurance is not worth the risk. I always hear the "it won't happen to me..." saying... until it happens to them.

Comment

Working...
                              X