Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Don't Follow SCRA? Go to Jail!

http://blog.al.com/spotnews/2013/03/...dicts_cul.html

Keep this in mind for when you deploy. It is one of your benefits/rights.

Re: Don't Follow SCRA? Go to Jail!

does anyone know a lot about scra benefits and how to use them? Say If I was active duty marine corps from 2001-2005 and now in the guard. I joined in 2007 and now my ets is coming up. If I deployed in the marine corps, but not with the guard, what type of paperwork would I need from the guard to pass onto my banks and car loans etc etc. I am really having trouble understanding it all, I am stupid to not have used it after I got off active, but didn't really have any debt then. Now I have numerous credit cards and a car loan that exceeds 6%. I was involved in the capital one lawsuit and was deemed eligible without doing a thing. Can I still get the benefit now that I am getting out of the guard, but got off active in 2005 with no break in service except IRR. Any help would be appreciated thanks, because I know it says you have like 180 to get your orders out, but not sure if that meant in 2005 or 2013 for me thanks......... Dealing with Navy Federal Credit Union

Comment

SCRA only applies if you were to actually mobilize. You just being a TPU Soldier you wouldn't qualify. Also the debt must be from before your mobilization.

Comment

Originally posted by aviation guy View Post
        does anyone know a lot about scra benefits and how to use them? Say If I was active duty marine corps from 2001-2005 and now in the guard. I joined in 2007 and now my ets is coming up. If I deployed in the marine corps, but not with the guard, what type of paperwork would I need from the guard to pass onto my banks and car loans etc etc. I am really having trouble understanding it all, I am stupid to not have used it after I got off active, but didn't really have any debt then. Now I have numerous credit cards and a car loan that exceeds 6%. I was involved in the capital one lawsuit and was deemed eligible without doing a thing. Can I still get the benefit now that I am getting out of the guard, but got off active in 2005 with no break in service except IRR. Any help would be appreciated thanks, because I know it says you have like 180 to get your orders out, but not sure if that meant in 2005 or 2013 for me thanks......... Dealing with Navy Federal Credit Union
        Doesnt work this way.

Comment

doesn't work what way? I was deployed already back in 2003 and 2004. I have debt from before I joined the guard.

Comment

Read this and understand and/or call the GI Rights hotline.

http://www.military.com/benefits/mil...-overview.html

http://girightshotline.org/en/

Comment

doesn't work what way? I was deployed already back in 2003 and 2004. I have debt from before I joined the guard.
              SCRA affects your current status and here is information pertaining to Guard members.

http://myarmybenefits.us.army.mil/Ho....html?serv=150

Comment

SCRA pertains to your current active status and here is information pertaining to Guard members. And CPT Redleg answered your question.

Eligibility:Army National Guard Soldiers on state active duty are eligible for the Servicemember's Civil Relief Act if they are serving under TITLE 32 under a call to active service by the President or the Secretary of Defense for more than 30 days. Benefits start on the date active duty orders are received, and SCRA protection generally terminates within 30 - 90 days after the date of discharge of active duty; in limited situations, a Soldier's dependents may also be eligible.
                http://myarmybenefits.us.army.mil/Ho....html?serv=150

The debt in question had to have started before you served on active duty or were activated. Hence, before 2001. I suggest you seek financial advice on how to handle your debt and to create a budget. Seek out Dave Ramsey for your financial hardship. Military Star provides 6% interest rates when a servicemember deploys.

http://www.daveramsey.com/home/?gcli...Fc4-Mgod-woAhQ
                Last edited by Chief Kemosabe; July 31st, 2013, 10:01 PM.

Comment

Scenario 1: you buy something before you ever serve at 8%. You get put in active duty for whatever....8% is now 6. You get off active duty...6 is back to 8.

Scenario 2: you get put on active duty, you buy something at 8% before you get done your tour...it will forever be 8%, scra doesnt apply.

Sceanrio 3: you get put on active duty for whatever....you get discharged, you buy something at 8%, you get put back on active duty....see scenario 1...scra applies.
                  Last edited by realitycheck; July 31st, 2013, 11:26 PM.

Comment

so since ive been with this same bank, since I was deployed back in 03 and then in 04, are they by law supposed to give me 6% after my deployment. This is what I was kind of getting at. Even though I am finally separating from my tours, I have been in since 2001 and am now ets in September from the reserves.

Comment

No, the protection only lasts as long as the deployment.

Comment

Originally posted by RedLeg View Post
                        No, the protection only lasts as long as the deployment.
                        OP..this is correct. Your situation appears to be scenario 2.

Comment

really so if I had 10% interest, got deployed for a year, now when I come home it is back to 10. I am pretty sure that is off, it should stay at 6% for the life of the loan.

Comment

HOLY SMOKES!!! It was already broken down Barney style!

I had my military star put at 6% last year when I deployed. I brought my orders to the rep at the PX. When I returned from deployment, it was changed back to the interest rate I had before. Also, there is no retroactive changes. I cant show orders from a deployment four years ago because I forgot to let me creditor now. It does not work that way. You snooze, you lose.

Comment

really so if I had 10% interest, got deployed for a year, now when I come home it is back to 10. I am pretty sure that is off, it should stay at 6% for the life of the loan.
                              Trust me, Im a 27D and I give the SCRA brief all the time. It probably should stay 6% for the life of the loan. The problem is that is not what the law says. The law says interest past 6% is forgiven during the period of military service. Some banks may not revert it back, but if they do you have no argument.

I don't know what else to tell you. I can't break it down any easier then that.

Comment

Working...
                              X