Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pay and Families - The Worry

Hello Everyone,

I am thinking about joining the Guard. I have done a lot of research and searching to answer the majority of my questions. But this one's a little tricky.

In calculating my pay when I am out for BCT and AIT, it falls significantly short of what I make at my current job. I would be going in as an E3 with dependents. The pay is right around $3400 a month, but after taxes I don't know if it would be enough. I currently bring home ~4500 before taxes.

Here are the questions:

1) How have you or others worked around this situation? Are special programs I may not have been told about that will help me support my family while I am gone?
    2) In regards to my daughter, my wife may have to quit work. Do they help with childcare? Do anyone know of anything that is available?

This is a huge concern, because I cannot leave my wife to struggle while I do this, but every fiber of my soul is pushing me to go. I suppose saving to accommodate the difference would be the route to take, and believe me I would do it if necessary. The scare is that maybe I didn't save enough or something happens while I am away.

Your thoughts and insight is greatly appreciated.

Re: Pay and Families - The Worry

You can talk to your banks and credit companies about deferments during your training for larger payments like cars and mortgage. I doubt this is an uncommon request. And no the Guard does not provide childcare.

Comment

Thank you, I will look into that.

Does anyone know if BAS, FAS, and COLA are also paid during BCT/AIT? Any help is greatly appreciated. Also, I have scoured these forums for hours, asked my recruiter and cannot get a clear and exact answer.

This is extremely important to me. Thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by Vin View Post
        Thank you, I will look into that.

Does anyone know if BAS, FAS, and COLA are also paid during BCT/AIT? Any help is greatly appreciated. Also, I have scoured these forums for hours, asked my recruiter and cannot get a clear and exact answer.

This is extremely important to me. Thank you!
        The only pays you will qualify for and receive during BCT/AIT are base pay, BAH w/ dependent rate based on your zip code and Family Separation Pay (FSP-$250 per month). Neither BAH or FSP are taxable.

You would not receive BAS, do to the fact that you will be eating in a military dining facility (Mess/chow hall). Army National Guard/Reserve soldiers do not qualify for COLA.
        Last edited by SF Hunter; September 10th, 2013, 04:34 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X