Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wearing of Dress Blues by Honorable Discharged Army National Guard and Army Reserve .

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wearing of Dress Blues by Honorable Discharged Army National Guard and Army Reserve .

I served in the Tennesee Army National Guard and Army Reserve from 8Feb69 though 7Feb75. Spec 5, Helicopter Crew Chief. I was Honorable Discharged from both. I will be attending a Marine Corps Birthday Ceremony with a Ball afterwards in November with my son who is a Sargent presently serving there in Penescola, FL. He has asked me to wear Dress Blues at the Ball. I have researched the web, read Army r670-1, read the post here Thread:Uniform question, and I have corresponded with a retired Marine Lawyer who has written that I am eligible but, my mind is still not at ease. Is there some National Guard publication or regulation that would give this out nice and clear.
    Last edited by Patton, Ted W.; August 18th, 2012, 01:42 PM. Reason: To clearify that it is a Military Cermony and not just a Marine Corps Ball

Re: Wearing of Dress Blues by Honorable Discharged Army National Guard and Army Reserve .

Originally posted by Patton, Ted W. View Post
    I served in the Tennesee Army National Guard and Army Reserve from 8Feb69 though 7Feb75. Spec 5, Helicopter Crew Chief. I was Honorable Discharged from both. I will be attending a Marine Corps Birthday Ball in November with my son who is a Sargent presently serving there in Penescola, FL. He has asked me to wear Dress Blues at the Ball. I have researched the web, read Army r670-1, read the post here Thread:Uniform question, and I have corresponded with a retired Marine Lawyer who has written that I am eligible but, my mind is still not at ease. Is there some National Guard publication or regulation that would give this out nice and clear.
    Only if you served during a period of conflict....

AR 670–1 • 3 February 2005 315
    30–4. Wear of the uniform by former members of the Army
    a. Unless qualified under another provision of this regulation, or under the provisions of section 772, title 10, United
    States Code (10 USC 772), former members of the Army may wear the uniform if they served honorably during a declared or undeclared war, and if their most recent service was terminated under honorable conditions. Personnel who qualify under these conditions will wear the Army uniform in the highest grade they held during such war service, in accordance with 10 USC 772.
    b. The uniform is authorized for wear only for the following ceremonial occasions, and when traveling to and from the ceremony or function. Uniforms for these occasions are restricted to service and dress uniforms; the BDU and physical fitness uniforms will not be worn.
    (1) When attending military funerals, memorial services, weddings, inaugurals, and other occasions of ceremony.
    (2) When attending parades on national or state holidays, or other patriotic parades or ceremonies in which any active or reserve United States military unit is taking part. Wear of the Army uniform at any other time, or for any other purpose than stated above, is prohibited.
    Last edited by RyCass; July 24th, 2012, 07:26 AM. Reason: Formatting error; difficult readability

Comment

Re: Wearing of Dress Blues by Honorable Discharged Army National Guard and Army Reserve .

Thank you Staff Sergeant for your reply.

So, serving in the National Guard during the Viet Nam Conflict, an undeclared war, but, not being activated during that time; I would not be aurthorized to wear dress blue uniform at a Military occasion ?

Comment

I think you're reading the regulation backwards. It states "served honorably during a declared OR undeclared war." Paralegal can correct me if I'm wrong, but I take this to mean that being enlisted in the National Guard during this time would make you eligible.

Comment

Originally posted by RyCass View Post
          I think you're reading the regulation backwards. It states "served honorably during a declared OR undeclared war." Paralegal can correct me if I'm wrong, but I take this to mean that being enlisted in the National Guard during this time would make you eligible.
          That is how it reads. What it intends is hopefully the same story. I find it odd that someone who served a period of time and separated with no retirement of any kind is still authorized to suit up.....but that is what the reg says, so what I think doesn't really matter.

Comment

There goes Para again, quoting the dam* regs.

He's right on though.

Thinking it through, you shouldn't find it irregular that "war veterans" regardless of retirement status are authorized to wear their uniform on somewhat rare, ceremonial occasions. Everyone's hometown parades are filled with WWII vets for example, that manage to still put on their pinks and greens for these patriotic events.

Comment

Mr. Patton has been good enough on the computer to access other forums and ask the same question but cannot interpret the regs

Everyone is right on. I am retirement eligible but I think I will keep the uniforms in my closet. My Marine Corps uniforms dont fit me anymore.

Comment

Working...
              X