X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fort Benning OSUT advice needed

I am proud to say that I have enlisted/swore into the PA Army National Guard. My MOS is 11Bravo and I am shipping out mid-late January. I could use some advice on what to expect and everything in between. I am doing an 8 year contract with 2 years active and 6 NG. When my contract is up or close to it, is it possible to switch to active duty? I know it is a ways away but I was putting it into consideration but my main focus is graduating OSUT.
    Last edited by Cody Grove; October 18th, 2012, 09:06 PM.

Re: Fort Benning OSUT advice needed

Congratulations on your enlistment! You're in for an adventure .

As far as switching to Active Duty once your National Guard contract is up, it really depends on the needs of the Army at that point. Right now, it's not impossible to go AD, but it's a lot more difficult as it has been in the past. Switching at the end of your contract will make the transition much easier than trying to do so while you still under contract.

Good luck with the training! As you gear up, be sure to check out the packing list: Packing List

Comment

Originally posted by RyCass View Post
      Right now, it's not impossible to go AD, but it's a lot more difficult as it has been in the past. Switching at the end of your contract will make the transition much easier than trying to do so while you still under contract.Packing List

It actually is very impossible because they are not taking prior service 11B's, which is what he will be.

The days of just "swithching" are over.

He might be eligble for a 18X contract, possibly.
      Last edited by RyCass; October 19th, 2012, 10:35 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ParalegalNCO1 View Post

It actually is very impossible because they are not taking prior service 11B's, which is what he will be.

The days of just "swithching" are over.

He might be eligble for a 18X contract, possibly.
        I do not know the likelihood for each and every MOS, but thank you for the clarification. Perhaps this will change in 6 years once the OP has completed their contract.
        Last edited by RyCass; October 21st, 2012, 12:17 PM.

Comment

He probably said the SM could because the time frame we're looking at is years in the future. At that point, who knows. Everything he said is correct.

How do you know its very impossible to switch because they are not taking 11B's? I just had a helping hand in getting a young soldier from the 36th ID to an Active slot, so it is impossible.... jsut very hard.

Comment

Originally posted by jmclaughlin1701 View Post
            He probably said the SM could because the time frame we're looking at is years in the future. At that point, who knows. Everything he said is correct.

How do you know its very impossible to switch because they are not taking 11B's? I just had a helping hand in getting a young soldier from the 36th ID to an Active slot, so it is impossible.... jsut very hard.
            Actually this was incorrect "Right now, it's not impossible to go AD", it implies that this soldier, who will be 11B MOSQ, can then go into the active army, and that is not the case.

I understand the timeframe. I was reffering to the implication that they could "switch" during the current contract.

I know that it is impossible because the prior service business rules say so.

https://www.facebook.com/goarmy?sk=notes

I would be interested in hearing about how your 11B soldier recently enlisted into the RA as an 11B.....surely that isn't the equation that occurred (or there is at least more too it), becuase they can't do it right now.
            Last edited by ParalegalNCO1; October 19th, 2012, 12:03 PM.

Comment

I'm not sure what more there is to it. He was an E-4 out of the 144th Reg. We worked with a local, motivated recuiter (got the conditional release, etc). Without spelling this guys history out, he's married, older, great reviews, etc. It took about 3 months of doing, but we got him in. In addition, the recruiter did advise us that the rules change about every 3 months.... so, for example, an 88M can currently go over with little fanfare.

Was it a fluke and this guy lucked out? Probably. But it still happened so it's really hard to be definitive about anything in regards to what can or can not happen... unless its an RE4!! (and I'm sure someone will pipe up about that).

Comment

I'm not sure what more there is to it. He was an E-4 out of the 144th Reg. We worked with a local, motivated recuiter (got the conditional release, etc). Without spelling this guys history out, he's married, older, great reviews, etc. It took about 3 months of doing, but we got him in. In addition, the recruiter did advise us that the rules change about every 3 months.... so, for example, an 88M can currently go over with little fanfare.

Was it a fluke and this guy lucked out? Probably. But it still happened so it's really hard to be definitive about anything in regards to what can or can not happen... unless its an RE4!! (and I'm sure someone will pipe up about that).
                I would bet all the money I have (you know SSG's are rich) that your guy signed an 18X contract, because its the only way in if you don't hold one of those MOS's on the business rules.....thats why they exist. USAREC will not even entertain waivers, unless you have an ASI of some sort.
                Last edited by ParalegalNCO1; October 19th, 2012, 12:36 PM.

Comment

Ok, correction. He was AB qualified... Didn't know that mattered, but yes.

Comment

Ok, correction. He was AB qualified... Didn't know that mattered, but yes.
                    And actually I looked at the historical PS Business rules. There was one open time period for 11B, so it is likely it was during that time period. USAREC is stricter than strict with these rules. It reminds me of the way the Air Force operated regarding prior service over the past many years. They just didn't need people, no one could get back in, just like the Army today.

Comment

I understand the uber strict rules. This case just goes to show that nothing is ever concrete. Back to the original SM question, it is possible, however highly unlikely that they'll be able to go AD in the near future. Again though, years from now, its a crap-shoot.

If AD is something that anyone in the NG wants to look it, it'd be helpful to enlist with an MOS they the big army needs continously or is always short of (combat underwater basket weaver anyone?).

Comment

I understand the uber strict rules. This case just goes to show that nothing is ever concrete. Back to the original SM question, it is possible, however highly unlikely that they'll be able to go AD in the near future. Again though, years from now, its a crap-shoot.

If AD is something that anyone in the NG wants to look it, it'd be helpful to enlist with an MOS they the big army needs continously or is always short of (combat underwater basket weaver anyone?).
                        No, they should really just enlist active duty. That list will continue to get shorter, especially once Afghanistan is over.

Comment

That would be the easy way and what fun is that?

Comment

Looks like the question has been answered and we're getting into topics better discussed in other threads.

Comment

Working...
                            X