X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Student Loan Repayment/My Situation

Hello all, I just wanted to come here and explain my situation and to see if anyone could chime in.

I'm all set to go to MEPS this upcoming monday after several meetings with my recruiter. As of yesterday I was signing up for 6 years, getting the GI Bill, school tuition, and was told the school loan repayment should not be a problem, just needed to be verified.

Today I get the call back from my recruiter with "bad news". I was told that I can NOT get the student loan repayment because they only offered it to units that were understrength. Since none I've been told were understrength, "nobody can get the student loan repayment". My recruiter then proceeds to tell me the option I could go with. He suggested I sign up for 3 years, then after the 3 years, if I reenlist for 2 years he claims I would then 100% get the student loan repayment program. Now to me this sounds like a run around trick, "hey sign up and we'll give you the world once you do, just sign the contract first". With the 3 year enlistment, this already takes out my GI Bill(disappointing), and leaves me just basically hoping that after my 3 years if I reenlist I'd get those loans paid. This raises many red flags for me. Even with the 6 year plan, I've been told that the loans would be paid off gradually over that 6 year span. Now if what he claims is true, if I get zero paid on my loans during that 3 year contract, it doesn't seem like they would pay 100% of my loans($16,500) paid off in just those 2 years of reenlisting. On top of that, I'm not even sure if you can just reenlist for only 2 years?

Please refrain from the "if your doing this for money, then don't sign up" talk. Has nothing at all to do with money(NG doesn't pay anything and no enlistment bonuses anyways), but if I'm signing my life away on this contract, and absolutely have a chance to be in combat, get killed etc, I need something in return ie the benefits the National Guard advertises, has all over this website, etc. I've been told by members of every branch, guard, etc that the military will get everything out of you they possibly can, plus more. I in return need to get everything I can possibly get out of them. Keep in mind, I'm 31 years old, very serious about being a solider and serving my country. I'm not a 17-20 year old kid that you can tell anything, and show them a dotted line, and they sign it. I've done plenty of research, etc. I know not to sign anything with an "I think so" as an answer whether that is military or non-military.

I would more than appreciate any info on this matter.

Thank You all.

Re: Student Loan Repayment/My Situation

that is crazy as far as I know and that isnt much that it doesnt matter what u sign 3, 6, 2 year contract every first enlistment is 8 years long so many years active guard or whatever you want to call it and so many years in which they could call you up at any time day or knight and reactivate you. so if your going to do it i would say bite the bullet and get something you want out of it. i know i wish i had

Comment

Originally posted by SPC Evans View Post
      that is crazy as far as I know and that isnt much that it doesnt matter what u sign 3, 6, 2 year contract every first enlistment is 8 years long so many years active guard or whatever you want to call it and so many years in which they could call you up at any time day or knight and reactivate you. so if your going to do it i would say bite the bullet and get something you want out of it. i know i wish i had
      I'm well aware of the initial enlistment, and how you are IRR for the remainer of the 8 years. I really don't know what your getting at in this post. My questions were about the loan repayment program.

you know you wish you had what?
      Last edited by BigBlueNation; July 26th, 2012, 02:47 AM.

Comment

Your recruiter is "partially" correct. The only part he is mistaken on is that you would have to do an additional 6 years to get the student loan repayment, not just 2. Your loans are then paid off partially each year after that, not one lump sum.

You could do a 2 year extension, but it wouldnt really benefit you in any way.

Comment

Originally posted by HR NCO View Post
          Your recruiter is "partially" correct. The only part he is mistaken on is that you would have to do an additional 6 years to get the student loan repayment, not just 2. Your loans are then paid off partially each year after that, not one lump sum.

What I'm curious about is the validity of "100% guarantee" comment the recruiter made about getting the SLRP after the OP re-enlists/extends their contract for 6 years. If they have to be in a valid, non-over-strength MOS vacancy (see my sticky under Benefits), then wouldn't the OP potentially have the same issue later as they have now?

To the OP, are there other MOS vacancy that offer the SLRP and that you would be interested in as well?

Comment

VA Benefits nonwithstanding, military incentives change based on the personnel needs of the service. In the National Guard, each state has some degree of flexibility to determine what MOSs and units are authorized some incentives, at other times incentives are administered much more "globally", with nearly every quality enlistment being given a lion's portion. This has little if nothing to do with the applicant (although many times a minimum ASVAB score, for example, may be required such as qualifying for the GI Bill Kicker), and has everything to do with current and projected strength. Many times people have a misconception that the military is desparate to have you, and should offer all kinds of wonderful incentives money at applicants. The reality is, (and how I ultimately deal with applicants), you are supremely fortunate to be offered the opportunity to serve (for a total of about 300 days) over the next 6 years and be compensated by a staggering array of financial, educational and healthcare benefits, amongst others. If SLRP isn't avalible in your state currently, and that is a deciding factor for you to enlist, than perhaps you should reconsider. For me, the GI Bill is alone worth signing for the standard 6X2 contract. About 95% of non-prior service contracts are 6X2s. Personally, I wouldn't mess around with a 3 year enlistment and then hope the incentive regulations are similar to today's when you are ready to re-enlist in 36 months.

Comment

Originally posted by HR NCO View Post

Thank You.

Comment

Originally posted by RyCass View Post
                What I'm curious about is the validity of "100% guarantee" comment the recruiter made about getting the SLRP after the OP re-enlists/extends their contract for 6 years. If they have to be in a valid, non-over-strength MOS vacancy (see my sticky under Benefits), then wouldn't the OP potentially have the same issue later as they have now?

To the OP, are there other MOS vacancy that offer the SLRP and that you would be interested in as well?
                I was told that there is not any unit's in Kentucky that are understrength, thus no new enlistee's in this state are eligible for that program.

Comment

Originally posted by BigBlueNation View Post
                  I was told that there is not any unit's in Kentucky that are understrength, thus no new enlistee's in this state are eligible for that program.
                  That's my point. There's no guarantee that the OP will be in a better position to receive this incentive three years from now. I'm surprised that the recruiter "guaranteed" this.

Comment

Working...
                  X