X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Process of using student loan repayment benefit

When I enlisted earlier this year, I told my recruiter that I had student loans. He told me the Guard will pay them off and to "worry about that later". After talking with some fellow soldiers in AIT, I found out they started the process when they signed. Did I miss out or can I still take advantage of the benefit? (The student loans are all pre-enlistment.)

And if I'm still able to, how would I go about doing so? I'm currently in AIT, but home for exodus. Should I contact my recruiter? RSP? AIT liaison when I get back?

Re: Process of using student loan repayment benefit

Originally posted by Dusty View Post
    When I enlisted earlier this year, I told my recruiter that I had student loans. He told me the Guard will pay them off and to "worry about that later". After talking with some fellow soldiers in AIT, I found out they started the process when they signed. Did I miss out or can I still take advantage of the benefit? (The student loans are all pre-enlistment.)

And if I'm still able to, how would I go about doing so? I'm currently in AIT, but home for exodus. Should I contact my recruiter? RSP? AIT liaison when I get back?
    Are you serious right now? How many pieces of paper did you sign that said something to the effect of "I have not been promised anything that is not in writing". If student loan repayment is not in your contract, you do not have it. This question is probably posted once a week, there is a search function.

Comment

Re: Process of using student loan repayment benefit

Originally posted by Dusty View Post

That is correct. If it's not in your initial contract, you won't be able to get it again until you re-up for an additional 6 years. So, you can get it EVENTUALLY, but you're out of luck this time around.

A side note, make SURE to double check your initial contract. I hate to say it, but it's not uncommon for Soldiers to sign things they don't recall later.

Comment

Working...
      X