X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DD-214 Problem

I'm posting on behalf of my mother actually. We have been trying to re-locate her DD-214, we couldn't find it in her military boxes, so after doing some research, we found an address where we filled out a form and sent it in, and they were supposed to mail us back her Discharge paperwork, but according to them she never existed. We are unsure of what to do now, and whom to go to. So I was wondering if anyone else has had a problem like this? And if so how to get by it and such? I'm new to the forum so I'm unsure if this is even in the right board- I dont know if it matters but she did her basic training in Fort Jackson South Carolina in the mid to late 70's.- Thank you in advance.

Re: DD-214 Problem

Is this who you went through to get her records? The National Personnel Records Center. Being less than 62 years ago since she served, her records are not public and will need to have a written request. It sounds like you may have already done this.

Has she changed her SSN or name?

Comment

Originally posted by RyCass View Post
      Is this who you went through to get her records? The National Personnel Records Center. Being less than 62 years ago since she served, her records are not public and will need to have a written request. It sounds like you may have already done this.

Has she changed her SSN or name?
      Well, she has changed her name, she enlisted as "Sharon Gillen" but came out "Sharon Gillen Harvey" as she got married, and on the form she made sure to mention that, and I'm pretty sure that's what we did, it was in St. Louis, we are both pretty sure we've done that because we did write a request and send it in with all her military information and such and they sent something back basically saying (if I recall correctly) that they have no records of her ever existing.

Comment

Originally posted by Miranda Lemke View Post
        I'm posting on behalf of my mother actually. We have been trying to re-locate her DD-214, we couldn't find it in her military boxes, so after doing some research, we found an address where we filled out a form and sent it in, and they were supposed to mail us back her Discharge paperwork, but according to them she never existed. We are unsure of what to do now, and whom to go to. So I was wondering if anyone else has had a problem like this? And if so how to get by it and such? I'm new to the forum so I'm unsure if this is even in the right board- I dont know if it matters but she did her basic training in Fort Jackson South Carolina in the mid to late 70's.- Thank you in advance.
        That is a long basic training which should only last 2 months. Perhaps it was in the early 70s and her records may be in ashes. click the link

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nationa...ds_Center_fire

I know the dates in the article do not pertain to the years you have mentioned but who knows? What did you see in her military boxes? Photos of her serving? Can you provide more information?

Did she serve overseas? What was her job? Was she a WAC?
        Last edited by Chief Kemosabe; August 24th, 2012, 03:05 PM.

Comment

I said mid to late because I cant remember which. It wasn't in the early 70's because she would have still been in high school when the fire took place. She enlisted after 76 is all I can remember without asking her right now.

Comment

In cases where the DD Form 214 was accidentally included in a household goods shipment, contact your orderly room or Military Personnel Center at your base first. Explain your situation and see if you can get a faxed or e-mailed copy of your DD214 sent to you. In some cases, you may be able to have the DD214 faxed directly to your nearest VA office, so be sure to do some coordination with a local VA representative first.

Comment

Originally posted by eusebio21 View Post
              In cases where the DD Form 214 was accidentally included in a household goods shipment, contact your orderly room or Military Personnel Center at your base first. Explain your situation and see if you can get a faxed or e-mailed copy of your DD214 sent to you. In some cases, you may be able to have the DD214 faxed directly to your nearest VA office, so be sure to do some coordination with a local VA representative first.

Is this a spambot?

Comment

This is what I used and I got it in 3 weeks.
                http://www.archives.gov/veterans/mil...rvice-records/

Comment

Originally posted by Tigershark View Post
                  This is what I used and I got it in 3 weeks.
                  http://www.archives.gov/veterans/mil...rvice-records/
                  We tried that and they didnt have them.

Comment

The DD214 is not issued for re-enlistments or promotions. You may have received a certificate stating you have been discharged from active duty pending your re-enlistment or promotion, but this is usually a simple formality observed as a protocol as part of the promotion or re-enlistment process.

Comment

Moderators, I have reported that eusedbio21 is a spambot.

Comment

Originally posted by fmcityslicker View Post
                        Moderators, I have reported that eusedbio21 is a spambot.
                        Roger. I've been watching him, too.

Comment

Working...
                        X