X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spouse using gi bill ???

I'm thinking about joining the Army National Guard as 11b and was wondering if my wife and use the Gi bill for her college and how it works. I've searched and read but still don't understand. Also I heard she can only use my Gi bill if I've been deployed.

Re: Spouse using gi bill ???

Originally posted by Farmboy876 View Post
    I'm thinking about joining the Army National Guard as 11b and was wondering if my wife and use the Gi bill for her college and how it works. I've searched and read but still don't understand. Also I heard she can only use my Gi bill if I've been deployed.
    The only GI Bill benefits that can be transferred to dependents, is the Post 9/11 GI Bill. Not the normal Montgomery GI Bill. You do not qualify for the Post 9/11 GI Bill in the Guard upon enlistment, unless you are eventually deployed on active duty orders for 90 or more days and not active duty orders for training (ie BCT/AIT). At that time you are now qualified for Post 9/11. To transfer your benefits, you will need to commit to another 4 years of service with the Guard.

Post 9/11 GI Bill link: http://www.gibill.va.gov/benefits/po...ill/index.html
    Last edited by SF Hunter; June 20th, 2013, 04:02 PM.

Comment

And remember you need to serve at for three years on active duty to receive full benefits. Its an awesome benefit. I transferred my benefit to my children.

http://myarmybenefits.us.army.mil/Ho....html?serv=151

Benefit Earned Based on Qualifying Active Duty Service
      Individuals serving an aggregate period
      of active duty after September 10, 2001 of:
      Includes entry level
      and skill training?
      Percentage of
      Maximum Benefit
      At least 36 months Yes 100
      At least 30 continuous days on active duty
      (Discharged due to service-connected disability)
      Yes 100
      At least 30 months, but less than 36 months Yes 90
      At least 24 months, but less than 30 months Yes 80
      At least 18 months, but less than 24 months No 70
      At least 12 months, but less than 18 months No 60
      At least 6 months, but less than 12 months No 50
      At least 90 days, but less than 6 months No 40

Comment

Thank you for answering my question. The reason I'm doing guard and not active is because I already work for the government and I'm basically joining because I've always wanted to and my wife is being supportive. I don't need the money and actually if I get deployed ill be losing money. I mainly WANT to serve.

Comment

Working...
        X