X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Veteran on Driver's license

Anyone have a state where they put VETERAN on their driver's license? I did here in Texas. All I had to do when I renewed was bring in a dd-214. They don't care how many days active duty you have ect...just a dd-214. Make a long story short, I used it today in Memorial Day at Walgreens. Took the wife, and went around picking up things we needed, saved a total of over six dollars. 15 percent off of everything, and if it was a Walgreens's brand, it was 20 percent off. Not bad. Even picked up a six pack of BIG FLATS beer, brewed in Rochester NY by Genesee brewing company. I won't say its the best beer, but I'm on my fifth right now. Semper to the Fi!!!

Re: Veteran on Driver's license

I also can't figure why veterans are having a hard time getting a government issued, national VETERANS identification card. Why it keeps getting turned down in the house legislatively. It's not like an active ID card where benefits are applied to. These Veterans designations on driver's licenses confuse the hell out of everyone never affliliated in the military, the word is just not out locally. But the girl at Walgreens had no issue with it. She called over the manager, all only over the beer I bought....BIG FLATS....but no mention of the military discount, all went well in that department. GOOD FOR WALGREEN'S.
    Last edited by marinecomm; May 27th, 2013, 11:44 PM.

Comment

Good stuff In Colorado, you can put the label of your service on your license if you are active duty.

http://www.colorado.gov/cs/Satellite.../1251633785623

EDIT: It should be for Reservist/Guard as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Chief Kemosabe View Post
        Good stuff In Colorado, you can put the label of your service on your license if you are active duty.

http://www.colorado.gov/cs/Satellite.../1251633785623

EDIT: It should be for Reservist/Guard as well.
        Read the article again. This applies to VETERANS as well...........Beginning November 13, 2012, military service members and veterans may request to include a military identifier on their Colorado driver’s license and ID card

National Guard is listed too.
        Last edited by marinecomm; May 28th, 2013, 02:33 AM.

Comment

Oh, the 15/20 percent did not apply to a gallon of milk or the six pack of beer, just wanted to make that clear.

Comment

Originally posted by marinecomm View Post
            Read the article again. This applies to VETERANS as well...........Beginning November 13, 2012, military service members and veterans may request to include a military identifier on their Colorado driver’s license and ID card

National Guard is listed too.
            Look at all those benefits at what a DD214 of 5 months active service brings you. That is awesome.

Comment

Oregon has Veteran DL tags and branch-specific veteran plates w/ logos.

Comment

Never heard of this. Looked up my state and it was signed into law last year, but I just freakin renewed a few months ago. They don't let you add it until its time for renewal so I am out for the next 5 years. Doh!

But I do have NGuard plates still and will probably get the Veteran plates for when I buy a new truck hopefully next year.

Comment

Alabama has tags for everybody.

Click image for larger version

Name:	47aed2e5986655dc5cca16e8c73dcba1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	17.9 KB
ID:	421

Name:	8e613cd24fdd89b17a30b7e27ef025c8.jpg
Size:	17.8 KB
ID:	422

...And for you Jarheads on here:

Name:	452b782135a7d6786ff31d5af06674d6.jpg
Size:	19.6 KB
ID:	423

Comment

Originally posted by SteveLord View Post
                    Never heard of this. Looked up my state and it was signed into law last year, but I just freakin renewed a few months ago. They don't let you add it until its time for renewal so I am out for the next 5 years. Doh!

But I do have NGuard plates still and will probably get the Veteran plates for when I buy a new truck hopefully next year.
                    For Oregon? I see your profile says Iowa, but I understand there a lot of out-of-state OR ARNG members. I'm debating which plate to get on my next car. The Oregon NG plate it boring, wish it had the logo too.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Chief Kemosabe View Post
                        Look at all those benefits at what a DD214 of 5 months active service brings you. That is awesome.
                        Not so fast. I get your satire, but not hardly a benefit. (And its six months on a dd-214 for boot camp and basic training, or 180 days active duty for training I think is what you mean.) It should be a requirement. It's crazy to have to tow around a dd-214 to show to people for proof of veteranship. I like it the way Virginia and Delaware does it. They issue you a separate ID card for proof of veteranship. They figure if the FEDS don't do it, the state will. That may sound like a corky benefit for those carrying around an active duty ID card or a retiree's ID card. But other veterans that don't retire from military service have no other way of showing that they are a veteran aside carrying around an old document folded up in a wallet that is bound to wear and tear in two years. Some retirees made the biggest stink about this legislation on veterans ID card being issued, thinking that a veterans ID card would somehow tie into veterans benefits which is not the case.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveLord View Post

It's a neat jester however, honestly speaking, it has only come into play once since I've gotten my license a year ago. That was yesterday for that Memorial Day sale at Walgreens. The truth of the matter is, most cashiers and main stream society doesn't know what a real military ID card looks like, much less a retirees ID card or a veterans designation on a driver's license. I still feel that DOD should come out with a veteran's ID card that reads in big bold letters VETERAN OF THE ARMED FORCES with U.S. seal and a picture of you in the front of the card. A legal U.S. document.

I have Marine Corps (Honorably Discharged) license plates in Texas for one of my cars. I had one in my other car but I traded it in and they issued me regular tags, so I have my marine tags sitting inside my car in a compartment waiting to get a moment to change them back to them. Just been to lazy to do it and that DMV place is far away and got to stand in line. Not motivated when I have perfectly good tags on my car, only thing is it don't say USMC on them.
                          Last edited by marinecomm; May 28th, 2013, 05:38 PM.

Comment

Name:	1514bbc9061026088dfd31baed21688b.jpg
Size:	17.4 KB
ID:	424

Comment

Originally posted by marinecomm View Post
                              I have Marine Corps (Honorably Discharged) license plates in Texas for one of my cars.
                              Are there Texas Marine Corps Dishonorable/OTH/GUH Discharged License plates too?

I think you made it clear that you are bothered by not having true veteran status recognition and trying to find ways in achieving that status (even as a civilian in MPS) but as you have posted; you have received more of your fair share of perks for the limited time (in days) that you have served. And I say limited because an active duty individual with one year in service would have completed more days of service than you.

We are all proud of your service and you should not be bothered by the lack of your veteran status from the federal government.
                              Last edited by Chief Kemosabe; May 28th, 2013, 05:58 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X