X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TriCare vs. GS Health Insurance Options

I am a Reservist (not activated) and about to become a GS employee. I am trying to figure out what is the best Health Insurance coverage for me and my family. I have spoken to TriCare reps and understand the deductibles; catastrophic yearly caps; monthly charges and % I am expected to pay at each hospital/care provider visit. My question is which coverage is better? Who has experience with both systems? Who knows the perks? I NEED HELP DECIDING! Thanks all in advance for their input and experiences.

Re: TriCare vs. GS Health Insurance Options

Doesn't really matter. Once you're eligible for the FEHB (GS health insurance) you are required to use that. You're not allowed to use tricare. Why? I dont know but it's tricare policy

http://www.tricare.mil/mybenefit/Pro...EReserveSelect

Eligible Beneficiaries
    TRICARE Reserve Select is available to the Selected Reserve members of the Ready Reserve (and their families) who meet the following qualifications:

Not on active duty orders
    Not covered under the Transitional Assistance Management Program
    Not eligible for or enrolled in the FEHB program (as defined in Chapter 89 of Title 5 U.S.C.) or currently covered under FEHB, either under their own eligibility or through a family member.

Note: Those members in the Individual Ready Reserve (IRR) including Navy Reserve Voluntary Training Units (VTU) do not qualify to purchase TRICARE Reserve Select.

I had all the same questions too and was met with that little bit of info.

As far as FEHB, I suggest you look very strongly at blue cross basic plan and you look away from GEHA.

Comment

I'm a GS 7 and did not elect to get insurance when I got the job a few months ago, i'm waiting for open enrollment because I have different coverage right now. I know that the GS Civil Service system offers many different covereages, it listed at least five different options to choose from. I stopped looking at them after a short period of time after I changed my mind about enrolling but there is something for anyone within the plans. Depends what is best for the individual/family.

Comment

Originally posted by show_stopper999 View Post
        Doesn't really matter. Once you're eligible for the FEHB (GS health insurance) you are required to use that. You're not allowed to use tricare. Why? I dont know but it's tricare policy

As far as FEHB, I suggest you look very strongly at blue cross basic plan and you look away from GEHA.

Ok thanks for thin info, so I make sure I understand your opinion correctly. You are saying once I get hired on I MUST CHANGE from Tri-Care to something else? Wow that's just so unfair. Why do I even continue with the Reserve's if I receive no more "perks"? Very interesting. I will check out that link now.

Thanks!

Comment

Yes, you will no longer be elligible for tricare reserve which from what I've heard, isnt all that bad of a deal. FEHB is pretty good if you go with good insurance. I dont know the reasoning as to why you have to use that, I'd imagine it's got to do with cost control on the part of the military, but who knows. I should say you're required to use that versus tricare. If you dont want FEHB you can always go get private insurance but that would be mucho $$$.

I have Blue Cross Basic (self only coverage) which is probably one of the better plans. I pay $56.25 per pay period for that and the Army (I'm an Army employee) pays $168.77 per pay period for that coverage. The GS pay periods are every two weeks, which equates to 26 pay periods per year.

Blue Cross Basic with unlimited dependents is more expensive. I end up paying pretty much $20 for everything. A doctors visit (non-physical) is $20. Chiropractor is $25 (and some change). They cover a lot.

If you have something that's a bit more serious, go with Blue Cross Standard. My girlfriend has had a migraine for about 6 years straight and it's due to an actual nerve problem. So, she's a patient at Hopkins headache center and every 4 (to six) months has to have a nerve in her neck zapped with electricity to shut it off so she isnt in pain. Its considered an experimental procedure. Blue Cross Standard covers it.

As far as perks, well the extra $$ is a perk, plus the 15 days of paid military leave a year from the civilian job is a perk, plus reservist differential pay (make up pay) if deployed and under title 10 orders is a perk. Educational benefits is a perk, etc.

You just cant use the (from what I hear) okay at best insurance of Tri-care.

You'll also have to pick dental and vision insurance. They're relatively cheap. I pay $18.57 for dental insurance per pay period. I dont have vision insurance.

Comment

Well when you run down the perks, you are right about that. I'll be heading to Battle Staff this October and will get the go ahead from my GS boss soon. He's just got to clear it with the powers that be. I talked with Tricare Overseas via the telephone this afternoon, the lady told me that if I am a TPU Reservist, there is no reason why I should have to give up the insurance. I will check out the other FEHB insurance with CPAC once they call me in to sign my contract. This is a very exciting and somewhat confusing transition for me, and I appreciate your input to my questions!

Thnaks a bunch!

Comment

Originally posted by Chairborne_Ranger View Post
              I am a Reservist (not activated) and about to become a GS employee. I am trying to figure out what is the best Health Insurance coverage for me and my family. I have spoken to TriCare reps and understand the deductibles; catastrophic yearly caps; monthly charges and % I am expected to pay at each hospital/care provider visit. My question is which coverage is better? Who has experience with both systems? Who knows the perks? I NEED HELP DECIDING! Thanks all in advance for their input and experiences.
              As far as I know, they are now allowing TriCare to continue.. The compulsory GS insurance was there till last fiscal.. At the end of the day, it doesn't matter much.. they both boil down to similar costs after taking all factors into consideration.. it would be about +/- 5% at max... the difference... hope this helps you to make your choice.. Additionally, these guys had a comparative option for the civil services.. http://www.onlineinsuranceportal.com...lth-insurance/
              - i couldn't find it today, but maybe you can search through other pages of their site..

Comment

I was trying to figure out the same options for Health Insurance so, thanks to the above post. Good thing that I read first. Well, I learned that cost of family medical insurance is also increasing. Twas discovered from the yearly survey by the Kaiser Family Foundation. Though the boost this year was small when compared with last year. Have already heard about this? Having so, I knew having a wife and kids is costly. Apart from having to get a larger place, one also has to feed them and get insurance for them in the event they get sick.

Comment

Working...
                X