Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: BAH Dependent

Originally posted by fmcityslicker View Post
    Sounds like the typical tax lawyer that can provide all the loopholes but I believe the government should provide the money for a legitimate need. This is why the country is in so much finanical duress. To me, it is just out of the ordinary circumstances that people get these entitlements. But I guess since it is just for BCT/AIT; no harm no foul right?

OP, if you are a finanical burden, then work for the money and give it to your parents. Not try to find ways to gain an advantage over the government to get extra money. Anyway, just my two cents. If legally, you are eligible or make yourself eligible, then there is no problem. But the way you worded your question sounded more like you were trying to find a way to scam the system.

Not sure how I worded it sound sound like I'm trying to scam anything, in fact I don't even care about the money. Every penny of that money is to go to my parents as I stated. I didn't even know you can pocket left over funds from your BAH.

Comment

Originally posted by ParalegalNCO1 View Post
      Then I would like you to write a check back to the government for a years worth of BAS because we all know you ate three times a day in the chow hall for free while deployed. And you were not in financial need.
      BS and you know that all Soldiers that are deployed are entitled to family separation plus their BAH/BAS entitlements. Out of my 23 years of service; 15 years of it, I had dependents and was entitled to all my benefits.

Comment

BS and you know that all Soldiers that are deployed are entitled to family separation plus their BAH/BAS entitlements. Out of my 23 years of service; 15 years of it, I had dependents and was entitled to all my benefits.
        Right. And if you have a lease/mortgage/deed, you are entitled to BAH benefits.

BAS is not dependant driven. It is only for the Soldier.

Comment

Originally posted by national View Post
          Not sure how I worded it sound sound like I'm trying to scam anything, in fact I don't even care about the money. Every penny of that money is to go to my parents as I stated. I didn't even know you can pocket left over funds from your BAH.
          Well the legal man said that even if you had a house under your name and was never paying rent; then you are entitled BAH and I knew that but your scenario shows that you have never been paying rent and now trying to gain extra money for BAH by conjuring up a lease agreement between you and your parents to become eligible and that is why I gave my opinion. You been living free and now trying to get extra money on top of your base pay for it because you feel you are a burden to your parents.
          Last edited by Chief Kemosabe; December 10th, 2012, 10:48 PM.

Comment

Right. And if you have a lease/mortgage/deed, you are entitled to BAH benefits.

BAS is not dependant driven. It is only for the Soldier.
            And your point? Where am I adjusting my circumstances to get more money for an entitlement? If that was the case; then why not the government not allow it or restrict it for the deployment? You might as well say I should still pay taxes since I am deployed.

Comment

And your point? Where am I adjusting my circumstances to get more money for an entitlement? If that was the case; then why not the government not allow it or restrict it for the deployment? You might as well say I should not forfeit paying my taxes since I am deployed.
              No. I agree with you. And the government also allows getting full BAH on a lease for 1 dollar.....that's my point.

Comment

Well the legal man said that even if you had a house under your name and was never paying rent; then you are entitled BAH and I knew that but your scenario shows that you have never been paying rent and now trying to gain extra money for BAH by conjuring up a lease agreement between you and your parents to become eligible and that is why I gave my opinion. You been living free and now trying to get extra money on top of your base pay for it because you feel you are a burden to your parents.

So to sum up both your comments; I can say I can in fact legally obtain BAH but it is morally wrong? Do I got that right?

Comment

Originally posted by national View Post
                  So to sum up both your comments; I can say I can in fact legally obtain BAH but it is morally wrong? Do I got that right?
                  Legal or not is factual information. Whether something is moral, when it's legal, is a matter of opinion.

Comment

Legal or not is factual information. Whether something is moral, when it's legal, is a matter of opinion.
                    And this is true. It is like the recruit who intended to marry his fiancee next year but realizes he can get extra money if he marries her before he goes to basic. It is simply the financial motive driving the scenario. Is it ethically or morally right to take the hard left? That is something that the individual has to decide and live with. I do not make up the rules.
                    Last edited by Chief Kemosabe; December 10th, 2012, 11:06 PM.

Comment

And the title of your thread is incorrect. If has nothing to do with a BAH dependent but if you are eligible for BAH based on your living arrangement.

Comment

Be advised that all of your concern has revolved around your own situation. If you indeed develop a lease with your parents in order to qualify for BAH, that will have implications for your mother. She may wish to contact a tax professional, because she'll need to claim that rental income on her taxes.

Comment

Working...
                        X