X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• education benefits question

will failing the APFT prevent me from getting education benefits? I want to go to college but i dont know if i should wait another 3 years til im out. Im worried if i get my benefits then fail the PT test if they will take them away and make me pay them back. thanks in advance for help

Re: education benefits question

Yes. You must meet standards in order to qualify for tuition assistance. Failing weight standards, PT standards, drill attendance, and duty performance are all legitimate reasons to stop your tuition assistance.

The requirement is meeting minimum standards. You'll get the same TA with a 180 as you will with a 300. Is this really as daunting a challenge as you've described it?

Comment

Stay hunger brother, get out there and run today.

Comment

Originally posted by Williamsd View Post
        will failing the APFT prevent me from getting education benefits? I want to go to college but i dont know if i should wait another 3 years til im out. Im worried if i get my benefits then fail the PT test if they will take them away and make me pay them back. thanks in advance for help
        Once they pay the school via tuition assistance failing a subsequent apft may prevent future tuition payments but it is not something that triggers recoupment of monies already paid.

Comment

Originally posted by matthew.ritchie View Post
          Yes. You must meet standards in order to qualify for tuition assistance. Failing weight standards, PT standards, drill attendance, and duty performance are all legitimate reasons to stop your tuition assistance.

The requirement is meeting minimum standards. You'll get the same TA with a 180 as you will with a 300. Is this really as daunting a challenge as you've described it?
          AR 621-5 specifically excludes APFT and HT/WT failures as reasons to be denied tuition assistance. All you really need to be eligible is to be in a drilling status and not coded as unsat. Flags under AR 600-8-2 (para 1-12 through 1-15) will suspend your eligibility, though.

AR 621-5 does not include any recoupment for loss of eligibility after TA is approved.
          In other words, if I get my TA approved, flagging action won't result in recoupment.

'Course the best advice in this thread it to get out and run.

Comment

Working...
          X