X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SMP Questions

I'm new to this site and have a few questions about the SMP program. I have been seriously considering joining the guard after high school and when I looked at joining I saw that it's 8 years commitment when you're doing the SMP program. My question is will my four years in college count as four years toward my commitment, or will my 8 years start after I graduate? If those four years do count, is there anyway I can serve my remaining four years active duty? Also, will I go to basic and AIT before I start college and get any funding?

I plan on meeting with a recruiter sometime next week, I just want to have some information on the program before I speak with him.

Re: SMP Questions

Originally posted by Brooke-Kinlaw View Post
    I'm new to this site and have a few questions about the SMP program. I have been seriously considering joining the guard after high school and when I looked at joining I saw that it's 8 years commitment when you're doing the SMP program. My question is will my four years in college count as four years toward my commitment, or will my 8 years start after I graduate? If those four years do count, is there anyway I can serve my remaining four years active duty? Also, will I go to basic and AIT before I start college and get any funding?

I plan on meeting with a recruiter sometime next week, I just want to have some information on the program before I speak with him.
    Those 4 years will not count toward your 8-year obligation. However, if you choose to do SMP, but don't take a GRFD contract, you can compete for an Active Duty slot upon graduation.

Comment

The 8 year commitment starts after your done with college. You can go active duty officer if you didn't accept any NG scholarships. You'll just have to compete with all the other cadets that want active duty. Also, no you don't have to go to basic/ait but if you want to take advantage of the GI bill then you will. If you choose not to do basic/ait you won't get the GI bill and you'll have to do LTC for ROTC before you can contract.

Comment

Take a look at the link in my signature block.

Comment

Thank you, LTC Ritchie, for the link you provided me. There is a lot of great information but I'd like to ask for your help in answering a couple of questions. In your opinion, what is my best option to receive funding for a four year college upon completion of high school? My intent, if possible, is to serve as an officer on active duty upon my graduation from college.

Comment

Originally posted by Brooke-Kinlaw View Post
            In your opinion, what is my best option to receive funding for a four year college upon completion of high school? My intent, if possible, is to serve as an officer on active duty upon my graduation from college.
            How refreshing to find someone with some clear goals and priorities.

Given what you've described, your best option is the US Military Academy at West Point -- free education, guaranteed active duty commission (unless you flunk out, but that outcome will void anything you're doing).

Second, get a four-year ROTC scholarship to a school whose tuition is covered by that scholarship. Whether you can get one, and whether such things even exist when you go to apply, are open questions.

You could also enlist in the National Guard and complete Basic and AIT prior to starting college. Use your drill pay, federal tuition assistance, and Montgomery GI Bill for college, and perhaps even get an ROTC scholarship for three or two years. I have another thread in my signature block that discusses which sources of school money to use and not use, depending on the obligation you want to fulfill at the end.

Comment

Originally posted by matthew.ritchie View Post
              How refreshing to find someone with some clear goals and priorities.

Given what you've described, your best option is the US Military Academy at West Point -- free education, guaranteed active duty commission (unless you flunk out, but that outcome will void anything you're doing).

Second, get a four-year ROTC scholarship to a school whose tuition is covered by that scholarship. Whether you can get one, and whether such things even exist when you go to apply, are open questions.

You could also enlist in the National Guard and complete Basic and AIT prior to starting college. Use your drill pay, federal tuition assistance, and Montgomery GI Bill for college, and perhaps even get an ROTC scholarship for three or two years. I have another thread in my signature block that discusses which sources of school money to use and not use, depending on the obligation you want to fulfill at the end.
              I may be wrong but I thought the traditional ROTC scholarship and SMP are mutually exclusive. But that have also been Rutgers ROTC not wanting to give a traditional ROTC scholarship to a SMP cadet who was already not going to have to pay tuition due to State Tuition Waiver.

Comment

Originally posted by Polo08816 View Post
                I may be wrong but I thought the traditional ROTC scholarship and SMP are mutually exclusive.
                Yes. Regular ROTC scholarships preclude SMP service, whereas Dedicated ARNG and Guaranteed Reserve Forces Duty scholarships require it. If an SMP cadet obtains a regular ROTC scholarship, the Guard will discharge him from SMP service. Note that a Guardsman only becomes an SMP cadet upon contracting in ROTC. It's possible to serve in ROTC as a Guardsman and not be an SMP cadet (i.e., the first two years of ROTC). Of course, someone who has completed Basic and AIT are not required to complete the first two years of ROTC, although they are welcome to do so.

Comment

Working...
                X