Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Bah / bas

Originally posted by ParalegalNCO1 View Post
    You're wrong.
    "A DA Form 5960 must be submitted with either a Mortgage/ Lease/Rental documents or a copy of a current Tax Bill if you no longer have a Mortgage. The Lease or Rental agreement can be notarized otherwise a Privacy Act Statement will have to be completed and submitted with the Lease or Rental agreement. The DA Form 5960 must be signed and dated by the member and certified by the member’s Unit Commander. A copy of the member’s orders must accompany the DA Form 5960/ supporting documents and sent to the USP&FO Military Pay section through the member’s Unit. *NGR 37-104-3"

Comment

Again, you are not listening to three to four posters who have already gave the proper advice. Blessed lives with his mother who has a mortgage under her name so unless he is married or just has dependents; he is not eligible for BAH. Telling him to go talk to his recruiter after experienced soldiers told him what the outcome will be is unnecessary, extraneous and possibly confusing on your part.

He could ask his recruiter but the answer will be the same as ours but your response suggests that he may still be eligible if he persists with that information you stated.
      Last edited by Chief Kemosabe; July 31st, 2012, 01:13 PM.

Comment

The Chinese have won many gold medals so far in the olympics...let me know if I'm wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Squash View Post
          "A DA Form 5960 must be submitted with either a Mortgage/ Lease/Rental documents or a copy of a current Tax Bill if you no longer have a Mortgage. The Lease or Rental agreement can be notarized otherwise a Privacy Act Statement will have to be completed and submitted with the Lease or Rental agreement. The DA Form 5960 must be signed and dated by the member and certified by the memberís Unit Commander. A copy of the memberís orders must accompany the DA Form 5960/ supporting documents and sent to the USP&FO Military Pay section through the memberís Unit. *NGR 37-104-3"
          Maybe you missed the part where I said you were wrong...so, you're wrong.

While the excerpt of the reg you posted is accurate, you have to take it into context. Just because there is a process to do something, doesn't mean you are authorized to do it.

Comment

Originally posted by HR NCO View Post
            The Chinese have won many gold medals so far in the olympics...let me know if I'm wrong.
            It is after 11pm over here and a FOB wide AFN blackout so I cant go to the DFAC, GYM, or USO to watch the games but I just saw this. Good stuff

We tied for medals not Gold!

http://www.sbnation.com/london-olymp...count-team-usa

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ol...icle-1.1125727
            Last edited by Chief Kemosabe; July 31st, 2012, 02:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Blessed1 View Post
              We do have a legal notarized form stating im "leasing" a portion of the house and states my rent etc.
              You will need this lease and a utility bill in your name.

Comment

Originally posted by Squash View Post
                You will need this lease and a utility bill in your name.
                LISTEN!!!! Do you have comprehension problems? What part of HE IS NOT AUTHORIZED do you not understand??? You can notorize a dog turd all you want, but it is still just a turd. Notorizing something does not mean if gives you something special. Please reread my post above where I explained why he is not authorized BAH. "leasing a portion" of his moms house in no way authorizes him BAH, not even if the president himself notorized it. He simply lives with his mom and helps with the mortgage...creating a lease for this does not mean he gets BAH.

Are you seriously not understanding this????

Comment

You can't rent from your parents and get BAH. Not legally, at least.

Comment

I never chuckled so hard at a post until I read "You can notorize a dog turd all you want, but it is still just a turd".

I can see Squash in PM with the OP. "psst, dont listen to him, you can get BAH. Give me a call and I provide further details" lol.

Comment

Slick, those two NCO's are my favorite! They're like little honey badgers.

Comment

I have a question about Filling out the 5960. I am married to another military member. We keep EVERYTHING separate when it comes to our finances. Do I have to put that I am married on my form? I do not want to claim any w/ dependent benefits. My husband always has claimed his children for him to get the w/ dependent rate. Even before we got married. So it really won't change the monetary result anyway. I just want to know if I can check SINGLE on the form. And if not, why not since I would get the single rate anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by weta View Post
                          I have a question about Filling out the 5960. I am married to another military member. We keep EVERYTHING separate when it comes to our finances. Do I have to put that I am married on my form? I do not want to claim any w/ dependent benefits. My husband always has claimed his children for him to get the w/ dependent rate. Even before we got married. So it really won't change the monetary result anyway. I just want to know if I can check SINGLE on the form. And if not, why not since I would get the single rate anyway.
                          I'm still reading up on this, but from my understanding, the simple answer is that you have to claim you're married on all your military forms. However, with both of you being service members, only one of you will able to claim the dependent rate as you stated. Usually, this is the higher ranking individual. Therefore, claiming that you are married on the 5960 won't change your single rate in the end as you'll be coded differently than a married service member that is not married to another service member. Does this make sense? I'll try to post more details as I get them, or maybe others can chime in here.

Comment

Originally posted by RyCass View Post
                            I'm still reading up on this, but from my understanding, the simple answer is that you have to claim you're married on all your military forms. However, with both of you being service members, only one of you will able to claim the dependent rate as you stated. Usually, this is the higher ranking individual. Therefore, claiming that you are married on the 5960 won't change your single rate in the end as you'll be coded differently than a married service member that is not married to another service member. Does this make sense? I'll try to post more details as I get them, or maybe others can chime in here.
                            If all the children are his then she doesn't have any eligible dependants to draw the w/ rate anyway. Two married military with no children both draw bah at the without rates. Same situation for her.

I don't understand why this is even a question....just fill out the form the way you're supposed to.

Comment

Originally posted by ParalegalNCO1 View Post
                              If all the children are his then she doesn't have any eligible dependants to draw the w/ rate anyway. Two married military with no children both draw bah at the without rates. Same situation for her.

I don't understand why this is even a question....just fill out the form the way you're supposed to.
                              Actually, this isn't entirely accurate. If she is married, she has at least one dependent: her husband. Therefore, regardless if the children are hers or not, she will qualify for the Married BAH instead of the Single BAH. You are correct, however. Everyone does get BAH; it just depends on the rate amount.

Bottom line, she needs to fill out the form correctly. Once the information reaches SIDPERS, then who claims what other dependents will be sorted out and coded appropriately.

Comment

Originally posted by RyCass View Post
                                Actually, this isn't entirely accurate. If she is married, she has at least one dependent: her husband. Therefore, regardless if the children are hers or not, she will qualify for the Married BAH instead of the Single BAH. You are correct, however. Everyone does get BAH; it just depends on the rate amount.
                                No...I am 100% correct. Two married military members (both on active duty) with no dependant children both draw BAH at the without dependant rate.

Two married military members both with the SAME DEPENDANT child...one draws BAH at the w/dependant rate, and the other at the single rate. (The senior person usually draws at the dependant rate).

If those kids are not her dependants...whether she is married to a military member or not....she is going to get the without dependant rate. If she was married to a civilian, or had a child of her own, it would be a different story.

You can read about it here....but it is very complex. (Ive also addressed this topic many times)

DoD Financial Management Regulation Volume 7A, Chapter 26

You should know not to doubt me by now.
                                Last edited by ParalegalNCO1; September 25th, 2012, 01:19 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X