Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just making sure I get all the bonuses and perks....

I have read through all the stickies, but I just want to be sure on this. It's all very confusing, and my recruiter is new on the job.

I am prior National Guard (11B). I have been out for 12 years - got an honorable discharge. I am awaiting a date to go to MEPS. I am enlisting as 09S. Here are the benefits I will receive, as I understand it:

GI Bill (~$300 month)
    Kicker (~250 month)
    SLRP (only if I forego the kicker, right?) -- I only have about $6500 in loans and I won't have to start paying them back until I finish college.
    Tricare -- $1000 maximum out of pocket covers entire family for the year
    Life Insurance -- I believe $27 gets me $400,000 in coverage
    Retirement after 20 years (17 more to go).
    Tricare for life if I retire after 20 years (is it free??)
    Cheap dental insurance for entire family (recruiter said it was like $25/month)

Am I missing anything? If I can only pick SLRP or the kicker, I will probably go with the kicker. I am unemployed right now and could use the monthly stipend.

Thanks for the help!

Re: Just making sure I get all the bonuses and perks....

Tricare family premium is just under 200 a month with a 300 family deductible. The 100 0 is the out of pocket catostrophic cap. There is no health care for a grey area retiree. Tricare at 60 and Tricare for life at 65. No retirement pay until 60. The dental for your entire family is considerably more. I'll look up the about v and post. Otherwise your good to go.

Comment

Re: Just making sure I get all the bonuses and perks....

Originally posted by Mongoose772 View Post
      Tricare family premium is just under 200 a month with a 300 family deductible. The 100 0 is the out of pocket catostrophic cap. There is no health care for a grey area retiree. Tricare at 60 and Tricare for life at 65. No retirement pay until 60. The dental for your entire family is considerably more. I'll look up the about v and post. Otherwise your good to go.
      How soon will I start getting the GI Bill and kicker payments? I already started the University of Florida last month. Since getting laid off last month, I sure could use the money. I should be going to MEPS any day now, just waiting on approval of a medical waiver. Thanks!

by the way, I am prior service NG. Got out in 2000. Never had any perks back then, just drill pay. I am enlisting as 09S, to start the traditional program next March

Comment

Working...
      X