X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BAH Dependent

Before I begin I'd like to say that I know this is a topic discussed numerous times and I have in fact read through them but haven't found the answer to my very specific situation.

I am living in a apartment separate of my parents house. My apartment is in fact owned by my mother and we do not have any formal lease agreement as of yet. I do have utility bills in my name such as electricity and cable but those too are paid by her. I am a current full time college student and do not afford to live in my area would be aprrox. 2500/ month ( not realistic for college student)

I have done some research as to the requirements for receiving BAH and have also learned it can be both tricky and dangerous. The last thing I would want is accidentally receive BAH illegally.

If I was to create a legal lease agreement and apply for BAH and give every penny received to my parents and then have them file that as income, would that be okay?

Re: BAH Dependent

Originally posted by national View Post
    Before I begin I'd like to say that I know this is a topic discussed numerous times and I have in fact read through them but haven't found the answer to my very specific situation.

I am living in a apartment separate of my parents house. My apartment is in fact owned by my mother and we do not have any formal lease agreement as of yet. I do have utility bills in my name such as electricity and cable but those too are paid by her. I am a current full time college student and do not afford to live in my area would be aprrox. 2500/ month ( not realistic for college student)

I have done some research as to the requirements for receiving BAH and have also learned it can be both tricky and dangerous. The last thing I would want is accidentally receive BAH illegally.

If I was to create a legal lease agreement and apply for BAH and give every penny received to my parents and then have them file that as income, would that be okay?
    Yes. As long as you have a lease for where you live and you are not bu11shitting anyone you will be fine.

Comment

I should add that I am leaving for BCT + AIT soon for about 6-7 months. My mos also requires TSC so the last thing I want to do and mess anything up.

Comment

Originally posted by ParalegalNCO1 View Post
        Yes. As long as you have a lease for where you live and you are not bu11shitting anyone you will be fine.
        And honestly, even if you were you would still probably be fine. The only BAH fraud cases I have seen successfully prosecuted involved lying about having dependants.

Comment

I read a few people stating that you must acquire your lease 6 months prior to leaving. Is that true?

Comment

So you want to receive BAH; even though you do not actually pay rent or have a lease so you can make money for your parents?

Comment

I read a few people stating that you must acquire your lease 6 months prior to leaving. Is that true?
              No.........

Comment

Originally posted by fmcityslicker View Post
                So you want to receive BAH; even though you do not actually pay rent or have a lease so you can make money for your parents?

Doesn't sound very nice when you put it that way lol but yes basically. I have been a financially burden on them and if I can ease that then and do so legitimately then why not.

Comment

Funny thing about BAH...you dont actually have to have an expense.

If I gave you a deed to a house as a gift.....you would get BAH.

Comment

That sounds too good to be true to me. I have googled this and found numerous instances of people being punished or even discharged for fraud by use of BAH. Going through TSC process is scrutinizing enough and I want to ensure this won't cause a problem.
                    Last edited by national; December 10th, 2012, 09:13 PM.

Comment

That sounds too good to be true to me. I has googled this and found numerous instances of people being punished or even discharged for fraud by use of BAH. Going through TSC process is scrutinizing enough and I want to ensure this won't cause a problem.
                      First, I would like to see one that didn't involve dependants or a completely fictitious address.

Second, a lease is a lease, just make it a legit lease and you are fine. Your lease could technically be for 1 dollar and you could legally draw BAH.

Comment

First, I would like to see one that didn't involve dependants or a completely fictitious address.

Second, a lease is a lease, just make it a legit lease and you are fine. Your lease could technically be for 1 dollar and you could legally draw BAH.

This is news to me. If I understand correctly you saying that we can write up a lease for any monthly payment and I could keep the remainder of the funds? The BAH rate in my area is approx. 2,500 , that would be more than my actual pay.

To be honest, if I had enough income right now I would move out and get another apartment but no one would give me a lease with no income, let alone the down payment and other charges. BAH would seem to be much simpler then.
                        Last edited by national; December 10th, 2012, 09:23 PM.

Comment

This is news to me. If I understand correctly you saying that we can write up a lease for any monthly payment and I could keep the remainder of the funds? The BAH rate in my area is approx. 2,500 , that would be more than my actual pay.

To be honest, if I had enough income right now I would move out and get another apartment but no one would give me a lease with no income, let alone the down payment and other charges. BAH would seem to be much simpler then.
                          Yes. Bah is paid dependant upon zip code. If you choose to have a monthly housing expense of 6000 dollars or 60 dollars that is your choice, your BAH payment will be the same either way.

Comment

Sounds like the typical tax lawyer that can provide all the loopholes but I believe the government should provide the money for a legitimate need. This is why the country is in so much financial duress because people manipulate the system to their advantage. No fault though since the system is designed to get cheated in some way, shape or form. To me, this example is an out of the ordinary circumstance that affords people these type of entitlements. But I guess since he will only get full BAH while at BCT and AIT and this is just temporary; no harm, no foul right?

OP, if you are a finanical burden, then work for the money and give it to your parents. Not try to find ways to gain an advantage over the government to get extra money. Anyway, just my two cents. If legally, you are eligible or make yourself eligible, then I guess there is no problem. But the way you worded your question, it appeared like you were trying to find a way to scam the system.
                            Last edited by Chief Kemosabe; December 10th, 2012, 10:09 PM.

Comment

Sounds like the typical tax lawyer that can provide all the loopholes but I believe the government should provide the money for a legitimate need. This is why the country is in so much finanical duress.
                              Then I would like you to write a check back to the government for a years worth of BAS because we all know you ate three times a day in the chow hall for free while deployed. And you were not in financial need.

Comment

Working...
                              X