X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SGT. J. Buck

I enlisted in the Rhode Island Army National Guard in Mar. 1978 and opted to take the 15 year option to retire on Mar. 1993.
    other soldiers who also took this option was given a retirement letter, inwhich I never recieved one, I called my Col. in RI and asked him about it and he told me that he does not recall that order. (what can I do to obain this Letter of Retirement?)

Back in 1978, I was ordered for BCT & AIT inwhich i did, then returned to my unit to do my obligation.
    I enrolled for the VA Benefits, and 2 weeks ago recieved a call from the VA setting me up with the primary care physician, I went to the VA hospital in West Pakm Beach, Fl and was given an exam, the Dr. Gave me a Tetnas shot, to me to go to the Blood Station, they took 7 vials of blood, and was told to get a chest exray done, inwhich I did, a week passes, again the VA hospital calls me to schedule me for a breathing test, I get a call the other day for confirmation of the appointment, yesterday I get a call from The Elegability Staff stating that I was not entitled for benefits. (What Gives with that)
    Now, I feel like I gave 15 years of my life for NOTHING.

Can anyone help me?
    Thank You
    Last edited by RyCass; October 29th, 2012, 12:24 PM. Reason: No personal email address for privacy

Re: SGT. J. Buck

Originally posted by Jbuck930 View Post
    I enlisted in the Rhode Island Army National Guard in Mar. 1978 and opted to take the 15 year option to retire on Mar. 1993.
    other soldiers who also took this option was given a retirement letter, inwhich I never recieved one, I called my Col. in RI and asked him about it and he told me that he does not recall that order. (what can I do to obain this Letter of Retirement?)

Back in 1978, I was ordered for BCT & AIT inwhich i did, then returned to my unit to do my obligation.
    I enrolled for the VA Benefits, and 2 weeks ago recieved a call from the VA setting me up with the primary care physician, I went to the VA hospital in West Pakm Beach, Fl and was given an exam, the Dr. Gave me a Tetnas shot, to me to go to the Blood Station, they took 7 vials of blood, and was told to get a chest exray done, inwhich I did, a week passes, again the VA hospital calls me to schedule me for a breathing test, I get a call the other day for confirmation of the appointment, yesterday I get a call from The Elegability Staff stating that I was not entitled for benefits. (What Gives with that)
    Now, I feel like I gave 15 years of my life for NOTHING.

Can anyone help me?
    Thank You
    jbuck930@yahoo.com
    If you actually retired at 15 years (Ill talk about that in a minute), you would be considered a "gray area" retiree. Reserve and Guard Soldiers who are not drawing retirement pay (before age 60) who do not have service connected conditions and/or wartime service are not automatically eligble for VA healthcare.

15 Year reitrements in the Guard and Reserve to the best of my knowledge are only used for Soldiers who have a disability which is NOT in the line of duty and can no longer serve. Please tell us more about what happened at year 15.
    Last edited by ParalegalNCO1; October 27th, 2012, 10:35 PM.

Comment

When Bill Clinton became The Presidant, we had the Cold War, he also downsized the Military, during this time we were offered the 15 year option to retire, a number of my former soldiers recieved a Retirement Letter, I only recieved my DD-214 and the NGB - 22 form (not) the retirement letter.
      1978 thru 1993 was my enlisted time in. Like I said in the above entry, I called my Col. who now works in the Archives Div. in RI. and he told me that he does not recall the order.
      don't know how to obtain this Retirement Letter now.

Comment

Originally posted by Jbuck930 View Post
        When Bill Clinton became The Presidant, we had the Cold War, he also downsized the Military, during this time we were offered the 15 year option to retire, a number of my former soldiers recieved a Retirement Letter, I only recieved my DD-214 and the NGB - 22 form (not) the retirement letter.
        1978 thru 1993 was my enlisted time in. Like I said in the above entry, I called my Col. who now works in the Archives Div. in RI. and he told me that he does not recall the order.
        don't know how to obtain this Retirement Letter now.
        Even with a 15 year retirement, you still may not be entitled to VA Healthcare. The letter is kind of pointless, it just tells you that you are eligible for retirement. You NGB-22 that you have should show a separation for retirement in the narrative reasons at the bottom. What does it say down there?

Comment

I will have to get back with you tomorrow, I am at work right now.

Comment

And now 20 years later, you are following up?

I was out during that time (back in now) and it was Congress not Clinton downsizing the military. I just remember Clinton's poor handling of Black Hawk Down in Somalia.

You remind me of my mother's ex who is now deceased. He was a Vietnam Vet who went AWOL and received an OTH discharge. He could not receive VA benefits but said that "Nixon, automatically pardoned all us vets and we were given upgrades). He never had the paperwork to back up that statement and never received the benefits. He never had heath insurance. He drank a lot and had a stroke in his late 50s and died a year later. What a shame.

Comment

Sir,

Here's a question that might enlighten us a little more accurately. Do you have a military retiree ID card? Even as a grey area retiree you would have one. Have you EVER had one (since 1993?). I was an enlisted E-4 back in 1993, and I too don't recall this "early retirement program" happening, but...I was an E4 and a long way from retirement at that time.

Comment

I remember active component service members talking about temporary early retirement authority (TERA) that happened after the Gulf War. I do not know what were the conditions for the Guard and Reserve components of that era.

TERA is coming back for the Army and it will be applicable to senior enlisted and (warrant) officers that are passed over and have over 15 years of AFS. Obviously, the retirement will starting at a lower bracket (starting at 32%) and that is better than nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by fmcityslicker View Post
                  I remember active component service members talking about temporary early retirement authority (TERA) that happened after the Gulf War. I do not know what were the conditions for the Guard and Reserve components of that era.

TERA is coming back for the Army and it will be applicable to senior enlisted and (warrant) officers that are passed over and have over 15 years of AFS. Obviously, the retirement will starting at a lower bracket (starting at 32%) and that is better than nothing.
                  Just adding that TERA is only for Regular Army.

Comment

Working...
                  X