X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LASIK

After BCT, will the guard pay for me to get Lasik or whatever corrective eye surgery is appropriate for my eyes? I only ask this because I can't find a consistent answer.

Re: LASIK

Originally posted by Reagan View Post
    After BCT, will the guard pay for me to get Lasik or whatever corrective eye surgery is appropriate for my eyes? I only ask this because I can't find a consistent answer.
    Never heard of such a thing; I paid for my PRK out of pocket. HOWEVER -- get PRK rather than LASiK. LASiK permanently, unwaiverably disqualifies you from certain schools. PRK does not, and has a lower incidence of complications. Downside: more uncomfortable, more recovery time. Have fun.

Comment

Short answer, sometimes. If you are Pre-Mob'ing, the Army does have a program to pay for the surgery. Few members of my old unit got it done before Iraq in 09.

As for the PRK/LASIK DQ'ing, I've heard both ways. An LT in my BOLC class was SF and had LASIK. So, who knows...

Comment

I think they got rid of that program. I'm in pre-mob right now and I was searching and asking all the medical personnel who might know and the most I got was I had to pay for it out of pocket unless I was on Title 10 and could get on the short list. Stipulations: you have to have at least 90 days of recovery time before heading over to theater. Even if I had the surgery done on my first day of T10 I still would not have 90 days before heading out. It also puts you on temporary profile for certain kinds of training, which depending on your chain of command could be a no go from the get go. So I missed my windows of opportunity trying to be cheap and get the military to pay for it. So I will get PRK done when I come back.

Comment

Originally posted by jwarren View Post
          Never heard of such a thing; I paid for my PRK out of pocket. HOWEVER -- get PRK rather than LASiK. LASiK permanently, unwaiverably disqualifies you from certain schools. PRK does not, and has a lower incidence of complications. Downside: more uncomfortable, more recovery time. Have fun.
          +1. Jwarren had PRK done pretty soon after I had PRK done.

Comment

When I was on active duty my room mate got PRK done for free. Unfortunately, by time I met the age requirements I no longer met the service remaining requirements. I ended up paying for PRK out of pocket after I switched to the guard. The only upside to paying for it was the pain killers they prescribe you. My room mate was pretty much left to suffer through it when he got it done by the army, but getting it done on the civilian side I get a few prescriptions that made the discomfort easily bearable.

Just be careful about getting it done too young. I was 22 when I got it done, and apparently my eyes continued to grow longer than most peoples do. My vision was 20/10 about a month after I got it done, but since my eyes continued to grow for about a year after I got the surgery I ended up with 20/30 before they stopped.

Comment

Originally posted by jmclaughlin1701 View Post
              As for the PRK/LASIK DQ'ing, I've heard both ways. An LT in my BOLC class was SF and had LASIK. So, who knows...
              LASiK is disqualifying for MFF and CDQC (Not waiverable) As for SF in general it may be waived by the SF Surgeon. PRK/LASeK is authorized for all military training/courses.

Comment

Originally posted by SF Hunter View Post
                LASiK is disqualifying for MFF and CDQC (Not waiverable) As for SF in general it may be waived by the SF Surgeon. PRK/LASeK is authorized for all military training/courses.
                Well, there ya go then....

Comment

Working...
                X