X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Confused about benefits

I am in the process of reenlisting as an 09S. I was in the Guard for 3 years back in the late 1990s. As I understand it, I will be receiving drill pay, GI bill, and a state kicker every month. I am currently a junior in college.

I am waiting on a medical waiver to be approved. Looks like that may happen in December hopefully. I took out student loans for the current semester. If I get in before the next semester starts, the Guard should pay my tuition. If not, I will need to take out another loan. That shouldn't be a problem, should it? I intend to use the Guard to repay my loans (SLRP).

Also, do I get GI Bill and kicker benefits only while in school? For example, I will not attend school next summer because of 1) annual training and 2) I will be traveling for research in order to write an honors thesis for my history degree.

Thanks for any help you can provide. My recruiter says he cannot tell me anything about bonuses/perks until I go to MEPS.

Re: Confused about benefits

Thanks for the reply, RyCass.

I looked around for a thread that explained SLRP/SRIP in a little more detail but came up empty handed. Can you explain and/or direct me somewhere where this is explained in detail? For example, if I have $12,000 in loans at the time of enlistment, and I commission roughly 18 months later, are all of my loans paid off or did the Guard just make the monthly payments during that time and I am left with the bulk of the principal?

My conundrum is this: in January I am eligible for another round of loans. After tuition and books, I would be left with about $4,000 for living expenses and whatnot (which would be very convenient as I am not working full-time while going to school). As I said before, I should be eligible to go to MEPS in December. If I postpone a month, I can get the loans and then have SLRP pay it. If I go in during the month of December, my school will be paid for by the Guard, but no money for living expenses.

Thanks for any clarification!

Comment

All loan payments are made once annually by the military. It is up to you to keep them current until the end of the year, or they wont pay anything.
      Last edited by RyCass; November 27th, 2012, 12:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by spcchap View Post
        Thanks for the reply, RyCass.

I looked around for a thread that explained SLRP/SRIP in a little more detail but came up empty handed. Can you explain and/or direct me somewhere where this is explained in detail? For example, if I have $12,000 in loans at the time of enlistment, and I commission roughly 18 months later, are all of my loans paid off or did the Guard just make the monthly payments during that time and I am left with the bulk of the principal?

My conundrum is this: in January I am eligible for another round of loans. After tuition and books, I would be left with about $4,000 for living expenses and whatnot (which would be very convenient as I am not working full-time while going to school). As I said before, I should be eligible to go to MEPS in December. If I postpone a month, I can get the loans and then have SLRP pay it. If I go in during the month of December, my school will be paid for by the Guard, but no money for living expenses.

Thanks for any clarification!
        OK, let me start over again. What I was trying to say made sense in my head, but it seems to have come out confusing. My apologies! Just so that you have a reference, I've sent you a PM with the exact Memorandum update on O9S SLRP. It's a bit too long to add here.

So, here's how it works. First, like I previously stated, in order to get the SLRP, you need to have it in your contract. If you do not have it in your initial enlistment contract, you have no hope of getting it until you re-up again. Being an Officer at that point, however, there may be some limitations, such as with other benefits. For now, that's not relevant, so I won't go into unless you need to.

Now, as an O9S applicant, you DO qualify for the SLRP, and to clarify, it DOES pay for your loans throughout your INITIAL 6 year contract. What I was trying to relate to you, is that you cannot "re-up" for another 6 year contract, and get the SLRP.
        More specifically:
        "(i) An SLRP extension is not authorized for an Officer who contracted for this incentive as an enlisted Applicant."

Also, the loans that are covered are ONLY the ones that are valid at the time of your enlistment. So, if you take out more loans, say, in a semester or two from now, those are not covered by the SLRP. Does this make better sense?

As to your conundrum, it sounds like waiting a month might be a good option for you since you can get that extra $4,000 under your SLRP. However, as stated above, once enlist, any other loans won't be covered by SLRP.

Again, sorry for the confusion. Let me know if you have any questions about the reference I sent you.

Comment

Wow that is not what my recruiter said. I'm about half way thru a Master Degree and the tuition assistance won't cover the cost per credit and my recruiter said I could just take out loans for the rest of it and the SLRP would pay for it since i'm only using 14k of it. Guess that's not right?

Comment

Let's combine your post so that others can understand where your confusion lies: http://www.nationalguard.com/forums/...24785-09s-slrp

One thing I would like to add to what I said is that the original OP is asking about the O9S SLRP. There are some differences between this and the Enlisted SLRP (specifically when it comes to what other benefits you can accept), so please be sure to get clarification on the SLRP you fall under.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Comment

Originally posted by RyCass View Post
              Also, the loans that are covered are ONLY the ones that are valid at the time of your enlistment. So, if you take out more loans, say, in a semester or two from now, those are not covered by the SLRP.
              Can you provide a reference for that?

Comment

Originally posted by ParalegalNCO1 View Post
                Can you provide a reference for that?
                5. Loans must be distributed prior to enlistment/re-enlistment/extension and be at least 1 year old on the anniversary date of the contract. Any loans taken out after the initial contract are not eligible.

Comment

Originally posted by tua05737 View Post
                  5. Loans must be distributed prior to enlistment/re-enlistment/extension and be at least 1 year old on the anniversary date of the contract. Any loans taken out after the initial contract are not eligible.
                  That is not a reference. That is a sentence, a sentence taken directly from another post made by Rycass.

Comment

Originally posted by ParalegalNCO1 View Post
                    That is not a reference. That is a sentence, a sentence taken directly from another post made by Rycass.
                    ARNG Selective Reserve Incentive Policy
                    Effective 05 June 2012 thru 31 December 2012
                    Para 18. a. (5)
                    page 50 of SRIP

Comment

Originally posted by B.Wood View Post
                      ARNG Selective Reserve Incentive Policy
                      Effective 05 June 2012 thru 31 December 2012
                      Para 18. a. (5)
                      page 50 of SRIP

Also, for those that are using the Benefits SRIP sticky's for reference, this is outlined in the first sticky " General Requirements for Select Reserve Incentive Program".

Comment

Working...
                      X