X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pay during BOLC?

Not trying to sound greedy and definitely not looking to join for the money but I did have a question regading pay while at BOLC. What happens if you make more monthly in your civilian job than you would while at BOLC? BOLC for a 70B is roughly 2 months and as a 1LT I would make significantly less then I do at the hospital I work. I have heard that the NG will match your pay but I can not find that anywhere. I know this seems like a petty question but I am just looking for as much information as possible. Thanks in advance.

Re: Pay during BOLC?

Negative Sir, NG does not match your pay. You'll get your 1LT pay as if you were on Active Duty while at BOLC-B.

It is up to your individual organization to make up the difference, if they want to or not, as there is nothing that can force them to.

Comment

Originally posted by mrobert6 View Post
      Not trying to sound greedy and definitely not looking to join for the money but I did have a question regading pay while at BOLC. What happens if you make more monthly in your civilian job than you would while at BOLC? BOLC for a 70B is roughly 2 months and as a 1LT I would make significantly less then I do at the hospital I work. I have heard that the NG will match your pay but I can not find that anywhere. I know this seems like a petty question but I am just looking for as much information as possible. Thanks in advance.
      ? You would still make less after adding Base Pay, BAH and BAS?? (Dont forget the last two are not taxed).

If so, Kudos to you. Not many people can say that.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.Incognito View Post
        ? You would still make less after adding Base Pay, BAH and BAS?? (Dont forget the last two are not taxed).

If so, Kudos to you. Not many people can say that.
        I made slightly less when I was at BCT, albeit I was a lower pay-grade in my CIV job at that point. When I am at BOLC I will be in a similar situation as mrobert6, albeit I bet my pay gap won't be like yours. As a 70D and working at a hospital...I'm guessing you are a doctor of some sort?

As a Federal Employee I'll be using my Annual/Sick/Military leave intermittently while I'm gone as allowable by law, and that will help make up for a little bit of it. My BOLC is going to be at LEAST a year though, so that will run out quick. It lasted maybe 3 months last time. Not that you'd want to use any of your other leave, but you do have that choice and it's a way to get double paid during that period. It took me a whole year just to build back leave after I exhausted most of it during BCT and Phase I of OCS...so I can imagine I won't have ANY left when I finally return back to work.

Comment

Negative. However do you get any military leave? Can you use any personal leave during this time? If so you can double dip....

I was at BOLC last year as a topped out 2LT, making less than my civilian job. However I got 21 days of military leave and I used some of my personal leave. Bottom line - I double dipped about 8 of the 11 weeks I was gone.

Comment

Remember your Tax Free portions of your check.

Comment

I have heard that the NG will match your pay but I can not find that anywhere. I know this seems like a petty question but I am just looking for as much information as possible. Thanks in advance.
              It's not a petty question. Also, it's not selfish to look after one's own interests. It only becomes selfish if you look after your interests at the expense of others.

Anyway, you may be thinking of a provision to match the pay of Soldiers mobilized and deployed overseas. I don't recall the details, although I do know that you don't fall under that provision because yours is a CONUS training mission.

I don't have a simple answer for you, other than to hope that in the long-run you'll come out ahead financially because of the National Guard. I hope even more that you have great satisfaction from the things that money can't buy, such as personal growth, friendships, and meaningful experiences.

Comment

You're going to have to look at your employer benefits. If you find that they offer a benefit like that, do a careful analysis of what they offer vs what you'll need.

I was in your situation. I made more on the outside than I did as a 2LT with 9 years (for pay). I was authorized 15 working days for military leave per year, but I also had to plan for occasional drill dates and possibly AT. What I did was take 2 or 3 weeks then I took a 5 days of military leave. I ended at just over a months civilian pay, plus military pay which was enough of a bump to take care of some of the stuff I needed to take care of, allowing me to get by financially while still having enough military leave for the rest of the year.

Comment

Will the orders for BCT show "Active Duty"? The reason I am asking is because my civilian employer (a public school district) offers military leave as stated below. They have employees whom are in the National Guard, but have never dealt with someone leaving for BCT.

“Employees who are members of the National Guard or the armed forces reserve when ordered by proper authority to active non-civilian employment shall be entitled to leave of absence. The first 20 days of such leave of absence shall be without loss of pay. If the leave of absence is necessitated by a full or partial mobilization of the National Guard or armed forces reserve, or emergency state active duty, the first 30 days of leave shall be without loss of pay.”

Comment

Originally posted by jwald View Post
                    Will the orders for BCT show "Active Duty"? The reason I am asking is because my civilian employer (a public school district) offers military leave as stated below. They have employees whom are in the National Guard, but have never dealt with someone leaving for BCT.

“Employees who are members of the National Guard or the armed forces reserve when ordered by proper authority to active non-civilian employment shall be entitled to leave of absence. The first 20 days of such leave of absence shall be without loss of pay. If the leave of absence is necessitated by a full or partial mobilization of the National Guard or armed forces reserve, or emergency state active duty, the first 30 days of leave shall be without loss of pay.”
                    Yes. Your orders will state that you're ordered to active duty under title 32. According to what you posted, you'll be entitled to 20 days of paid leave.

Comment

Hi all, thanks for all the great information. Yes, I am extremely fortunate to have this potential issue. I am not a doctor but I am a director at my hospital. I did find this article and wondered if this is still relevant? If so, the 15 days of pay while getting active duty pay will fill in the gap for sure.

Must an employer allow an employee time off so he or she can participate in military training or active duty?

Yes. Under Washington law, an employee is entitled to a military leave of absence for a period not to exceed 15 days each year beginning October 1 and ending the following September 30. During military leave or active duty, the employee continues to be paid his or her regular salary regardless whether the employee was ordered to take the training or whether he or she volunteered.[/U]

Comment

Hi all, thanks for all the great information. Yes, I am extremely fortunate to have this potential issue. I am not a doctor but I am a director at my hospital. I did find this article and wondered if this is still relevant? If so, the 15 days of pay while getting active duty pay will fill in the gap for sure.

Must an employer allow an employee time off so he or she can participate in military training or active duty?

Yes. Under Washington law, an employee is entitled to a military leave of absence for a period not to exceed 15 days each year beginning October 1 and ending the following September 30. During military leave or active duty, the employee continues to be paid his or her regular salary regardless whether the employee was ordered to take the training or whether he or she volunteered.[/U]
                        What article?

Comment

Working...
                        X