X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bah / bas

Quick question for everyone. Just joined the gaurd so im sort of oblivious to all the benefits. When it comes to BAH, i was wondering if in my situation I would be qualified. I currently live at home with my mother but I pay half of the mortgage ($600) to her to assist her with the house payment. While I am gone would it be possible to qualify for BAH so my mother can continue paying the house (paying my half). We do have a legal notarized form stating im "leasing" a portion of the house and states my rent etc. Is this going to be sufficient? I just dont want me joining the gaurd to burden my mother.

Also what is BAS? and what are the eligibility requirements for that?

Thanks for all the info!

Look foward to start Basic!

Re: Bah / bas

No, you will not be authorized BAH in this instance.

That is not to say you can't still help pay 600 dollars while you are gone. You will still be receiving a pay check and you can do with it as you please, to include sending your mother money so as not to be a burden on her.

Comment

Originally posted by HR NCO View Post
      No, you will not be authorized BAH in this instance.

That is not to say you can't still help pay 600 dollars while you are gone. You will still be receiving a pay check and you can do with it as you please, to include sending your mother money so as not to be a burden on her.
      Cmon!! Why does he have to waste his money if the government can pay it for him? lol

Comment

Originally posted by fmcityslicker View Post
        Cmon!! Why does he have to waste his money if the government can pay it for him? lol
        BAH fraud is serious business. While it is possible to create a legally-defensible arrangement with one's parents for rent, that means that your parents need to claim that income on their taxes. It opens up a can of worms, so please don't take this on lightly. It can be more trouble than it is worth.

Comment

Originally posted by Blessed1 View Post
          Quick question for everyone. Just joined the gaurd so im sort of oblivious to all the benefits. When it comes to BAH, i was wondering if in my situation I would be qualified. I currently live at home with my mother but I pay half of the mortgage ($600) to her to assist her with the house payment. While I am gone would it be possible to qualify for BAH so my mother can continue paying the house (paying my half). We do have a legal notarized form stating im "leasing" a portion of the house and states my rent etc. Is this going to be sufficient? I just dont want me joining the gaurd to burden my mother.

Thanks for all the info!

To clarify, BAH is for those that have dependents (which is why you don't qualify) and BAS is for the Soldier on Active Duty for their meals.

Comment

I was under the impression that if I have a signed lease I will receive BAH while I am away during my IET. I've heard a lot of conflicting stories about it, but my RSP NCO asked me to bring her a certified and signed copy of the lease.

Comment

Originally posted by RyCass View Post
              To clarify, BAH is for those that have dependents (which is why you don't qualify) and BAS is for the Soldier on Active Duty for their meals.
              It is also for single soldiers if the they have a lease or mortgage.

Originally posted by VA25U View Post
              I was under the impression that if I have a signed lease I will receive BAH while I am away during my IET. I've heard a lot of conflicting stories about it, but my RSP NCO asked me to bring her a certified and signed copy of the lease.
              Yes, you can get BAH if you have a lease. However, it can not be with a family member unless it is a property that would be available to rent to anyone (not just you), and also it must be rental income claimed on their taxes.

So for example, if your mom owned numerous rental properties and rented one out to you, then you are eligible to receive BAH.

Your RSP NCO should be aware of these stipulations.

Comment

Originally posted by matthew.ritchie View Post
                BAH fraud is serious business. While it is possible to create a legally-defensible arrangement with one's parents for rent, that means that your parents need to claim that income on their taxes. It opens up a can of worms, so please don't take this on lightly. It can be more trouble than it is worth.
                Exactly my point. Since coming in the service in 1983, I have witnessed so much fraud, waste and abuse. Mostly in arranged marriages and manipulating the travel settlement. Even with better systems and controls; individuals find loopholes. My sarcasm equals my frustration at times.

Comment

Originally posted by Blessed1 View Post
                  Thanks for all the info!
                  If your name is on the lease and you have a utility bill in your name then you can get BAH. Talk to your Recruiter.

Comment

Originally posted by Squash View Post
                    If your name is on the lease and you have a utility bill in your name then you can get BAH. Talk to your Recruiter.
                    The individual is referring to a mortgage not a lease. Totally different. No such thing as a month to month mortgage. He is not eligible.

Comment

have you not payed attention to any other post in this thread?? He is obviously not eligible to receive BAH, and it has been pointed out as to why not. Please don't try to chime in with your opinion when others have given facts.

Comment

I told the young man one way to get BAH (a lease and a utility bill). Let me know if I'm wrong.

Comment

I told the young man one way to get BAH (a lease and a utility bill). Let me know if I'm wrong.
                          You're wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by HR NCO View Post
                            Yes, you can get BAH if you have a lease. However, it can not be with a family member unless it is a property that would be available to rent to anyone (not just you), and also it must be rental income claimed on their taxes.

So for example, if your mom owned numerous rental properties and rented one out to you, then you are eligible to receive BAH.

Good luck finding anyone that knows that at State...trust me.

Comment

Being correct and being relevant to what was asked are two different things. All you did was add confusion to the current situation.

Comment

Working...
                              X